Track Skills

ft_critical

Track Skills

Postby ft_critical » Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:33 pm

Hello all.

Newbie here. I have done my first track session, a 100 lapper. Then an elimination race - mixed grade. I was near the front for the elimination race and riding the black line in second wheel. Two riders on different occasions rode around the outside and then dropped in across the red line. I got spooked each time and semi-stopped pedalling (bike jumped a bit). I am used to close racing in a crit or a road race because I have a lot of control over my speed and position, AND, I am used to contact in the bunch. But I am really unsure how to deal with it on the track. The second time I moved onto the (azure line)... Now clearly this is newbie fear and lack of awareness of the actual personal space I need to ride safely. I know that will come with experience, but,

Can you please give me some tips/tricks on close racing, positioning, what do do in contact (clearly stopping pedaling and yielding my position is not an option) etc?

Thanks all advice gratefully received,

FT

Derny Driver

Re: Track Skills

Postby Derny Driver » Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:48 pm

Hi mate, Ive had the privilege to see lots of great track riders doing what they do, and marvel at their skills. Last weekend I saw the Austral wheelrace, national TP and Team sprint titles, and the mens and womens national madison championships - from trackside. I was able to chat at length to Sam Welsford, Kell O'Brien, Leigh Howard and Cameron Scott ...the top 4 track riders in the country. Ive also been lucky to coach / train some of our best masters track riders, multiple National and World champions, talk tactics with them and watch them from trackside as they race. I am a very lucky man indeed.
Now back to your question ...
On the track, just like in a big road bunch, you move in centimetre increments. If you are boxed in at second wheel and need to get out, you move up the track 6 cm at the start of the bend, another 6cm mid bend, and 6cm as you exit the bend. You take another 6cm at the start of the straight and bingo, you have half your handlebar width which is all you need to go forward past the guy blocking you. You do not panic, you take time and tiny increments to create room.
Most crashes occur when riders swing up the track and take out the front wheel of someone overlapping them on the high side. Never overlap a wheel on the high side of a person near the front of the bunch. If the front rider twitches, the riders behind nervously swing up and will take your front wheel out.
Never overlap a wheel on the lower side if you are down in the black line area as that is almost certainly not going to end well.
In a miss'n'out race, the worst place to be is 3rd wheel on the black line. Everyone blasts by on the high side and you are stuck, and eliminated. As soon as you get caught there you need to inch out. Better not to even go anywhere near that black line. Ride on or near the front mid track.
Back to your question - you are entitled to the space you are riding in, you need to claim it and dont be bullied out of it. Experienced riders will take advantage of any perceived nervousness on your part. So ride like a boss and do not give anyone an inch.
A couple of years ago a mate of mine who was an ex national elite and world cup track rider when he was younger made a comeback to masters racing. It was a NSW scratch race championship and the bunch was single file and the front riders were peeling off every half lap. Mark got to the front and swung off but didnt want to go the back of the 25 rider train, so he just went high up the track and dived down at about 5th wheel. There was a gap of about 50 cm for him to fit his 180 cm long bike in. The rider screamed "No" at him but he dived in there anyway and the guy backed out rather than get taken out. 4 laps later he did it again, and then again, timing it so he was on the front at one and a half laps to go. And he won of course. Because no-one was strong enough to hold their ground and the wheel which was rightfully theirs. So you need to learn to not flinch, even crash if you have to in order to not be bullied by other riders.
Contact in the bunch happens sometimes and it does not always end in a crash. Riders can lean on each other accidentally and continue on without incident. The key is to try to stay relaxed, which comes with experience. If an incident does occur the safest option is nearly always to go around the rider / crash on the high side as they will naturally fall / slide down the track.

ft_critical

Postby ft_critical » Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:03 pm

Thanks DD. No overlap and 6cm at a time, surf the wheels (gaps) are road techniques too, so I can understand your points.

To be honest, I was scared to death in the race, so it wouldn't have been hard to 'perceive' that. What was particularly intimidating was that the riders were coming down hip to my bars from higher than me. Again it is all perception thing, but they seemed in a very dominant position - above me.

