Diet Thread

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
find_bruce

Re: Diet Thread

Postby find_bruce » Wed Jul 19, 2023 2:27 pm

There were some posts on here by Lex & Whil, who were chatbots. They're gone now
Anything you can do, I can do slower

Cyclophiliac

Postby Cyclophiliac » Thu Aug 24, 2023 8:33 am

I'm not sure if this belongs here, or in one of the other health-related threads, but here it is anyway, feel free to move it mods.

It's funny, it just occurred to me there could be a transport version of this comic, with a bicycle as the 'before' and a large SUV car as the 'after. :)

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Thu Aug 24, 2023 1:32 pm

Cyclophiliac wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2023 8:33 am
I'm not sure if this belongs here, or in one of the other health-related threads, but here it is anyway, feel free to move it mods.

It's funny, it just occurred to me there could be a transport version of this comic, with a bicycle as the 'before' and a large SUV car as the 'after. :)
Funny? Yes.
Sad? Yes.
Belongs here? Yes.

Both came about by the advancement of technology applied to the business ventures. The food side introduced more processed foods mainly for home use that were cheaper (ingredients often subsidised by govt) and more convenient. They are also programmed to be hyper-palatable and so makes us eat more. The major problem with that is, we don't just eat more of their product, we eat up to 25% more of everything we eat. It reprograms our brains as brain scans have shown.

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Sat Sep 09, 2023 1:13 pm

Mr Purple wrote:
Sat May 06, 2023 9:47 am
I'll wade in and give my entirely unqualified opinion on this!
awww shucks :lol:
There's no magic bullet.
Damn straight! I've had a recent hospital stay (FWIW, I love being in hospital. Really. Once you're sorted you know you're not gonna die, people waiting on you, nobody messes with you except for the 2 hourly have you had a stroke check, not bothered by work....love it!) and once again have used it to reset and begin the road to rehabilitation, of which weight loss is a biggie (apparently I'm "pre-diabetic"). I can state with certainty that what worked 10 years ago post stroke is not working as well now, and that didn't work as well as post pancreatitis 16 years ago. However, the constant is making the correct lifestyle choice.

Life as I knew it is over :cry:

am50em

Postby am50em » Sat Sep 09, 2023 4:08 pm

Sorry to hear. Hopefully your recovery goes well. I have been prediabetic for a number of years but stable.
Only spent overnite in hospital after cardiac ablation. I didn't mind staying there. Though the tv screen need updating. Who has CRT TVs these days!

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sat Sep 09, 2023 6:41 pm

fat and old wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2023 1:13 pm

Damn straight! I've had a recent hospital stay (FWIW, I love being in hospital. Really. Once you're sorted you know you're not gonna die, people waiting on you, nobody messes with you except for the 2 hourly have you had a stroke check, not bothered by work....love it!) and once again have used it to reset and begin the road to rehabilitation, of which weight loss is a biggie (apparently I'm "pre-diabetic"). I can state with certainty that what worked 10 years ago post stroke is not working as well now, and that didn't work as well as post pancreatitis 16 years ago. However, the constant is making the correct lifestyle choice.

Glad you are still here though F&O.
Plenty don't get that chance.
Nobody has put a lot of quality content in this and the Plant based thread. I don't follow it all but I do use it to inform some healthier choices.
He is right. You can't out exercise a crap diet.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sat Sep 09, 2023 7:06 pm

fat and old wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2023 1:13 pm

Sorry to hear. :( Hope your recovery goes okay.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:30 pm

Thanks WH1. :)

fat and old wrote:...weight loss is a biggie (apparently I'm "pre-diabetic").

I get a lot of information from what many would consider alternative/fringe sources, even though they have the scientific results to back them. For the people who prefer mainstream sources for dietary information, the ABC article below quotes a professor as to the cause of diabetes. It might be enlightening. Basically, get the fat out of your diet and your pre-diabetes should improve or disappear. Since higher fat processed foods are usually the quickest way to add/keep body fat.
Type 2 diabetes: Understanding Australia's fastest growing chronic condition - ABC
Have a look below at the difference in my LDL cholesterol and A1c. The only difference between the test results was the amount of ground seeds I was consuming. The low reading was vertually none, and the high reading was about 70g per day.

fat and old wrote:I can state with certainty that what worked 10 years ago post stroke is not working as well now, and that didn't work as well as post pancreatitis 16 years ago. However, the constant is making the correct lifestyle choice.

