Smart trainers and software

g-boaf

Re: Smart trainers and software

Postby g-boaf » Thu Mar 07, 2024 6:28 pm

Arbuckle23 wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 1:31 pm
warthog1 wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2024 11:43 am
What is it people like about using the trainer I am wondering?
In order of importance too me.
1. Rubbish weather riding
2. Time management. If I only have set short time to ride, then I don't have to plan a route to suit, just get on and ride. Have a spare bike in the shed permanently set up
3. I can get the odd work call after my normal finish time. If on the trainer for an afternoon ride and get a call, I can answer and go back to my home office if urgently needed.
4. Its better than not riding at all.

Got some ride mates who are Fireys. They ride Zwift while waiting for a fire :D
That third point is a big one for me. I’m on Zwift and have the work phone near. If it goes off then no more riding until whatever it is gets sorted out.

And four, yes I prefer not to make excuses.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:43 am

Anyone doing the Zwift Big Spin series to unlock the gadgets, tri-spoke wheels or the bike?

Everyone is late-joining the events with 5 minutes to go (before the 30 minute cut-off for late-join) then blasting at maximum speed, then rolling across the line, getting the bonus spinner and then late-joining a second time.

I even caught a pro-rider this morning doing that. :wink:

gsxrboy

Postby gsxrboy » Sun Mar 24, 2024 12:52 pm

I've got a Kickr V5 that I believe is clunking under harder power efforts. It's not constant and varies in how many pedal strokes I feel it. I've seen the older ones had a bearing housing issue perhaps but nothing on the V5.

Has anyone experienced this feeling? Thanks!

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:28 am

antigee
Location: just off the Yarra Trail but not lurking in the bushes

Postby antigee » Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:01 pm

gsxrboy wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2024 12:52 pm
I've got a Kickr V5 that I believe is clunking under harder power efforts. It's not constant and varies in how many pedal strokes I feel it. I've seen the older ones had a bearing housing issue perhaps but nothing on the V5.

i recently took my bike off the Kickr (V4 i think) to loan someone and was very surprised to find the qr skewer was bent, I'm not that heavy and def' not that powerful and believe had fitted correctly...I was getting an occasional random knocking noise

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:28 pm

antigee wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:01 pm
gsxrboy wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2024 12:52 pm

i recently took my bike off the Kickr (V4 i think) to loan someone and was very surprised to find the qr skewer was bent, I'm not that heavy and def' not that powerful and believe had fitted correctly...I was getting an occasional random knocking noise
Do you use a heavy duty QR skewer?

antigee

Postby antigee » Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:45 pm

g-boaf wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:28 pm

.........Do you use a heavy duty QR skewer?
no just the one that came with the kickr and the thru axle adaptors - i wouldn't describe as substantial or heavy duty

Tim

Postby Tim » Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:23 pm

The QR skewer doesn't take any of the weight of the bike. The wheel hub outer assembly or in this case the trainer "hubs" (in contact with the frame dropouts) takes the full weight of the bike and rider.
If the skewer rod is supporting the bike then the frame dropouts haven't seated properly on the outer part/s of the hub.

antigee

Postby antigee » Wed Apr 03, 2024 8:35 pm

Tim wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:23 pm
The QR skewer doesn't take any of the weight of the bike. The wheel hub outer assembly or in this case the trainer "hubs" (in contact with the frame dropouts) takes the full weight of the bike and rider.
If the skewer rod is supporting the bike then the frame dropouts haven't seated properly on the outer part/s of the hub.
i just checked and the thru axle/hub adaptors are seated into the drop outs - possibly weren't before or the qr slackened off / was poorly done up hence skewer getting bent / odd banging noises - zero checks before riding "only used on an indoor trainer" :D

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Fri Apr 12, 2024 2:51 am

I'm considering one of these, so is it worth the $$$$'s or not? :? It would seem that 10sp units are okay to run on one because I'm not buying any 11sp gear. :P

https://www.99bikes.com.au/wahoo-kickr- ... o_s=gsurau

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Apr 12, 2024 8:25 am

Should be fine.

10 or 11 speed should work with the spacers they give you.

What did catch my eye was this!!! See:

https://www.99bikes.com.au/wahoo-kickr- ... artbike-v1

Where were they hiding those all this time, and at that price is an absolute bargain! Mine new was $5000 many years ago.

Given how everything has gone up in price, that's brilliant pricing.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:37 am

foo on patrol wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2024 2:51 am
I'm considering one of these, so is it worth the $$$$'s or not? :? It would seem that 10sp units are okay to run on one because I'm not buying any 11sp gear. :P

Foo
that is much cheaper than mine was. Mine is around 3 years old and trouble free.
Just beware that zwift is about $22 a month for the subscription too.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

vbplease

Postby vbplease » Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:44 am

Demand for smart trainers/smart bikes has likely dropped off a cliff since covid.. they all look so much cheaper than a few years ago. the secondhand market for them is bargain central.