When you say be the boss, I guess that too is like the road, you move up tight on that wheel in front, head down, keep pedalling and put your elbow out wide? Just seems a lot scarier on the track somehow. I will just have to be braver.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:08 pm

Sounds brutal!

ft_critical

Postby ft_critical » Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:12 am

Thanks TG, but I am sure it was just my inexperience; all the other riders would have thought it was a gentle roll-around.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:55 am

trailgumby wrote:Sounds brutal!
It is a bit, I've been forced up towards the fence - but went through anyway because I wanted the position and if I'd eased off, that guy would have just taken it as a message that he could do that again and get away with it.

But road racing is the same as well, they'll do the same thing - either in criteriums or in stage races. If they know you don't like a particular corner, naturally they'll pressure you at that point.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:31 pm

If you ride the miss n out from the front, don't do it from the black line, I think it's better in the middle on the "sprinters" lane. That way you still have room to move and ride them wide without letting anyone under you. :idea:

Track will teach you good handing skills, just be alert. :wink:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

Calvin27

Postby Calvin27 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:57 pm

I'd recommend trying some track specific training sessions. They really helped me starting out. There is a lot of good advice about strategy and placement, but I think the fundamentals of confidence on the drome is probably the biggest thing here. Doing lots and lots of hours in training environment (with simulated race situations) really gets you the confidence and experience you need.

For example, we did a lot of scenario type things and the coaces are skilled enough to put riders in the right positions to create the scenarios. (i.e. put two stronger riders chasing a pack that just happens to catch them with a lap to go).
Heavy road bike
Cushy dirt bike
Very cushy dirt bike
Bike crushed by car (RIP)
No brakes bike
Ebike

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:02 pm

Hi FT, just a matter of attending a couple of training sessions.

It actually feels safer to me as no one can brake suddenly and you are usually riding with the most experienced riders around who aren't going to make so sort of silly move or serve suddenly to avoid a pot hole or a dead roo as the track is well defined and predicable.

The guy who's hip was on your handlebar wasn't going to push you inwards, he was either going to go forwards, backwards or upwards depending on what happened to the rider in front of him and/or the rider in front of you
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

ft_critical

Postby ft_critical » Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:27 pm

Thanks Foo, Mike, Calvin and g-boaf. Agree that training will help. You are no doubt right Mike, they weren't going to drop in on me. I will try to remember that next time.
I am hoping I will be confident enough to start the Christmas Carnival at Tempe

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:48 pm

ft_critical wrote: I am hoping I will be confident enough to start the Christmas Carnival at Tempe
No you're not, hoping, you will be, confident by then. :wink:

Changing the mindset, starts with your approach. :idea:

Enjoy the Track, mate. 8)

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:57 pm

What do they do for pedals for track? Standard road pedals? I have a bad habit of occasionally releasing my left unintentionally. Could be ugly on a track bike.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:10 pm

trailgumby wrote:What do they do for pedals for track? Standard road pedals? I have a bad habit of occasionally releasing my left unintentionally. Could be ugly on a track bike.
I just used standard road pedals. I'm not into having those straps as well. I'm no sprinter anyway.
ft_critical wrote:Thanks Foo, Mike, Calvin and g-boaf. Agree that training will help. You are no doubt right Mike, they weren't going to drop in on me. I will try to remember that next time.
I am hoping I will be confident enough to start the Christmas Carnival at Tempe
Good luck.

ft_critical

Postby ft_critical » Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:03 am

Thanks Foo, just want to do one more track ride on Monday - that should be enough.

TG I too (same as g-boaf) am in a basic set of Shimano road pedals. I have twice pulled a foot out of pedals in a sprint on the road - this was a criticism I had of the P1 power peedals. Never had an issue with Shimano though.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:57 am

ft_critical wrote:Thanks Foo, just want to do one more track ride on Monday - that should be enough.

