Buying a bike: Some general advice for new riders

10speedsemiracer

Re: Buying a bike: Some general advice for new riders

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Mon May 13, 2019 3:03 pm

eciuj wrote:I'm looking to get a bike for my wife. She wants one of those vintage cruisers (it's all about style with her!). Question, is there much difference between a steel frame and alloy/aluminium? Only seems to be 1kg difference in overall weight.
Not all steel is equal. Some are plain old hi-ten (heavy) whereas the better quality frames are often cr-mo (steel alloy including chromium, molybdenum and sometimes manganese etc etc) which is much lighter. Is there a budget ?

The Reid ladies Vintage bikes are decent value for $s, or maybe something like this alloy Polygon 8sp ladies vintage :
would work..https://www.bicyclesonline.com.au/polyg ... city~88890
Campagnolo for show, SunTour for go

ammar

Postby ammar » Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:30 pm

Hello everyone!

Looking to buy a hybrid or a road bicycle with a range of 400-600 aud, will be cycling to work which is 5 km away from my home, stores near me are 99bikes, Blackman and Decathlon.

My previous bicycle in Istanbul was a Rockrider 340 Medium which I found to be slow and heavy, and that's why I would prefer not to buy a mountain bike.

Best regards,

Ammar

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:46 am

Visit Blackman first. They may be more expensive (than Decathlon) but are a 'real bikeshop'.

99Bikes is second choice - still some ok brands and the competence of the staff to guide you can differ between stores. They are the most active in marketing so may promote things like a bike for $499.... but on the condition that you join their special club (paid club). Look at the final price and compare with the Blackman bikes and see which are more competent and have the right value.

Decathlon are a bit cheap and there are a few BTWIN bikes floating about. Generally entry level so you will get an attractive price but I am not sure how well the Australian Decathlon is doing for knowing bikes (as they are a sports store rather than bike store) and quality.

In your price range, I would focus on the brands that your local stores have and ensure that the staff look after you and the bike feels right. If it is going over your head, don't be forced to buy quickly, you can always check in here and the friendly members will chip in and provide guidance on your questions / bike choices.
Cycling is in my BNA

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:04 pm

+1 for the above with Blackman being the better/more bike-focused option than either of the others.

The budget however doesn't really allow much in the way of choice, and I would suggest that if there were a Bike Co-Op near you, that would be the best option.
Bike Co-Ops typically refurbish a variety of bikes and often have a selection of styles available.

The other option, and the one I would pursue, would be to find an appropriate Trek/Giant/Specialized/Kona or whatever brand Hybrid/flat bar road bike on Gumtree for, say, $300-ish and give it a service+new tyres (if needed) however this also requires a little bit of bike-related knowledge when checking bikes out to make sure one doesn't purchase a bike with issues. Maybe take a friend who's into bikes?
If we knew your approximate location, I'm sure someone here could direct you to a Bike Co-Op..

ammar

Postby ammar » Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:29 pm

AUbicycles wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:46 am
Visit Blackman first. They may be more expensive (than Decathlon) but are a 'real bikeshop'.

99Bikes is second choice - still some ok brands and the competence of the staff to guide you can differ between stores. They are the most active in marketing so may promote things like a bike for $499.... but on the condition that you join their special club (paid club). Look at the final price and compare with the Blackman bikes and see which are more competent and have the right value.

Decathlon are a bit cheap and there are a few BTWIN bikes floating about. Generally entry level so you will get an attractive price but I am not sure how well the Australian Decathlon is doing for knowing bikes (as they are a sports store rather than bike store) and quality.

In your price range, I would focus on the brands that your local stores have and ensure that the staff look after you and the bike feels right. If it is going over your head, don't be forced to buy quickly, you can always check in here and the friendly members will chip in and provide guidance on your questions / bike choices.
Thank you so much for your advice :) indeed they are very good in marketing and I bought a Merida Speeder 10 as a start for $499; let's see how I go!

Ammar

ammar

Postby ammar » Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:35 pm

10speedsemiracer wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:04 pm
+1 for the above with Blackman being the better/more bike-focused option than either of the others.