I agree $4k looks like great value for a smart trainer.. I paid that for a Tacx Neo smart bike a year ago. There's no way I could go back to a wheel on trainer now.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:58 am

warthog1 wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:37 am
foo on patrol wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2024 2:51 am

Foo
that is much cheaper than mine was. Mine is around 3 years old and trouble free.
Just beware that zwift is about $22 a month for the subscription too.

This comes with 6mths free subscription. :mrgreen: Can they be used on any other platforms? I'm not interested in competing on it but just riding different courses when not doing outside rides and also thinking that it would be a good stepping point for getting me going again without the hassle of time of day = night time when I can't sleep. :idea:

Foo
Last edited by foo on patrol on Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:08 am

foo - you can use the trainers on just about all platforms - fulgaz, rouvy etc

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:40 am

foo on patrol wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:58 am

This comes with 6mths free subscription. :mrgreen: Can they be used on any other platforms? I'm not interested in competing on it but just riding different courses when not doing outside rides and also thinking that it would be a good stepping point for getting me going again without the hassle of time of day = night time when I can't sleep. :idea:

Foo

Foo
I haven't used any other platforms but as Jason says it will work.
I don't race or compete either. Too much cheating to take that seriously.
Just a way to conveniently and safely turn the legs.
There are structured training sessions on there too.
I see it being great for you 8)

An apple tv box using the home wifi is a great way to connect it to your tv

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:50 am

jasonc wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:08 am
foo - you can use the trainers on just about all platforms - fulgaz, rouvy etc

Thanks. :)

Foo
Goal 6000km

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:52 am

warthog1 wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:40 am
foo on patrol wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:58 am

Foo

Foo
I haven't used any other platforms but as Jason says it will work.
I don't race or compete either. Too much cheating to take that seriously.
Just a way to conveniently and safely turn the legs.
There are structured training sessions on there too.
I see it being great for you 8)

An apple tv box using the home wifi is a great way to connect it to your tv

I don't have anything Apple other than an Iplod. I do have a spare TV that I had for the truck. :?:

Foo
Goal 6000km

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:55 am

foo on patrol wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:52 am
I don't have anything Apple other than an Iplod. I do have a spare TV that I had for the truck. :?:

Foo
I don't have much either and am no fan boy.
Cheap and works though.
https://www.jbhifi.com.au/collections/tvs/apple-tv
I use my phone as a hotspot and it is super reliable.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Apr 12, 2024 11:08 am

When I replace my old laptop it will be with a desktop. you get more performance and flexibility out of a non-fruit device. and then you get to connect devices over ANT+ which is better than BT
you could get something like this
https://www.dell.com/en-au/outlet/refur ... r-plus2665

blizzard

Postby blizzard » Fri Apr 12, 2024 11:39 am

I use the Kickr core with Zwift on Apple TV, it's been flawless.

I was using Zwift on a Windows laptop and had a lot of issues with Zwift crashing, Apple TV just works.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Fri Apr 12, 2024 12:28 pm

jasonc wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2024 11:08 am
When I replace my old laptop it will be with a desktop. you get more performance and flexibility out of a non-fruit device. and then you get to connect devices over ANT+ which is better than BT

I have a Laptop with a busted screen but can run a HDMI cable to a PC monitor and I'm guessing to the spare TV :?:

Foo
Goal 6000km

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Fri Apr 12, 2024 1:36 pm

foo on patrol wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2024 12:28 pm
jasonc wrote:

I have a Laptop with a busted screen but can run a HDMI cable to a PC monitor and I'm guessing to the spare TV :?:

Foo
I believe whatever computer you use needs a pretty good graphics card. I am no IT guru though.
Maybe @g-boaf knows?
The apple tv as Blizzard mentioned works reliably and it is cheap.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Apr 12, 2024 1:49 pm

foo on patrol wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2024 12:28 pm
jasonc wrote:

Foo
I'll quote you both for ease.

The laptop connected to HDMI will work, provided it has enough power and a decent GPU, otherwise Zwift will be really sluggish.

I would actually suggest one of these:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/276421811903?m ... media=COPY

or a brand new one:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/275916087255?m ... media=COPY

Do the maths, by the time you get a PC with a decent graphics card those above might work out cheaper and faster.

Very portable (not much bigger than Apple TV), it's up to date and a lot more powerful than the above Dell machine. The connect it to a TV with HDMI. Have a wireless keyboard and mouse and bluetooth connection is fine, although I also use ANT+ on my Mac (via the Garmin USB connected to a USB hub). That Studio should also get you the 4K Ultra graphics and will be future proof for a long time. And if you want to do something else with then it is very quick.

Some of the machines on there come from corporations who mass-ordered them but didn't end up using them, eg, the Mac Pros were from Meta but never taken up, not sure on the Mac Studios.

PCs just watch what video card they have, Zwift needs fairly decent GPU and that integrated graphics in the Dell won't cut it at all, you'll get pretty low detail. You'll want something with a dedicated discreet GPU. I have a RX6600XT in my old Mac Pro which does the job, so anything at that level of GPU will also be fine.

I will add that Zwift on Mac for me never ever crashes, it is super reliable.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Fri Apr 12, 2024 2:06 pm

^^thanks GB
hence the apple tv imo. Cheap and just works.