Yes. As we get older it's a given that everything physical generally gets harder, especially health markers. So we have to try harder to get the same results. However life is only over if it revolves around food. If you're willing to let that go, then you can improve your health at any age.
Last edited by Nobody on Thu Nov 23, 2023 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Sun Sep 10, 2023 9:11 am

Thanks all, I’ll be fine. Just can’t eat like the pig I am :lol: Was reading a bit about Richie Porte last night, same height as me, 30kg less at race weight, or say 20kg at normal sane human weight.

Road to health is simple really, just takes effort aye? And a reason to make that effort too.
He is right. You can't out exercise a crap diet.
Yeah, I tried :lol:

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Mon Sep 11, 2023 11:57 am

fat and old wrote:Road to health is simple really, just takes effort aye? And a reason to make that effort too.
Yes, purpose power is stronger than will power over the long term and it's what you need to form new habits. Once the healthier habits are in place - about 2 months - then it's easier (if not easy) after that.

However I wouldn't say the road to health is simple. Once you're older and/or have a lot of chronic conditions, then balancing and tuning one's diet and lifestyle can be at the least challenging. As someone with Meniere's Disease, Haemochromatosis and four tumours (that I know of), I haven't found it simple. Water fasting can be a partial solution. But not very pleasant and can get dangerous itself after some days.

Learning about the best way of eating to battle chronic conditions is an advantage, but not the whole answer.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Mon Sep 18, 2023 4:06 pm

I'm not usually a follower of the CSIRO because they are sponsored by the animal agriculture industry and therefore their advice is compromised IMO. However, I can't really fault the below for omnivores who want to improve their diet. I'll add that those looking for increased health should look to adding vegetables first, before looking to add whole grains or fruit. Some vegetables are healthier than others though.

A CSIRO report has found many Aussies have poor diets. Here are five easy ways to improve yours - ABC News

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Tue Sep 26, 2023 4:15 pm

Sorta obvious aye? Meal prepping is where it's at, esp. for me. Sorta sucks to stand prepping a week's food for work, but it does work. Hate to say this, but easy too.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Tue Sep 26, 2023 8:26 pm

fat and old wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2023 4:15 pm
Sorta obvious aye? Meal prepping is where it's at, esp. for me. Sorta sucks to stand prepping a week's food for work, but it does work. Hate to say this, but easy too.
Yeah the environment we expose ourselves to is key. Change you're environment and habits, change your life. A lot of this stuff is obvious to those who bother to educate themselves in it. Others seem to need a shake to get them back to reality, which this article appears to be dumbed down to do. The problem is the typical people likely to read this thread probably won't be the target of the article.

Just finished about 2 hours of meal prep for the next 3 days. A bit longer for the 4 day prep, but I do that on the weekend. Mine is more complicated than most since I soak the veg in diluted vinegar - as it's not organic, but eaten raw - then soak to rinse as well. Then through the food processor to grate it for a couple of reasons.

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Wed Sep 27, 2023 6:02 am

Nobody wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2023 8:26 pm
Change your environment and habits, change your life. A lot of this stuff is obvious to those who bother to educate themselves in it. Others seem to need a shake to get them back to reality, which this article appears to be dumbed down to do.
When it comes to lifestyle/health choices, I’ve never met a person who didn’t need provocation. Even if it’s only to get the hot chick, or that 1,000,000th follower.
But meh, I’m happy to be provoked, I work better that way being at heart a lazy so and so :lol:

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Wed Sep 27, 2023 10:24 am

fat and old wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2023 6:02 am
Nobody wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2023 8:26 pm
Change your environment and habits, change your life. A lot of this stuff is obvious to those who bother to educate themselves in it. Others seem to need a shake to get them back to reality, which this article appears to be dumbed down to do.
When it comes to lifestyle/health choices, I’ve never met a person who didn’t need provocation. Even if it’s only to get the hot chick, or that 1,000,000th follower.
But meh, I’m happy to be provoked, I work better that way being at heart a lazy so and so :lol:
An honest one though and accurate too :) . Yeah it is trying to stay healthy and live longer that provokes my choices but they could improve still :oops: .
I regularly see the results of the wrong choices at work.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Sun Oct 08, 2023 8:45 pm

Interesting video.

it's true what they said about calories in versus calories out. As said, biological systems are different to straight physics.When we exercise, we use energy more efficiently. Different foods are processed differently by people's bodies and the effect of the foods on the body's hormone levels may be a factor. The main problem with processed foods are that they reprogram peoples' brains to consume up to 25% more food. Not just the processed food either, but all foods.