The budget however doesn't really allow much in the way of choice, and I would suggest that if there were a Bike Co-Op near you, that would be the best option.
Bike Co-Ops typically refurbish a variety of bikes and often have a selection of styles available.

The other option, and the one I would pursue, would be to find an appropriate Trek/Giant/Specialized/Kona or whatever brand Hybrid/flat bar road bike on Gumtree for, say, $300-ish and give it a service+new tyres (if needed) however this also requires a little bit of bike-related knowledge when checking bikes out to make sure one doesn't purchase a bike with issues. Maybe take a friend who's into bikes?
If we knew your approximate location, I'm sure someone here could direct you to a Bike Co-Op..
Thank you for your advice :) I agree it takes some experience and above all 'time' which is my most valuable commodity, that's why I went to 99 Bikes and bought the Merida Speeder 10; I'd've went to Blackman if I had time or would've got one from Gumtree and had it serviced, but the problem is it takes time to get the right size & price and get it delivered.

Ammar

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:52 am

Not sure why Blackman would have been more time consuming... unless it was further away so interested to hear more.

Merida is a good brand so hope it delivers.
Cycling is in my BNA

Kimmo

Postby Kimmo » Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:49 pm

AUbicycles wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:52 am
Merida is a good brand so hope it delivers.
Their internal cable routing can be pretty atrocious.

1Rowdy1

Postby 1Rowdy1 » Tue Dec 24, 2019 8:18 pm

Apart from Surly, does anyone make a ridged fork mountain bike? I really don't like suspension as I feel like I an on a boat, even locked out it felt like it was bobbing up and down, admittedly I have only ever ridden 1 bike with suspension.

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Tue Dec 24, 2019 8:35 pm

1Rowdy1 wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 8:18 pm
Apart from Surly, does anyone make a ridged fork mountain bike? I really don't like suspension as I feel like I an on a boat, even locked out it felt like it was bobbing up and down, admittedly I have only ever ridden 1 bike with suspension.
Soma make a few different fork models, as do Velo Orange although their range has shrunk a bit..

https://www.somafab.com/parts/forks

https://velo-orange.com/collections/pio ... ement-fork

mick_k

Postby mick_k » Sat Dec 28, 2019 9:56 pm

1Rowdy1 wrote:
Have a look at the Giant Toughroad and Jamis Sequel. I'm looking for something similar myself and the Giant is the frontrunner at the moment.

MK

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:23 pm

1Rowdy1 wrote:
With good suspension? Properly tuned? Cheap or poorly tuned forks aren’t much chop, but better ones are much better.

It’s horses for courses, suspension isn’t needed until you get into rough stuff on the trails, but it’s great when you get there.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

Zahidhabibi0800

Postby Zahidhabibi0800 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:00 pm

Hey everyone,
I was checking out the vast varieties of bikes in store and stumbled upon this beautifully fitting and looking bike. I am sad to say that it was a female frame, however, non of the other bikes, including mens ones, were as comfortable. I am interested in buying it, can i hear your thoughts?
Is female specific road bikes still relevant in 2020? 8)

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:13 pm

Zahidhabibi0800 wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:00 pm
Hey everyone,
I was checking out the vast varieties of bikes in store and stumbled upon this beautifully fitting and looking bike. I am sad to say that it was a female frame, however, non of the other bikes, including mens ones, were as comfortable. I am interested in buying it, can i hear your thoughts?
Is female specific road bikes still relevant in 2020? 8)
No reason to be sad.... we all have different body shapes and you should maintain the confidence in who you are... and not needing to conform to anything else just because there are standards or common sizes.

Genetically women can have different body proportions and Women's Specific Design is an approach to design around this and try and make the sizing more appropriate... but at the end of the day, if the most perfectly designed bike is not comfortable, then it is a problem.

I do recommend a professional bike fit and if you choose a bike that is around your size, then saddle height, position and stem length and handlebar position can be adjusted and in most cases you have enough range to get the bike to fit. But the frame design and riding comfort (even tyre selection and pressure and cycling gear) affect comfort.