TG I too (same as g-boaf) am in a basic set of Shimano road pedals. I have twice pulled a foot out of pedals in a sprint on the road - this was a criticism I had of the P1 power peedals. Never had an issue with Shimano though.
Just crank the tension right up and all should be good. :)

Foo
Goal 6000km

Calvin27

Postby Calvin27 » Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:49 pm

trailgumby wrote:What do they do for pedals for track? Standard road pedals? I have a bad habit of occasionally releasing my left unintentionally. Could be ugly on a track bike.
Road pedals and do them to max tightness. They try to teach you good form as well which should help with pulling a foot out of a pedal. There are track specific pedals but most weekend hacks just use road stuff.

For the record I haven't done it before but I have seen someone pull a foot out while I was a few bikes behind them. Guy had enough experience to save it by moving up the bank (most folks with any track experience will learn this as one of the first skills) and then yelling "I GOT NO CONTROL" while rolling down onto the duckboard lol.

Dropping a chain is also pretty funny stuff you are so helpless haha.
Heavy road bike
Cushy dirt bike
Very cushy dirt bike
Bike crushed by car (RIP)
No brakes bike
Ebike

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sat Dec 22, 2018 5:48 pm

Calvin27 wrote:Dropping a chain is also pretty funny stuff you are so helpless haha.
:lol: :lol: :lol: At least then you can freewheel until you roll to a stop.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sat Dec 22, 2018 5:50 pm

foo on patrol wrote:
ft_critical wrote:Thanks Foo, just want to do one more track ride on Monday - that should be enough.

Foo
I usually do it climbing, from the way I recruit my glutes to take the pressure off my knees.

I'm using Speedplay. I think they have track specific springs.

I could probably get away with Shimano pedals for a track session - it's not like I'm going to be pedalling for hours. Track tends to be short and intense, yeah?

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Dec 22, 2018 6:14 pm

trailgumby wrote:
foo on patrol wrote:

Foo
I usually do it climbing, from the way I recruit my glutes to take the pressure off my knees.

I'm using Speedplay. I think they have track specific springs.

I could probably get away with Shimano pedals for a track session - it's not like I'm going to be pedalling for hours. Track tends to be short and intense, yeah?
Do you need heaps of float?

Foo
Goal 6000km

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Dec 22, 2018 6:16 pm

Have a look here at the conversation.

https://www.bikeforums.net/track-cyclin ... ro-mo.html

Foo
Goal 6000km

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:49 am

Typically riders use the same pedals as they do on the road or a version with higher spring load and wind the tension up high. There are track specific pedals that can lock your feet in which is good as you simply ride up to a rail, stop and reach down to release.

If you are going to use the same shoes as for road, which most riders do, then keep an eye on your cleat wear as worn cleats tend to release easier.

Float, I run zero float on all of my 3 bolt cleated bikes, probably not that common
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sun Dec 23, 2018 5:54 pm

foo on patrol wrote:Do you need heaps of float?

Foo
My knees seem happier without the friction in the action SPD-SL pedals have, so I'm guessing that's a yes.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Mon Dec 24, 2018 8:05 am

trailgumby wrote:
foo on patrol wrote:Do you need heaps of float?

Foo
My knees seem happier without the friction in the action SPD-SL pedals have, so I'm guessing that's a yes.
I have a mate like that. He has Speedplay's and the 17% float is only just enough. :shock:

Foo
Goal 6000km

ft_critical

Postby ft_critical » Mon Dec 24, 2018 1:12 pm

Next skill question. How does one move around in the bunch? Watching videos, there is a fair bit of movement in all directions. People at the bottom of the track seem to have priority and anyone above has to move out of their way if they come up the bank - it seems?

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Mon Dec 24, 2018 2:23 pm

The only priority is to be careful and not knock riders off but since I've come back to racing, there doesn't seem to be a real lot of care taken and that, includes the so called Elites. :roll:

You can try and bluff your way out of position when in the bunch or bump but that can end badly. The best way to not get boxed in is to try and leave yourself room to move but that's never an easy thing when things start getting hectic. :)

Foo
Goal 6000km