Brisbane Valley Rail Trail

Mr Purple

Re: Brisbane Valley Rail Trail

Postby Mr Purple » Wed Jun 28, 2023 9:25 am

blizzard wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2023 7:50 pm
You're pretty fit, but the guy in front of you looks like he is at the end of a 20k coffee ride.
That's at about the 120km mark too - I was pretty much broken at this point.

If you look closely he's got probably 33mm tyres and canti brakes, so his bike was probably about a tenth of the price of mine (and mine was cheap). There was a couple of these guys in our group - roadie types on slightly inappropriate equipment. They got dropped a bit at every gully but caught up effortlessly and obliterated us on the climb to Blackbutt. Impressive fitness.

Funny how you get this idea of your power profile. I always thought I was a climber, but apparently I'm more a 'puncheur' like intervals.icu keeps saying. Can drop most people on hills up to about 10-15 minutes, get obliterated by proper climbers beyond that. Funny also how at 61kg and 172cm I think of myself as thin, but look stocky next to a lot of these guys. Impressive riders.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Wed Jun 28, 2023 10:41 am

He doesn't look very old though and looks pretty lean like he has spent some time on a bike.
You did well to stay there. It feels like quite a bit less cover in the draft on dirt than there is on the road. I guess the speeds are a bit lower and rolling resistance higher.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Thu Jun 29, 2023 6:16 am

Mr Purple wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2023 9:25 am
blizzard wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2023 7:50 pm
You're pretty fit, but the guy in front of you looks like he is at the end of a 20k coffee ride.
That's at about the 120km mark too - I was pretty much broken at this point.

If you look closely he's got probably 33mm tyres and canti brakes, so his bike was probably about a tenth of the price of mine (and mine was cheap). There was a couple of these guys in our group - roadie types on slightly inappropriate equipment. They got dropped a bit at every gully but caught up effortlessly and obliterated us on the climb to Blackbutt. Impressive fitness.

Funny how you get this idea of your power profile. I always thought I was a climber, but apparently I'm more a 'puncheur' like intervals.icu keeps saying. Can drop most people on hills up to about 10-15 minutes, get obliterated by proper climbers beyond that. Funny also how at 61kg and 172cm I think of myself as thin, but look stocky next to a lot of these guys. Impressive riders.

You'd be surprised at how much of a difference you can make by changing your approach to climbing can make. Most attack at the bottom of hills to hard and then die in the arse when it counts. :idea: I've been an advocate of tempo and steady at the bottom and then ramp it up past the halfway point and drive it hard up over the top. :mrgreen: I watched myself get past by riders in the bottom half of a good climb but could then come back at them near the top and ride away from them and I wasn't a climber, I just rode smart and used my power at the right spot for getting the best result. :idea:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

Mr Purple

Postby Mr Purple » Thu Jun 29, 2023 12:09 pm

foo on patrol wrote:
Thu Jun 29, 2023 6:16 am
You'd be surprised at how much of a difference you can make by changing your approach to climbing can make. Most attack at the bottom of hills to hard and then die in the arse when it counts. :idea: I've been an advocate of tempo and steady at the bottom and then ramp it up past the halfway point and drive it hard up over the top. :mrgreen: I watched myself get past by riders in the bottom half of a good climb but could then come back at them near the top and ride away from them and I wasn't a climber, I just rode smart and used my power at the right spot for getting the best result. :idea:

Foo
This is the hill that broke me on Saturday.

https://www.strava.com/segments/1775076?filter=overall

It's probably not so much an 'attack' hill. More a 'I can't believe it's going up until I notice how slowly I'm going hill'. Absolutely relentless, and I probably wouldn't have noticed it except I was 130km in when it started.

Looking at the power outputs of others on the day in my weight group I should have been a lot faster up it - the closest guy to my weight did 228W for a 48:18 and I scraped in for a 1:01:25 where I'd normally average something like 250W+ over that sort of time. In retrospect my two minute break towards the top was a good old fashioned 'bonk', but because it had never happened to me I didn't recognise it.

Lesson learned - better nutrition next time. There's another 150km event starting at Esk (so the hill comes at 45km in rather than 130km in) so I'll call that 'unfinished business' and try to beat it.

