Postby Tim » Sat Mar 26, 2022 11:25 am

Why so low on the saddle?
They're both small frames.
Are you only 3 ft. tall? :D

warthog1

Re: Old carbon

Postby warthog1 » Sat Mar 26, 2022 11:35 am

Bars higher than saddle too.
We are all different, that is very different.
Hope you enjoy the ride anyway.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Mar 27, 2022 6:55 am

Looks like the frames are to big for the rider, unless they prefer a big bend in the knees? :shock: They look in good condition. 8)

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

80's Rider

Postby 80's Rider » Sun Mar 27, 2022 10:05 pm

Yes. All of the above.
I'm vertically challenged. Should have been a jockey.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sun Mar 27, 2022 10:14 pm

80's Rider wrote:
Sun Mar 27, 2022 10:05 pm
Yes. All of the above.
But less likely to be longevity challenged :)

https://www.healthline.com/health/do-sh ... plications
Dogs are the best people :wink:

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Mon Mar 28, 2022 6:49 am

80's Rider wrote:
Sun Mar 27, 2022 10:05 pm
Yes. All of the above.

:lol: :lol:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

stevenaaus

Postby stevenaaus » Tue Mar 29, 2022 9:36 am

Some nice bikes here. (Just posting to get on the bandwagon :))

Absolutley gorgeous. The black monocoque Kestrel (what year is that?) and Merida 909 too :P

WyvernRH

Postby WyvernRH » Wed Jan 18, 2023 7:08 am

Opportunity came up to acquire a Giant CFR 2 for not a lot to complete the triad (I have a CFR-1 and a CFR-3). Turned out to only be the frame and a bit scruffy but it did have the carbon forks as opposed to the alloy forks on the CFR 1 and 3 in my collection. Be interesting to see if the ride is better over our crappy local roads as the alloy ones transmit the road buzz back to the hands a bit more than I like. Has anybody compared the two already?
Picture below. Wheels are mine and I'm pretty sure I have sufficient bits in the shed to set it up as a SACHS equipped 8-speed. Not original spec but period (-ish :P ).
Oh, one oddity. Both my CFR1 and the CFR3 from the early 90's have 27.2 seatposts. The seller told me that this did as well BUT a 27.2 post would not fit when tried back at the ranch. Then I got the seat tube gauge out and yes, the seat tube measured in at 27.0! So, did Giant change the seat tube size at some point or is this one just weird?

<edit> Found a reasonably trustworthy Giant frame number translation on the web and the frame number of GA6A670 would make this a Jan 1996 production model.<edit>

Richard

Stitch'd Bikes

Postby Stitch'd Bikes » Tue Feb 14, 2023 4:07 pm

I didn't realise this thread was still going, great to see you still adding to your collection. Such beautiful bikes.
I have the same Merida Extreme 907 and Cadex CFR 1 as you. Both are regularly ridden. Both built up slightly Neo Retro with early 2000s ultegra and 105.

I don't know how to upload images here but will share if I find out.

WyvernRH

Postby WyvernRH » Wed Feb 15, 2023 11:17 am

WyvernRH wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 7:08 am
Opportunity came up to acquire a Giant CFR 2 for not a lot to complete the triad (I have a CFR-1 and a CFR-3) <snip>
OK, finally finished the rebuild. Been out for the first long ride and she rode very well - light, responsive and comfortable. No sign of the flex folk winged about - well, with my feeble power input anyway :) . The SACHS/Campag gears are a bit less positive than their Shimano equivalents but worked quickly and reliably. I was also reminded that I MUCH prefer the Campag front brifter changing mech from that period to the Shimano version.

