Crapola!!!....P.E.D's in Cycling

trailgumby

Re: Crapola!!!....P.E.D's in Cycling

Postby trailgumby » Fri Jan 20, 2023 6:21 pm

Not cycling related but close to home: Australian runner Peter Bol has had a preliminary AAF against him for EPO.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/athletics/ ... 5cec1.html

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Jan 21, 2023 8:07 pm

trailgumby wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 6:21 pm
Not cycling related but close to home: Australian runner Peter Bol has had a preliminary AAF against him for EPO.

This be interesting, seeing as he has handed over all of his devices for a forensics check. :idea:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sun Jan 22, 2023 4:16 pm

foo on patrol wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 8:07 pm
trailgumby wrote:

This be interesting, seeing as he has handed over all of his devices for a forensics check. :idea:

Foo

The obvious question is, did he in fact hand then *all* over?

skyblot

Postby skyblot » Sun Jan 22, 2023 6:45 pm

trailgumby wrote:
Sun Jan 22, 2023 4:16 pm
foo on patrol wrote:
trailgumby wrote:

Foo

So what's the significance in handing over all the devices? What am I missing?

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sun Jan 22, 2023 8:40 pm

skyblot wrote:
Sun Jan 22, 2023 6:45 pm
trailgumby wrote:
Sun Jan 22, 2023 4:16 pm
foo on patrol wrote:

Foo

So what's the significance in handing over all the devices? What am I missing?

I think Bol is trying to make a case that he's had no communication with any supplier about trying to purchase PEDs.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Mon Jan 23, 2023 8:58 am

foo on patrol wrote:
trailgumby wrote:

Foo
Hopefully the answers will come out quickly unlike some of the cycling timeframes

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:10 am

MichaelB wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 8:58 am
foo on patrol wrote:
trailgumby wrote:

Foo
Hopefully the answers will come out quickly unlike some of the cycling timeframes

Part of the flaw in the process, to be sure. The time delay in the notification process between testing and results being notified to the athlete the major one.

It severely stacks the odds against the athlete being able to investigate potential contamination vectors and gather evidence. Given the massive difference in resources between typically cash-strapped athlete and the testing authorities that needs to be fixed so that the process is fairer and removes potential for doubt about the result. Unfortunately there is no incentive for anti-doping agencies to fix this.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Tue Feb 14, 2023 4:07 pm

Olympian Peter Bol has provisional doping suspension for EPO lifted after B-sample does not match A-sample

It's a very unusual occurrence - should be serious questions asked about how the process went wrong
Anything you can do, I can do slower

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Tue Feb 14, 2023 5:59 pm

find_bruce wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2023 4:07 pm
Olympian Peter Bol has provisional doping suspension for EPO lifted after B-sample does not match A-sample

It's a very unusual occurrence - should be serious questions asked about how the process went wrong

Call me pleasantly surprised!

Some details emerge from this report that are more than a little disturbing:
* SIA going into arse-covering mode. "Sport Integrity Australia has said it is still investigating Australian Olympian Peter Bol despite his provisional suspension for doping being lifted." I hope that doesn't devolve into a witch hunt to find Bol guilty of something so as to save someone's professional reputation.

* Banning the guy from training as well as competing. Strikes me as complete overreach and effectively turns a 4-year ban into a lifetime ban, with potentially life-altering impacts on physical and mental health. How do you come back from 4 years of doing nothing? I hope that just means he can't be trained by an accredited coach - quite severe in itself - rather than prohibiting any kind of training effort at all. Otherwise that's quite unjust, even if it was someone who transgressed as egregiously as Lance.

* Failure to provide any detailed documentation (it appears) about the AAF when suspending him.

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Tue Feb 14, 2023 9:27 pm

Is it unusual or do they not normally release a positive test until it is verified?

I don't think they are supposed to release the result until the B sample, but this one appears to have been leaked.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

RonK

Postby RonK » Wed Feb 15, 2023 8:17 am

find_bruce wrote:

But has it gone wrong? That is not yet clear. The B sample.test was atypical, not negative, and while the provisional ban has been lifted, the matter remains under investigation. It's not over yet.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Feb 15, 2023 9:07 am

RonK wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 8:17 am
find_bruce wrote:

But has it gone wrong? That is not yet clear. The B sample.test was atypical, not negative, and while the provisional ban has been lifted, the matter remains under investigation. It's not over yet.
Typical political answer re test results. Words are spoken, but nothing really explained .... :roll:

Mr Purple

Postby Mr Purple » Wed Feb 15, 2023 12:16 pm

As Ron says, the B sample was not negative. It just revealed an 'Atypical Finding' which apparently requires further analysis.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Wed Feb 15, 2023 7:02 pm

RonK wrote:
I agree it's not over yet -that particular test however is done like a dinner. The A & B sample are identical & the results should be identical. Sport Integrity Australia has admitted that the B-sample did not match his A-sample. This indicates a failure in the testing process - the whole purpose of testing two identical samples is to check the results.

