Crapola!!!....P.E.D's in Cycling

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Crapola!!!....P.E.D's in Cycling

Postby AUbicycles » Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:42 am

Time to stop eating those greens... now spinach has been pinpointed for its doping abilities. Popeye was right all along.

In a study, capsules containing the spinach extract ecdysterone was given to athletes ina strength training study alongside a control group who were given placebos. The ecdysterone dosage was equivalent to 4kg of spinach a day, and after 10 weeks, the spinach group were recording three times the strength gain.

The WADA supported study by the Berlin university's Institute of Pharmacy (Freie Universität Berlin) is recommending that ecdysterone be added to the list of banned substances.

But checking for offenders will be easy, the athletes with globs of spinach between their teeth are guilty!

More on this story here:
https://www.dw.com/en/german-scientists ... a-49342711
Cycling is in my BNA

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:24 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :roll:

So, as a direct concentrated substance, ban it, but naturally, go for it !!

4kg a day though :shock:

RobertL

Postby RobertL » Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:57 am

MichaelB wrote:
4kg a day though :shock:
Yeah, we need some research on the effects of lower dosages. I mean, I like spinach, I'd eat it if I thought it would give me an advantage, but not 4kg per day!

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:09 pm

Not performance enhancing drugs this time, but Jack Bobridge is in a lot of trouble:

https://www.smh.com.au/national/western ... 524id.html

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:57 pm

g-boaf wrote:Not performance enhancing drugs this time, but Jack Bobridge is in a lot of trouble:

https://www.smh.com.au/national/western ... 524id.html
Sad really

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:44 pm

If I recall, this made news a few years back so understand thus is about being convicted.... or am I confused by another prominent Australian cyclist arrested for supplying recreation drugs a year or two ago?
Cycling is in my BNA

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:08 pm

AUbicycles wrote:If I recall, this made news a few years back so understand thus is about being convicted.... or am I confused by another prominent Australian cyclist arrested for supplying recreation drugs a year or two ago?
No, it was him. :wink:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:26 pm

How many kinds of stupid is Mike Tomolaris? I’ve just watched a clip of he and Macca talking about Armstrong’s appearance on NBC’s TDF telecast and a one stage he decided to read out/reply to his twitterati audience. His second tweet hit a raw nerve; and he went off on a rant defending his/SBS’s fawning of Armstrong pre 2013. The justification was SBS was small and Armstrong’s people always went to them first with the story, so that was good. :shock:

Does he not understand just how stupid he looked saying that; access trumps integrity? I’m shocked that went to air tbh.

Idiot

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:34 am

If you recall, Ligget was also publicly a big fan and referred to a promise Armstrong made to him in person... subsequently was just one of the believers/idiots who were played by Armstrong.

Don't be too harsh on Tomo, he is a television moderator and not an analyst and if you recall your own views at the time where it was not yet proven, simply suspect, there were a lot of fans and media hoping and betting on the positivity of cycling and goodness of Armstrong. The Livestrong movement was big (some people were wearing the yellow bracelets) and the Armstrong group were pushing an argument that if you believed Armstrong was a doper (because of his Livestrong foundation) then you were a scoundrel because you wanted people to suffer from cancer. Seriously, with his own history he was pushing this ethical question back to everyone else.

Not to forget that the TDF is the livelihood for certain individuals and media. At that stage, with sponsors pulling out due to scandals and the public trust dropping, a conundrum is that if media turns it's back, it is also pulling the plug on itself to some extent.

Because of the doubts, media can decide not to speak with certain teams / riders, but this is based on speculation and means that the media is making judgement... until there is a formal verdict, 'who' is cycling media to tell their audience what they should believe.

Without any doubt, I accept that it can be embarrassing but the business of doping is to deceive everyone and find supporters. A lot of people were caught up with this... and looking back even further at cycling greats who are still celebrated today... there is still a bit of 'grey' in their glorious stories.

tl:dr... don't shoot the messenger!
Cycling is in my BNA

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:01 am

Oh, I’m not down on Tomolaris for prior actions. That’s understandable to a point. But defending those actions 100%? Not even a mea culpa? No “we could have done more”? And revelling in SBS’s “he came to us first” situation?

Some things are better left unsaid. He just took it personally when called out and went overboard imo.

I thought everyone was a druggie to a point; there’s too much history there. And how do you think I would have reacted to Golden Boy survivor waving the cancer flag about back then? :lol:

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:40 pm

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:59 pm

The doping scandal has also got one of our swimmers too:

https://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2019-07- ... l/11354742

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:57 am

I like the policy that an athlete is immediately suspended until it is clarified. In many other nations (across many sports) there would be a flat denial and continued competition.