The carbon forks on this 'Pro' version definitely even out the ride compared to the alloy forks on the standard models!
So final spec...
SACHS (Campag) brifters
SACHS New Success touring front and rear gears
(The rear was a 'rescue' built from a wreck and parts. The observant may see some non-standard bits)
Tektro black dual pivot brakes
3T 44cm gravel bar (sorry to those who seem to have taken against wide bars but my shoulders are that width...)
3T quill stem (to fit the 31.8 dia bars)
Sun Race 50/34 chainset and bottom bracket
12-32 8 speed Sun Race cassette
Shimano SPD pedals
Suntour Sprint 36h front and Shimano 105 36h cassette rear on Weinmann Alesa 700c rims
Generic 27mm seat post with the Fabric saddle that came with my Cannondale (actually it's not bad...)

This now completes my set of CFR's but if anyone has any of those Giant Pro carbon forks lying around, I wouldn't mind swapping out the alloy forks on the CFR1 or CFR3 to better cope with the roads around here!

Richard

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Wed Feb 15, 2023 3:54 pm

I have a feeling I've got a pair of the carbon forks spare, I'll try to remember to have a look in the shed tonight.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Fri Feb 17, 2023 9:42 am

ldrcycles wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 3:54 pm
I have a feeling I've got a pair of the carbon forks spare, I'll try to remember to have a look in the shed tonight.
I do have a set of Giant carbon forks, but not 1" threaded CFR, instead they're 1-1/8" threadless off a ONCE replica TCR.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

WyvernRH

Postby WyvernRH » Mon Feb 20, 2023 10:57 am

Many thanks for checking but the all the CFRs are 1" headsets. I'll have to lookout on eBay.

Richard

stevenaaus

Postby stevenaaus » Tue Oct 17, 2023 7:23 pm

Prices have really come down this month... But some people haven't got the memo.

This bike is interesting to me. There's lots of old C4 carbon Team Fujis around.. I have one which I enjoy plenty, but the C7 version of them is very rare. Here's the only one I've seen, in amazing condition, but not my size. And there's not a chance in hell he'll get this money ($800) for a 6600 10 speed un-glamourous Fuji imho.
He's been holding this price since covid!
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/it ... 258954602/

LG

Postby LG » Wed Nov 01, 2023 2:47 pm

Anyone want to take a guess at an old carbon frame before I try to strip back the extremely poor black rattle can paint, looks like white underneath.

Stronglight delta 1" headset, overspray on pretty much all the parts, surely you'd remove the wheels and unbolt the brakes before spraying? Tiny frame with a 47cm seat tube and a 52cm top tube. I'm not familiar with DP hubs and the front wheel has is 18 spoke, rear 24.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/m4mJYtwXfNc6nQ3g8

EDIT: now I've posted in this Old Carbon thread, someone will probably ID the frame as an aluminium Cannondale or similar....

Second EDIT: found a paint chip and it is carbon and I'm kinda thinking it may be a Kestrel, but I know very little about carbon bikes
LG = Low Gear

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Thu Nov 02, 2023 9:10 am

Sure gives off Kestrel vibes from peak triathlon era.

I've had a dozen of those rims pass by me, but they've all had machined brake tracks and been laced to Ultegra or 600 tricolour hubs. The front looks like it's got no brake track? Or just photo angle? The DP hubs are pretty curious, might clean up OK.

LG

Postby LG » Thu Nov 02, 2023 1:42 pm

Kestrel vibes but I'm becoming less confident in that thought, as far as I can tell the early Kestrels didn't have replaceable derailleur hangers while this one does. I am working off a very very low base of knowledge though. I'll have a go at striping off some paint, hopefully the rattle can black will be softer than the original.

I've added a couple pics, one of the inside left dropout which has some numbers, they may be associated with the aluminium casting though, as well as a part decal near the bottom bracket.

The DP 18 rims I like as well, seem to be bombproof, have them on another bike which has copped regular use over the years. I think the front rim on this bike has seen so little braking the anodising is still on the brake track, certainly not machined.
LG = Low Gear

stevenaaus

Postby stevenaaus » Thu Nov 02, 2023 3:06 pm

Shogun?