If the result of testing 2 identical samples does not match then this itself says there is a significant problem in the testing process.
Mr Purple wrote: As Ron says, the B sample was not negative. It just revealed an 'Atypical Finding' which apparently requires further analysis.
Not quite - it would be correct if the A sample was atypical. No amount of analysis will get a better result because the results are inconsistent. Yes there will be further investigation, but it is likely to involve consideration of other matters such as tests conducted before or since. It might also involve investigations of the traditional kind, such as looking if there is a link between Bol and a supplier of Recombinant EPO.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Wed Feb 15, 2023 8:21 pm

find_bruce wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 7:02 pm
RonK wrote:
I agree it's not over yet -that particular test however is done like a dinner. The A & B sample are identical & the results should be identical. Sport Integrity Australia has admitted that the B-sample did not match his A-sample. This indicates a failure in the testing process - the whole purpose of testing two identical samples is to check the results.

If the result of testing 2 identical samples does not match then this itself says there is a significant problem in the testing process.
Mr Purple wrote: As Ron says, the B sample was not negative. It just revealed an 'Atypical Finding' which apparently requires further analysis.
Not quite - it would be correct if the A sample was atypical. No amount of analysis will get a better result because the results are inconsistent. Yes there will be further investigation, but it is likely to involve consideration of other matters such as tests conducted before or since. It might also involve investigations of the traditional kind, such as looking if there is a link between Bol and a supplier of Recombinant EPO.

The cyclist Andre Cardoso was given a four year ban for EPO despite the B sample not matching the A sample.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sat Apr 15, 2023 8:30 am

And another hit for EPO. Fabio Mazzucco. Amazing that people think they won't get caught.

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/italia ... -positive/

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Fri Aug 04, 2023 3:06 am

On the eve of the 2023 world’s in Glasgow, Aussie Rob Stannard has been suspended by the UCI for doping violations from 4 -5 years ago.

Rob has denied this (was riding for Team Mitchelton-Scott at the time).

What I don’t get… these are 2018/19 violations… why now? We have to await an outcome / information but I think it also needs to be disclosed why this happens first now. The timing is noteworthy.
Cycling is in my BNA

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Sun Aug 20, 2023 1:58 pm

The time taken to action sanctions is ridiculous - this week Toon Aerts - who has been suspended since 16 February 2022 - son only 6 months left to serve.

Similarly Richard Freeman, the former Team Sky doctor, who has been suspended since 22 December 2020, gets a 4 year ban. The fact that he has lost his medical licence will have a far greater affect on his capacity to corrupt sport, but even so.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Tue Aug 29, 2023 4:39 pm

Hessmann from TJV popped for a banned diuretic in mid August. Apparently suspended from the team after a police raid, so he may not be riding for a few years …

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Mon Nov 06, 2023 8:43 am

Doesn't seem to have been reported, but TJV's Michael Hessman's B-Sample is +ve for diuretics.
Jumbo-Visma rider Michael Hessmann's B-sample has also tested positive for a diuretic, meaning the German now faces a ban from cycling, according to a report in Badische Zeitung.

The 22-year-old was provisionally suspended by his team when the news emerged in August that he had tested positive in June for "a diuretic that was contained in a medication."

Badische Zeitung has reported that analysis of the rider's B-sample has now confirmed the initial positive, which was taken in an out-of-competition test on June 14. The German Anti-Doping Agency announced the news at the request of the newspaper.
Stand by to standby for an upcoming 4 year ban. Silly move for the 22 year old ..

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Fri Nov 24, 2023 6:23 pm

Jan Ullrich has embarked on step whatever with his “full admission of doping”. Not cheating, cos everyone else was doing it. Just doping, to keep up. I kind of get it, but it doesn’t excuse the arrogance in the claim.

Oh, and two time TdF winner Jonas Vinningard admitted he missed a test cos his doorbell was broken.

:lol: :lol:

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Nov 26, 2023 8:42 am

fat and old wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2023 6:23 pm
Jan Ullrich has embarked on step whatever with his “full admission of doping”. Not cheating, cos everyone else was doing it. Just doping, to keep up. I kind of get it, but it doesn’t excuse the arrogance in the claim.

Oh, and two time TdF winner Jonas Vinningard admitted he missed a test cos his doorbell was broken.

:lol: :lol:

Possibly watch this space in the future. :idea:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Thu Feb 08, 2024 12:09 pm

Sabgal-Anicolor (ex Lidl-Trek) Antwan Tolhoek allegedly tests positive to Anabolic Androgenic steroids in an out of comp test on 27th Nov 23.

Yikes

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu Feb 08, 2024 10:19 pm

MichaelB wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2024 12:09 pm
Sabgal-Anicolor (ex Lidl-Trek) Antwan Tolhoek allegedly tests positive to Anabolic Androgenic steroids in an out of comp test on 27th Nov 23.

Yikes
Maybe he can join the enhanced games...

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/swimming/t ... 5f3k3.html

Whole thing seems like a publicity stunt but probably a whole bunch of people ready to trash their health for some dollars. Let's see how they are at 60 years old or so if they put this rubbish in their systems.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Fri Feb 09, 2024 8:29 am

g-boaf wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2024 10:19 pm
MichaelB wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2024 12:09 pm

Yikes
Maybe he can join the enhanced games...

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/swimming/t ... 5f3k3.html

Whole thing seems like a publicity stunt but probably a whole bunch of people ready to trash their health for some dollars. Let's see how they are at 60 years old or so if they put this rubbish in their systems.
If that is actually true and exactly what he said, I find it REALLY disappointing that a world class athlete would do that, JUST for the money, and lets face it, $1M isn't that much anymore (esp after tax !).

I thought decent aussie sports peeps were better than that sort of crap :cry: