Moron Motorists #3

familyguy

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby familyguy » Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:41 pm

Shout out to the Coles truck driver idling in a residential street for 26 minutes last night, studiously ignoring the waves of two people and a knock on the window. Not even a photo for posterity and reporting seemed to break his resolve. At least when they're moving they seem to be more considerate lately.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:46 pm

familyguy wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:41 pm
Shout out to the Coles truck driver idling in a residential street for 26 minutes last night, studiously ignoring the waves of two people and a knock on the window. Not even a photo for posterity and reporting seemed to break his resolve. At least when they're moving they seem to be more considerate lately.
What, a big truck? :o That's inconsiderate - but those people complaining will probably called out about it.

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:51 pm

g-boaf wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:46 pm
familyguy wrote:
What, a big truck? :o That's inconsiderate - but those people complaining will probably called out about it.
No, one of the little local delivery trucks. Still, at 7pm for nearly half an hour, even I'd had enough!

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:54 pm

familyguy wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:51 pm
g-boaf wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:46 pm
familyguy wrote:
No, one of the little local delivery trucks. Still, at 7pm for nearly half an hour, even I'd had enough!
You should have our local Lamborghini Aventador with the straight pipes going backwards and forwards every 30-45 minutes. Then you'll know noise. :evil: That thing must be way more than the legal limit. It's so loud it's like your standing right beside it, even a big distance away. Almost certainly illegal. Mind you it seems to have disappeared so maybe someone reported it and the thing got put off the road.

Likewise we had a Mazda rotory that used to go back and forwards 8-10 times per day making huge amounts of noise and driving flat out. Police ended up catching that one and it has never been seen again. That was 8 months of that guy being a nuisance (and a danger to everyone else).

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri May 03, 2024 10:18 am

Horrible:

https://www.news.com.au/national/queens ... 19c852882c

That seems like a suicide. :( unfortunately innocent people got caught up in it.

elantra

Postby elantra » Fri May 03, 2024 4:14 pm

g-boaf wrote:
Fri May 03, 2024 10:18 am
Horrible:

https://www.news.com.au/national/queens ... 19c852882c

That seems like a suicide. :( unfortunately innocent people got caught up in it.
Yes that article paints a bleak picture of human suffering, frailty and imperfection.

What a shocking scenario and a tragic loss of life.

In my opinion, disasters like this certainly show the need for modern motor cars to have effective inbuilt speed-limiting technology.

And perhaps this disaster also shows that ex-police officers need greater psychological support services

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri May 03, 2024 4:43 pm

Even 100km/h can do damage, they’d just drive head on into someone else. :(

Andy01

Postby Andy01 » Sat May 04, 2024 9:44 am

I am surprised that an Audi like that didn't have AEB which should have tried to stop the collision - maybe it was older than it looks ?

If it was suicide (which it certainly looks like), it would have to be unusual to do it by hitting a smaller car from behind. Surely the success rate (and greatly reduced collateral damage) would be higher going head-on with a big truck or other large fixed object (concrete bridge pylon, tunnel entrance, large tree, concrete utilities pole etc) - or somewhere with a significant drop/cliff ?

I have certainly heard of people committing suicide in cars but it is often a single vehicle accident with no other collateral damage. Very sad.

vbplease

Postby vbplease » Mon May 06, 2024 11:52 am

I must have been overdue for getting hit by another car.. this morning makes it #4 in about 2years.

I was cruising along one of the bayside esplanades where a car was travelling very slow.. I assumed they were trying to pull into a park on their left, so I upped my speed and overtook them.. as I was getting level with their back wheel (I was in the middle of well the right lane) they decide to do a no look u-turn.. I slam into the side of their car and hit the road..

No serious damage other than cuts on the hand and chin.. will get the bike looked over at the bike shop. This time I did way more damage to the car than my bike.. will take some good panel beating to fix the car

They were good enough to accept responsibility and drive me home 8)

redsonic

Postby redsonic » Mon May 06, 2024 12:43 pm

vbplease wrote:
Mon May 06, 2024 11:52 am
I must have been overdue for getting hit by another car.. this morning makes it #4 in about 2years.

I was cruising along one of the bayside esplanades where a car was travelling very slow.. I assumed they were trying to pull into a park on their left, so I upped my speed and overtook them.. as I was getting level with their back wheel (I was in the middle of well the right lane) they decide to do a no look u-turn.. I slam into the side of their car and hit the road..

No serious damage other than cuts on the hand and chin.. will get the bike looked over at the bike shop. This time I did way more damage to the car than my bike.. will take some good panel beating to fix the car

So sorry this happened to you. Were you running your camera this time? Sometimes people change their minds about accepting responsibility once they go home and think about it (or talk to their insurer/get a quote).
Don't forget to include a replacement helmet in the repair quote if it hit the ground.

vbplease

Postby vbplease » Mon May 06, 2024 1:13 pm

redsonic wrote:
Mon May 06, 2024 12:43 pm
So sorry this happened to you. Were you running your camera this time? Sometimes people change their minds about accepting responsibility once they go home and think about it (or talk to their insurer/get a quote).
Don't forget to include a replacement helmet in the repair quote if it hit the ground.
I unfortunately wasn’t running my cameras this morning.. 90% of my rides are on the local bike path.. and run the cameras on the rare chance I go on the road. Trouble is, I like to include my bike path rides with about 2km of road to get my dose of water views at Shorncliffe.. that’ll prob change now.

Yes, well see if she changes her tune when she has to pay for her insurance excess

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Mon May 06, 2024 4:00 pm

vbplease wrote:
Mon May 06, 2024 11:52 am

Glad to hear you suffered no serious damage - the outcome could have been much worse
Anything you can do, I can do slower

Mr Purple

Postby Mr Purple » Mon May 06, 2024 4:57 pm

Bugger! Nice of the motorist to be reasonable, though as above watch out if they change their mind afterwards.

I've noticed the whole 'give way to everyone while doing a u-turn' isn't really that well respected these days. Same thing has almost happened to me a couple of times, both riding and driving.

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Mon May 06, 2024 5:18 pm

Witnessed a collision exactly like this a few years ago (two cars though). MM pulled left, then without a pause (or indicators) hooked straight into a U-turn, to be promptly T-boned by the following car that was left with no escape route. Fortunately no injuries, but the kids in the back of the hitting car were pretty distressed.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

redsonic

Postby redsonic » Mon May 06, 2024 5:44 pm

Duck! wrote:
Mon May 06, 2024 5:18 pm
Witnessed a collision exactly like this a few years ago (two cars though). MM pulled left, then without a pause (or indicators) hooked straight into a U-turn, to be promptly T-boned by the following car that was left with no escape route. Fortunately no injuries, but the kids in the back of the hitting car were pretty distressed.
This happened to me when in my teens. Driver was crawling along in the gutter with his left indicator on, then pulled a U-turn as I was passing in my car. Guy admitted responsibility at the scene, but then told the cops that he was turning right and I overtook him. Problem was, there was no side street or driveway he could have turned in to at the location of the crash. Took a lot of hassle to get the insurance to pay up, got there in the end.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon May 06, 2024 10:54 pm

Just when you thought it was safe:

https://youtu.be/X_yoLHwNSRU?si=IbH3VxZvbmG5eZa-

2:03, the motorbike slams into the car.

The one at 4:00 is bad, hardly any slowdown, slams straight into the stopped car.

6:58: C63 driver why am I not surprised, they seem to attract a particular special kind of moron driver. Comments say driver did a runner - on foot after realising the car was stuffed. Left the passenger to sort it out. :|

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Tue May 07, 2024 11:08 am

g-boaf wrote:
Mon May 06, 2024 10:54 pm

The one at 4:00 is bad, hardly any slowdown, slams straight into the stopped car.
I'd go so far as to say there was zero slow down in that one. That's a big hit.

The slight rain brings out the best/worst in people. Driving home last night was even more fraught that riding due to risk-takers wanting to be home before it got really wet.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Tue May 07, 2024 11:59 am

familyguy wrote:
Tue May 07, 2024 11:08 am
g-boaf wrote:
Mon May 06, 2024 10:54 pm

I'd go so far as to say there was zero slow down in that one. That's a big hit.

The slight rain brings out the best/worst in people. Driving home last night was even more fraught that riding due to risk-takers wanting to be home before it got really wet.
It looked like the Prospect exit of M4 motorway going east. I can only guess the driver was looking at phone or something else instead of what is ahead.

The rain definitely brings out the "dorifto" types, even when they are just in floppy diesel crew cab utes. :roll: Hear them going and wait for the crunching sound when they crash into something.

Retrobyte

Postby Retrobyte » Wed May 08, 2024 7:48 am

P plates, SUV, and MGIF - what's not to love about this?

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed May 08, 2024 8:04 am

Retrobyte wrote:
Wed May 08, 2024 7:48 am

That's a SMIDGAF I think.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed May 08, 2024 9:03 am

Retrobyte wrote:

is that a stop sign they ran too?

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Wed May 08, 2024 9:04 am

Retrobyte wrote:

I like your commentary on these clips Retro. You say similar to what I would. :)
I'd probably have muttered a character assessment there too.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed May 08, 2024 10:02 am

jasonc wrote:
Wed May 08, 2024 9:03 am
Retrobyte wrote:
George Street Parramatta so street view on Google would show it. The sign is "no right turn".

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed May 08, 2024 10:08 am

g-boaf wrote:
Wed May 08, 2024 10:02 am
jasonc wrote:
Retrobyte wrote:
George Street Parramatta so street view on Google would show it. The sign is "no right turn".
corner of horwood pl and george st. there is a stop sign

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed May 08, 2024 10:11 am

jasonc wrote:
Wed May 08, 2024 10:08 am
g-boaf wrote:
Wed May 08, 2024 10:02 am
jasonc wrote:

corner of horwood pl and george st. there is a stop sign
But go back into Horwood place and it is gone. I'll have a look when I next go into Parramatta and see what is there now because what Street View shows and what is in reality changes quickly (Parramatta is a construction zone).