Was half thinking of doing the Noosa Gravel Enduro but not sure I'm ready for 140km/3000m on gravel!

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Thu Jun 29, 2023 3:52 pm

Mr Purple wrote:
Thu Jun 29, 2023 12:09 pm

It's probably not so much an 'attack' hill. More a 'I can't believe it's going up until I notice how slowly I'm going hill'. Absolutely relentless, and I probably wouldn't have noticed it except I was 130km in when it started.

Looking at the power outputs of others on the day in my weight group I should have been a lot faster up it - the closest guy to my weight did 228W for a 48:18 and I scraped in for a 1:01:25 where I'd normally average something like 250W+ over that sort of time. In retrospect my two minute break towards the top was a good old fashioned 'bonk', but because it had never happened to me I didn't recognise it.

Lesson learned - better nutrition next time. There's another 150km event starting at Esk (so the hill comes at 45km in rather than 130km in) so I'll call that 'unfinished business' and try to beat it.

Was half thinking of doing the Noosa Gravel Enduro but not sure I'm ready for 140km/3000m on gravel!
A good way to get better at them is to do them. Just knock the pacing back a peg or two until you have a better idea of what pace you can sustain over that distance.
More longer training rides and practice fueling during them.

I am no expert but Foo is right, more fuel required and some research as to how much to consume over each hour.
Find what agrees with your digestive system in training.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Thu Jun 29, 2023 6:42 pm

Mr Purple wrote:
Thu Jun 29, 2023 12:09 pm
foo on patrol wrote:
Thu Jun 29, 2023 6:16 am

Foo

The first gel 15min maximum before the start of the climb and then two whilst climbing, plus drinking as well. :idea:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Jul 02, 2023 3:56 pm

Had a ride from Fernvale to Lowood and back this morning and couldn't believe the number of Magpies on the side of the trail. :shock: I'm guessing that there will be plenty of sprint intervals after August. :lol:

Foo
Goal 6000km

Mr Purple

Postby Mr Purple » Thu Aug 17, 2023 1:19 pm

Magpie time!

I haven't made it out to the trail again for a while - missed a couple of events due to a lack of motivation which was annoying because looking at the times I would have been towards the top end of things.

I've been following the trail users Facebook group and geez there's a lot of anti-cyclist sentiment being spouted on there. It's amazing how many people get upset if someone want to use the trail in a slightly different way to the way they want to use it.

A couple of highlights recently include a lady being shouted down for photographing a camper van parked in the middle of the trail - saying she must have been going too fast. Also one this week where one of the typical subjects goes on about cyclists going too fast (particularly those in lycra apparently) where everyone else including those using e-scooters is an angel and above reproach.

Pretty amazing how many people think they have an absolute right to direct how public property is used. And disappointing that the standard anti-cyclist phrases regularly trotted out by motorists are also repeated by pedestrians.

Horse users seem to be an interesting breed as well. From what I can work out the only satisfactory way of dealing with a horse on a trail is to immediately throw yourself to the ground and genuflect until the almighty horse and its rider pass. I'm happy to dismount and call out softly before requesting permission to walk past but from what I can see this isn't even enough for many horse users. I remain quite confused about what to actually do if I come across a horse on the trail. Fortunately it hasn't happened yet.

elantra

Postby elantra » Sat Aug 19, 2023 4:35 pm

Mr Purple wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2023 1:19 pm
…….
I've been following the trail users Facebook group and geez there's a lot of anti-cyclist sentiment being spouted on there. It's amazing how many people get upset if someone want to use the trail in a slightly different way to the way they want to use it.
……
Similar things sometimes happen on the Murwillumbah Facebook page, in relation to etiquette on the Tweed Valley Railtrail.

It is popular with all the groups that you mention, gravel bikers, e-bikers, “hired” e-bikers (a very different breed of rider), distance runners, dog walkers, prams and strollers, and last but not least, people just out for a casual stroll.

Hardly any horses on the Tweed Valley Railtrail, because horses are only sposed to be on a it apart from a few km near Burringbar. (as far as I know)
There are various other old (closed) forestry roads and beaches in Tweed Shire where horses can go to etc.

Did I mention dogs ? There are usually plenty of dogs on the Railtrail, including some that are without human company - sometimes.

The usual issue of course is those cyclists that buzz past pedestrians at undignified speed.
I’m sure that this happens, but I don’t think that it is such a “crisis” (yet) as some people making out.

As for using a bell, well I reckon that bells are barely useful - most of the time. Mainly because a huge proportion of pedestrians are using headphones etc.
Being a Tweed local I have the luxury of being able to avoid the busy parts of the Railtrail, and I just factor the pedestrian traffic volume into my riding behaviour, knowing that when there are lots of pedestrians about you just have to slow down.
And as I am about to pass them I usually say something like “good morning” or “passing on the right “ or “is your dog a boy or a girl” etc

I don’t think that the dreaded Magpies are out in force down here (yet). But there have been reports in recent days of snakes out on the Railtrail. Including venomous types !
I pity any snake that tries to cross the Railtrail. It’s not going to have an easy passage.

Mr Purple

Postby Mr Purple » Sun Aug 20, 2023 1:34 pm

The post that triggered my rant above was in regards to the history of the gates along the BVRT.

Some (let's say, typical demographic) woman immediately posted about 'everyone wearing lycra being a maniac' and 'riding too fast and dangerously' where she'd 'never had a problem with anyone else including walkers, e-scooter and horse riders'.

It was like a checklist for hate speech. Everyone in that group is at fault, everyone in every other group is blameless and the original thread had absolutely nothing to do with what she was complaining about.

Fortunately I'd say someone reported her to the admins. Funny how people take things so personally, when in reality I'm sure they were once passed (no doubt with a good 2m+ clearance) by a cyclist going faster than they were.

Same with every race on there - some moron will be complaining about cyclists dangerously using the trail as their own personal race track. One of the admins pointed out that those actually going quickly on there were far more likely to crash into the bushes deliberately than hit a pedestrian or another cyclist. People don't seem to be able to realise that if someone is maintaining a better than 30km/hr average speed on a gravel ride (without electrical assistance) than that person is probably the least likely to accidentally hit you. Because they actually know what they're doing.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Thu Aug 31, 2023 8:42 am

Then you have the crowd that wants too take up the full width of the track and not budge when you notify them that you're coming behind them! :twisted:

Foo
Goal 6000km

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Thu Aug 31, 2023 9:06 am

foo on patrol wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2023 8:42 am
Then you have the crowd that wants too take up the full width of the track and not budge when you notify them that you're coming behind them! :twisted:

Foo
You got a gravelly yet mate?
Retirement is just around the corner and calling. :wink: :)

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Thu Aug 31, 2023 8:07 pm

warthog1 wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2023 9:06 am
foo on patrol wrote:

Foo
You got a gravelly yet mate?
Retirement is just around the corner and calling. :wink: :)

No not yet but I do have an old Hoffy frame that I'm thinking about doing up for such things. :mrgreen: I could probably make the Trek SoHo with a 6sp internal hub gears into one also. :idea:

Foo
Goal 6000km

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Thu Aug 31, 2023 8:41 pm

foo on patrol wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2023 8:07 pm

No not yet but I do have an old Hoffy frame that I'm thinking about doing up for such things. :mrgreen: I could probably make the Trek SoHo with a 6sp internal hub gears into one also. :idea:

Foo
Nice :)
It is bloody good to be away from traffic.

Mr Purple

Postby Mr Purple » Tue Sep 05, 2023 9:48 am

foo on patrol wrote:

Foo
Yep. Exactly.

See this on a lot of fire trails actually - two pedestrians who somehow manage to take up an 8 metre wide trail, fail to move an inch when you ring your bell three times and eventually pass them at about 5km/hr, and then yell at you for not given the required room. Which is presumably more than the two metres you gave them. It's like some people just like to manufacture drama.

Every single post on the BVRT Users Facebook group ultimately gets taken over by someone criticising cyclists. The most recent one is regarding trail bike riders using the trail for high speed runs, and this comment is one of the first posted - 'Probably hikers getting sick of nearly getting hit by high speed cyclists! Just going one better!'