I thought it was good that they mentioned that the poor are disproportionally targeted because processed foods are often cheaper than healthier foods.

To quote the Managing Director of the German Diabetes Association, "Even today, economic interests is invariably a higher priority than public health". A common theme I've mentioned in this thread many times.

IMO the video has too much emphasis on sugar laden processed foods. IIRC the fat & salt combination processed foods are consumed more than sugar laden processed foods - by energy intake. However I don't want to diminish the danger of sugar - and artificial sweetener - laden processed foods. They also didn't mention the primary role fat plays in causing insulin resistance and diabetes.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Mon Oct 09, 2023 10:41 am

I'm posting the below article because of the commentary in regard to (unverified/not linked) evidence that the order we eat foods matters. Not because I agree with the type of foods they are promoting. Interestingly, this seems to be the opposite of what I've read in "Living Foods for Optimum Health" which is in regard to raw foods and healing. It says we should eat what is digested fasted first, so we don't get over-decomposition of the faster digested foods that upsets the digestive process. So interesting. I suppose for me it will be try both to see which works better. That is why I recommend trialing different foods and processes for yourself. The most relevant experiments to you are ones you do on yourself.

Of all that is written in the article below, I disagree most with the idea of "good fats". There is evidence that all types of fat increase atherosclerosis and the experiments I have done looking at my own blood tests have shown that just increasing flax and chia seeds in my diet increase my LDL cholesterol from 1.6 to 2.6. If you want to keep your insulin low, minimize you atherosclerosis and even reduce your cancer risk, then minimizing or eliminating higher fat foods can be of benefit. You'll probably also find you feel like you have more energy and aerobic power by doing so.

Trying to eat healthier? Why you should eat your veg first (and save the chips and bread until last) - SMH.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Mon Oct 09, 2023 2:51 pm

Causes of Insulin Resistance: The Personal Fat Threshold

Related to the post above as the author of this was quoted in that article.

It goes into the personal fat threshold and what that means for insulini resistance. Way too much information for most of us. I didn't read it all. But I did find it useful that I should be looking a my BMI, also fasting triglicerides, HsCRP and fasting glucose which are all fairly easy to get with blood tests.

am50em

Postby am50em » Mon Oct 09, 2023 3:20 pm

I read some of it and it more based on fat percentage rather than BMI. BMI is a flawed measure for individuals. It doesn't account for muscle amount and heights away from average give misleading values.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Mon Oct 09, 2023 8:28 pm

am50em wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2023 3:20 pm
I read some of it and it more based on fat percentage rather than BMI. BMI is a flawed measure for individuals. It doesn't account for muscle amount and heights away from average give misleading values.
True, but % bodyfat is not that easy to calculate/estimate and even more so for visceral fat. Waist to height ratio is better than BMI at estimating visceral fat and doesn't get lost at the height fringes like BMI. I talked about it in the first post of the BNA Loser Club thread.

am50em

Postby am50em » Mon Oct 09, 2023 8:42 pm

A DEXA scan for $90 to establish a baseline might be good value. Then track changes in weight, waist to height etc.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Mon Oct 09, 2023 10:04 pm

If you can accept the increased cancer risk with the X-Ray exposure.

am50em

Postby am50em » Tue Oct 10, 2023 3:24 am

Minimal. A single flight Syd-Mel is a minimum 2.5 times more.
https://www.measureup.com.au/dexa-scans-radiation/

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Tue Oct 10, 2023 9:26 am

Fortunately, I don't fly either. Last time I did that flight was for work in 2002, which was also the last fight I took anywhere.

am50em

Postby am50em » Thu Oct 12, 2023 7:53 am

Maybe a better measure is Body Shape Index which incorporates waist circumference with BMI.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Body_shape_index
https://www.omnicalculator.com/health/a ... hape-index

My ABSI z-score -0.6193 (which adjusts for age/sex)