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Thu Nov 02, 2023 3:16 pm

Tantalising clue,
...O ART
(AUSTRAL)IA

?

LG

Postby LG » Thu Nov 02, 2023 3:31 pm

Tantalising indeed, I've just rubbed it back and it says 'Mondial Velo Art - Australia' (will add updated pic). I'll also ask, how did you manage to include the pic in your post? I've tried following the instructions without success, it may be that I'm not very good at following instructions.

Also, I've rubbed back the black on the downtube and seat tube and no decals. Maybe the 'Mondial Velo Art' mob had already done a respray?

EDIT: stumbled upon some images of a Look KG191, derailleur hanger looks the same as is the top tube brake cable routing and seat clamp area. Any thoughts?
LG = Low Gear

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Thu Nov 02, 2023 8:46 pm

LG wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2023 3:31 pm
EDIT: stumbled upon some images of a Look KG191, derailleur hanger looks the same as is the top tube brake cable routing and seat clamp area. Any thoughts?

Mystery solved!

LG wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2023 3:31 pm
how did you manage to include the pic in your post? I've tried following the instructions without success, it may be that I'm not very good at following instructions.

Click on the image so it goes full screen, then right click 'copy image address' and paste between image tags:

Anything less than a Mavic Zap groupset would be a compromise. :P

LG

Postby LG » Thu Nov 02, 2023 9:56 pm

Compromise it will be! I do have a set of Mavic derailleurs, just not electronic. The electronic cable routing on the bike in your pic doesn't look great, loose wire and cable tie.

Kinda wish this frame was at least 2" bigger as well.
LG = Low Gear

WyvernRH

Postby WyvernRH » Sat Nov 04, 2023 5:17 pm

Went into the Newcastle Bike Recycler to pick up a front 26" wheel for my Funny bike and ended coming out with this TREK 2100 as well.

Now I really didn't need another bike.... but I love these semi-carbon frames and it was really, really cheap. Also, I have a heap of kit that needs using or selling off now I'm retired... Nor sure what kit is going on it, or exactly how old it is, but we shall see what we can find lying around the shed. :)
It was pretty grubby and the seat clamp bolt (which is Specialized specific) was missing - looked like some dork had tried to use a normal one from the marks in the aluminium. However, otherwise in good nick apart from a couple of lacquer scratches from a bike rack
So here you see it in a rustic setting, de-grubbed, brake cable re-instated and with a new seat bolt I machined up.
Watch this space....

Richard

WyvernRH

Postby WyvernRH » Tue Nov 07, 2023 11:36 am

And finished...more or less. Probably going to need a different front changer as the Sun-Race I used doesn't have the swing to quite get to the outer ring of the triple - works OK on the inside two rings tho'.

Basically, I used up surplus parts from the shed so it is a bit of a mixture.
Shimano hub/Alex rim wheels, 12-26t 9 speed cluster
Shimano Tiagra 9 speed brifters
Tektro twin pivot brakes
Peel 44cm bars on a generic stem using a quill converter.
FSA 42/32/24 triple BB30 crankset using an FSA converter b'bracket set to fit it to the normal bottom bracket in the frame.
Ultegra mid-arm rear derailleur
SunRace front derailleur
- only cos it is the only one I own with a 34.9 clamp - not a success. Braze on clamp coming so I can fit a Claris triple changer.
Ritchy seat post and saddle.

Rides and handles well over the bumpy roads out here. Given this model has alloy stays it is less forgiving over the bumps than the Merida and Giant models that have carbon stays. Though, I think new tyres are a 'must have' RSN. Currently using 23c and the clearances are quite close - looks like the biggest that can be fitted will be 25c?

Richard

stevenaaus

Postby stevenaaus » Tue Nov 07, 2023 6:03 pm

Looks spiffy :)

Yeah, a couple of nice bikes i've restored recently on the cheap, going for 8 or 9 speed, the crunch is getting a crankset and front mech/shifter that work together and doesn't cost a mint.