But if you are asking whether you can buy a frame that looks great and fits well... yes! I have one which I selected because the side was right and it was not as boring and the run of the mill bikes.
Cycling is in my BNA

DropbearOZ

Postby DropbearOZ » Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:48 am

Hi lads,
Currently riding a trek marlin 6 29er looking to buy a new HT. I’m riding softer trails but might be looking into duathlon type races.
I’ve started to go down the rabbit hole of brands ,components, gearing etc. My biggest headache is component quality, what should I be looking for vs don’t touch with a 20ft pole. Gearing is next my current bike is a 3*8, everyone is talking 2*9 or 1*9 and variations of that, if possible I don’t want to lose too much top end speed but all brands seem to be going this way especially with the new season arrivals. Hopefully I’m not being a pest .

Cheers guys :D

Jac Redbank

Postby Jac Redbank » Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:10 pm

Hi there, Im not a cyclist and have no past experience of bike riding and thought i'd look for some advice on buying a used bike. I've no idea where to start or what im looking for, and even the cost of a second hand bike, so any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Last edited by Jac Redbank on Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Giant Rider

Postby Giant Rider » Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:11 pm

Hi Jac and welcome to the world of cycling. Having no past experience shouldnt be a problem especially as you only really want to do local riding. A few questions, whats your budget for this second hand bike, are you after a tour bike just to roll out of the garage or a road bike that you may want to experience more, your height will also be important (go to your lbs and get a look at frame sizes best suited to you).
Keith - Gravity is both my best friend and my worst enemy!!

Roadie : 18 BMC Team Machine
Mountain : 14 Scott Spark 940

Jac Redbank

Postby Jac Redbank » Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:28 pm

Thanks for the questions Giant Rider, im 170cm tall so what size should i be looking for? i'll go get some advice from the local bike shop. Budget, well i'd like to spend as little as possible, but i still want something that isnt gonna fall apart either. So maybe around $500 - $800 mark at the most. What else should i be looking for? I see lots of bikes on ebay and gumtree but still have no idea what im looking at. I suppose i just dont want to buy something and waste money.
Last edited by Jac Redbank on Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Giant Rider

Postby Giant Rider » Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:42 pm

Ok Jac so your price should get you something a few years old but if the owner has looked after the bike you could do ok. Along with the bike things like a standing bike pump, helmet (which is law), a bell (also law) lights or at the very least a tail light. Cycling shoes and kit will all come much later down the track.

Jac Redbank

Postby Jac Redbank » Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:27 pm

Ok Giant Rider, so after looking at some bikes at the local bike shop, im pretty sure im after a tourer bike, more so than a road bike. Maybe sometime down the track after seeing just how much i'd actually ride the bike to begin with. So i'll continue to look for something along the touring side of riding

Giant Rider

Postby Giant Rider » Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:47 pm

Jac Redbank, so at least you now have an idea of what it is your looking for. Just remember that when buying a second hand bike you can either take the bike into your local bike shop for a service or just replace a few things like the tyres, chain, maybe rear cassette, seat, brake pads. On second thoughts take it into a shop to do a full service, your local shop will have the bike feeling like a new one. But if you have a friend that know bikes they could at the very least help change out old tyres, brake pads and a few other things that are easily replaceable.

Jac Redbank

Postby Jac Redbank » Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:10 pm

So once i've found the bike will i need to replace things on it straight away?

Giant Rider

Postby Giant Rider » Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:08 pm

well not always but you will want to get your local bike shop to give it the once over and they may suggest replacing a few things. Brake pads, any cables, possible chain and maybe the seat.

Jac Redbank

Postby Jac Redbank » Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:27 pm

So i get the general wear and tear but im not sure why the seat would need to be replaced?

RobertL

Postby RobertL » Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:44 pm

Jac Redbank wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:27 pm
So i get the general wear and tear but im not sure why the seat would need to be replaced?
Only for comfort purposes. The saddle is very, very unlikely to be "worn out".

Saddles are a very personal choice, and whatever saddle it comes with may not be suitable for you. Or it may. You won't know until you try it.