An issue is for athletes who are genuinely clean, if they are in form then a complete season is ruined though it is also the nature of controls when since picks up a result outside the limits, as innocent or guilty a rider may be... it needs to be clarified and still the price to pay (along with being a public figure).

If this policy was in place globally with the Froome then with his positive doping tests, then for cycling fans it would have been much clearer. Not that it makes it acceptable for fans that sick athletes can legally exceed doping limits to compete when common sense suggests they should stick to the limits... and if they are too sick, they are too sick.
Cycling is in my BNA

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:10 am

The swimmer Jack is in a different category to Froome. Jack has tested positive for Ligandrol which is thought to increase muscle mass & is banned at all times & in any detectable quantity. There is no acceptable use. While she says she must have taken a contaminated supplement that's likely to be very difficult to prove & at best will result in a reduced ban. She is pretty much in the same situation and Contador & clembuterol with his contaminated beef theory.

Salbutamol which Froome used was permitted at all times, even during competition, within limits. Yes the case was handled poorly & revealed some major deficiencies. Ironically the Chinese swimmer Sun Yang was suspended because he didn't have a TUE for the stimulant trimetazidine, which was allegedly used to treat a heart condition - a line of excuse that will be familiar to any cycling fan.

Be interesting to see what happens with ketones, given something like 1/2 the teams use them in one form or another.
Anything you can do, I can do slower

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:37 am

Team Sky's Dr Freeman admits to lieing. I wonder which rider was administered the testosterone he now admits to ordering. Oh that's right, the data with the rider medications schedule was on the laptop Freeman conveniently lost. :roll:

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/freem ... e-patches/

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:54 pm

Is anyone really surprised that he lied ?

I'm more surprised that he's coming out with a more realistic version of the truth. Makes me wonder why ?

Did Brailsford's money run out, his conscious suddenly return, or the evidence was overwhelming.... ?

So who's getting spare undies ready ...

They're missing an asterisk in this image, the one where "we don't cross the line" unless someone fess's up .... :roll:

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:32 pm

The bus is approaching and it looks like Freeman is selecting who's gonna get pushed under it ....

On Tuesday, Freeman acknowledged that he ordered the testosterone but is set to argue it was for a member of staff, namely former British Cycling and Team Sky technical director Shane Sutton

Looks like Sutton's the 1st, but who's next ... :roll:

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:44 pm

MichaelB wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:32 pm
The bus is approaching and it looks like Freeman is selecting who's gonna get pushed under it ....

On Tuesday, Freeman acknowledged that he ordered the testosterone but is set to argue it was for a member of staff, namely former British Cycling and Team Sky technical director Shane Sutton

Looks like Sutton's the 1st, but who's next ... :roll:
Sutton has denied it was for him. I'm sure he had heard of Via gra. Of course Freeman would say it was for a non-rider.

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:19 pm

And the accuser wants a screen between himself and the accused while giving evidence.

Bwaaahahaaahaha :lol:

On a more serious note; how long can Little Richie be considered “clean” now? The repercussions could be deep here.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Sat Nov 02, 2019 5:26 pm

fat and old wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:19 pm

On a more serious note; how long can Little Richie be considered “clean” now? The repercussions could be deep here.
I get why others are under the microscope, but LRP ? How ? Especially compared to others

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Sat Nov 02, 2019 6:57 pm

MichaelB wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 5:26 pm
fat and old wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:19 pm

I get why others are under the microscope, but LRP ? How ? Especially compared to others
I reckon all of Sky’s riders at the top end of the pool should be under the scope. All of them. Not one held form post Sky. I mention little Richie simply cos he’s an Aussie and fits the ex Sky profile.

Let’s see how Wout Poels rides this year.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:51 am

Team Sky doping saga updates via Guardian.... he said, she said...

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2019/ ... ed-cycling
Cycling is in my BNA

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:50 am

AUbicycles wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:51 am
Team Sky doping saga updates via Guardian.... he said, she said...

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2019/ ... ed-cycling
Freeman's defence is that former head coach at British Cycling and Team Sky is a lying doper. :lol:

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:07 pm

That can't be true... Team Sky has a Zero Tolerance Policy and have always been transparent.
Cycling is in my BNA

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:07 pm

AUbicycles wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:07 pm
That can't be true... Team Sky has a Zero Tolerance Policy on Doping and have always been transparent.
Cycling is in my BNA