You can see the moderators trying to stomp this out, but it's amazing how many people are willing to blame all the wrongs in the world on cyclists. Regardless of their relevance to the subject matter.

Mr Purple

Postby Mr Purple » Tue Sep 05, 2023 12:58 pm

And after I pointed out I was getting a little sick of comments against cyclists in posts not actually related to cyclists, this great internet genius pipes up:

read my reasoning why a response was made against "SOME" cyclists, only a small group of arrogance in the community ! Normally the same ones that get upset with my responses!

I'm not making any further comment, I assume he's on a fast track to getting banned from the group. But typical hate speech - 'this wasn't directed at you, and I'm not saying you're in this group, but because you're upset at my generalisation against your group you're clearly guilty'.

Ah, Facebook. The steaming cesspool that it is.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Tue Sep 05, 2023 4:10 pm

Mr Purple wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2023 12:58 pm
And after I pointed out I was getting a little sick of comments against cyclists in posts not actually related to cyclists, this great internet genius pipes up:

read my reasoning why a response was made against "SOME" cyclists, only a small group of arrogance in the community ! Normally the same ones that get upset with my responses!

I'm not making any further comment, I assume he's on a fast track to getting banned from the group. But typical hate speech - 'this wasn't directed at you, and I'm not saying you're in this group, but because you're upset at my generalisation against your group you're clearly guilty'.

Cyclists are the transport mode of last resort. If we get a bike path built, and there are rubbish walking facilities. People just walk on the bike path.

And there is never anyone to say "no that's not ok"

It is what it is.Cycling is not normalised. It's seen as a sport

Mr Purple

Postby Mr Purple » Tue Sep 05, 2023 5:58 pm

In his clarification to his first post he uses the phrase ‘Lycra clad demons’. And then has the gall to say to me he’s not criticising all cyclists.

Very interesting psychology going on here. Blaming a group with an identifiable physical characteristic for something completely unrelated to them (dirt bikes on rail trails) and then criticising them for getting offended.

Change ‘cyclist’ to pretty much any other demographic and that’s hate speech. But we’re fair game apparently.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Tue Sep 05, 2023 8:48 pm

I have not engaged with farcebook for the behaviour you describe.
Not interested in partaking.
Maybe I'm wrong but I can't be bothered.

Mr Purple

Postby Mr Purple » Wed Sep 06, 2023 5:57 am

warthog1 wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2023 8:48 pm
No you are entirely correct. I rarely do so but this particular moron was the last in a long line doing the same.

I will not be doing so again.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Wed Sep 06, 2023 12:14 pm

Mr Purple wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2023 5:57 am
warthog1 wrote:
No you are entirely correct. I rarely do so but this particular moron was the last in a long line doing the same.

Thanks for the confirmation, I have not spent enough time on it for a real informed idea of it :oops: Happy not to.
Annoying to hear it is continuing to give idiots a voice.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Wed Sep 06, 2023 1:39 pm

Mr Purple wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2023 12:58 pm

Yeah I saw that post but reframed from commenting on it, because once I do, it's all guns blazing and no prisoners left in my wake. :mrgreen:

Foo
Goal 6000km

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Wed Sep 06, 2023 1:41 pm

warthog1 wrote:

:lol: :lol: You're no fun, ya gotta live dangerously sometimes. :mrgreen:

Foo
Goal 6000km

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Wed Sep 06, 2023 1:44 pm

warthog1 wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2023 12:14 pm
Mr Purple wrote:
warthog1 wrote:

Thanks for the confirmation, I have not spent enough time on it for a real informed idea of it :oops: Happy not to.

I pick my moments of firing back but I pull no punches when I do, so that there are no grey areas about what I'm saying. :twisted:

Foo
Goal 6000km

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Wed Sep 06, 2023 2:09 pm

foo on patrol wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2023 1:44 pm
warthog1 wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2023 12:14 pm
Mr Purple wrote:

I pick my moments of firing back but I pull no punches when I do, so that there are no grey areas about what I'm saying. :twisted:

Foo
Glad you are, but engaging with people who are ill-informed and motivated by bigotry and discriminatory bias, isn't my idea of a fun time.