The day started with triumph...

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:20 pm

So this is the Cell Triumph with Di2 Ultegra, half way through its maiden voyage...
Purchased just this morning. It was a reward for spending $6K less on my recent Xtrail upgrade.

Had also bought my GLW a reward too a few weeks ago... a Cell SS101 with Alfine 8 hub
And she came with on the trip...

Unfortunately, about 4 km from home (out of 30 km total), she lost concentration after turning
a corner near Berala Station and stacked into the back of a ute tray. We had travelled that route on her new bike just over a week ago,
so it's pretty hard to explain it - except we rode an extra 5 km, and she probably didn't drink enough along the way.
Fortunately we weren't travelling too fast - about 15 kph. And no cars came around the corner until I'd
struggled out of my new Ultegra pedals and cleats and got off the road.

Damage is pretty minor for me - just scrapes and bruises, on both the bike and I and a trashed pair of long knicks.

GLW banged her head pretty hard...
She would not let me go fetch the car to get her home - and insisted I stay with her. She was complaining of a sore back, but wanted to ride home.

I didn't notice the helmet damage, and she only admitted after she rode home that she was seeing stars for about 10 minutes.

Still wouldn't let me take her to the docs for a check-up. Sons and daughters have tried to persuade her but have
inherited my lack of success genes for this.. We'll just have to keep an eye out for delayed concussion.

Don't want anyone to start an anti-helmet debate anywhere near me for the next few months.
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

KonaCommuter

Re: The day started with triumph...

Postby KonaCommuter » Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:19 pm

But are the bikes OK?

Seriously though - happy to hear that you both are OK and that the helmet did it’s job (not wanting to get into a MHL debate though)
2012 Oppy A4

bradman

Postby bradman » Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:45 pm

Hope she's okay mate. Where were the pics taken?

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:49 pm

KonaCommuter wrote:But are the bikes OK?
+1. What about the bikes?

BTW, please inform your wife she's an idiot (in the nicest possible way) for not getting her head checked. If you hit your head hard enough to see stars, that's way too hard. You really don't want to go to bed and not wake up for months, or at all.

Agree about the helmet thing. It's not there to protect you against cars, it's there to protect you against the ground. A martial arts mate of mine said that they have more injuries from heads hitting the mats than they do from feet or fists hitting heads.

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:51 pm

bradman wrote:Hope she's okay mate. Where were the pics taken?
That's the Armoury near SOP. Just outside the cafe, near the river.

Christine Tham

Postby Christine Tham » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:00 pm

ouch!

Hope you manage to persuade her to get a checkup.

And hope the experience will not deter her from future riding.
Weekdays: "Bliss" (Trek Madone 5.2 2012) | Weekends: "Cadel" (self built) | Casual: "Kitty" (Giant Cypress LDS 2009)

Marto

Postby Marto » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:17 pm

Injury, shminjury - how does your new bike ride?

Seriously, I would get that head knock checked, or at least keep an eye on her. If a head knock happened like that in the AFL, they would be given a good thorough check over, and not take further part in the game.

Promise another nice ride together if she agrees to getting her knock checked.

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:18 pm

bigfriendlyvegan wrote:
bradman wrote:Hope she's okay mate. Where were the pics taken?
That's the Armoury near SOP. Just outside the cafe, near the river.
Exactly right. Daughter #2 has convinced her to see the doc - so just waiting to see what he makes of it.
BTW, please inform your wife she's an idiot (in the nicest possible way)
After 34 years of marriage, how many times do reckon I've managed that :D
About the nicest way I can put it is that she's one stubborn bullock. I'm all ears
if you've got a better way.

In this case, I've got 4 (adult) kids who'll give her rounds of the kitchen, but on past
form it's not going to change behavior.
christine tham wrote: And hope the experience will not deter her from future riding.
Probably not - the ride was her suggestion, and she's worried I won't take her
again. I reminded her of my form: my only other stack was an OTB when a workmate
fell in front of me some years ago. I still ride with him every week.

That other stack was on a Cell Blade - another black bike. Black bike, black cats -
is there a link ?

Just to allay those heartfelt concerns for the bikes, they're resting peacefully in the
garage - and will get a more thorough check tomorrow. They got us home, so there
couldn't be too much wrong with them.

Thanks for the good wishes to all
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:36 pm

Marto wrote:Injury, shminjury - how does your new bike ride?
Wasn't a real hard hit out. GLW is a very fit swimmer (1 hour+ a day),
but not so strong on a bike - so we were cruising along at 18 kph
average for the ride.

I really enjoyed the ease of shifting with the Di2 - especially the ease
of changing the RD under load. I can only add to the chorus of positives
in the Electronic Shifting thread

It definitely crashes really well without crumbling :)

Will post a more thorough review once I've given it
a more serious work-out.

Doc's report now in - doesn't think anything is broken, but will get a precautionary x-ray of her
sore tail-bone tomorrow. Also couldn't find any ill-effects from the concussion, but has told us
not to waste time getting to ER if any nausea or dizziness develops. Good news to finish the
day with.

Cheers
WombatK

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:25 pm

Great to hear you are both ok. The great contradiction about head knocks is that they can upset your judgement.

I will keep an eye on this thread to see if anyone knows how to tell your wife she's an idiot.
Anything you can do, I can do slower

hosko

Postby hosko » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:39 pm

Damage to helmet like that warrants a trip to the doc. End of story.
2013 Malvern Star Oppy Di2

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:42 pm

wombatK wrote:
BTW, please inform your wife she's an idiot (in the nicest possible way)
After 34 years of marriage, how many times do reckon I've managed that :D
About the nicest way I can put it is that she's one stubborn bullock. I'm all ears
We've got 4 young kids and really don't want to have to deal with them alone, so anything like that will get checked out, even if we're just wasting the doctors time. I pay a crap load of medicare and private insurance and I'm damn well going to use it.

You need some grandkids to guilt her with. They made my dad give up smoking. He wouldn't do it for us, but he did it for the grandkids. He has now even bought a bike!

If you want some cute little kids to use, please take mine. Please.

Good to hear she's OK. Make sure you keep an eye on her and watch out for neck stiffness over the next few days. Since you're head is on top of your body, it will hit the ground hardest when you fall. Vertebrae don't like this. I have raced with a guy who has fractured his cervical vertebrae in a bike crash.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:03 pm

I was nearby at Bicentenial Park on Sunday with the kids as well. Agree on the doctors visits...
Cycling is in my BNA

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:58 am

Xray results now in - sacral fracture, 6 to 8 weeks to heal. Zero bicycling allowed :(

At least she's has some good company

Was hoping for better, but of course, the stack could easily have had much worse outcomes.

In my case, I had lots of trouble getting my right foot out of the pedal - partly due to bikes being tangled,
but also due to the cleats not being properly tightened in my excitement with new purchase and ride.
Luckily, no cars came around the corner while I was struggling to get to my feet.

So there's some learning there - make sure cleat bolts are tightened real good. Shimano recommend
5 to 6 NM for their SPD-SL shoes.
WombatK

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:38 pm

So your wife is out of the TdF as well?

Glad she went to the doctor and got checked out. Please tell her that the internet said "Ha!!! We were right".

burger

Postby burger » Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:26 pm

bigfriendlyvegan wrote:So your wife is out of the TdF as well?

Glad she went to the doctor and got checked out. Please tell her that the internet said "Ha!!! We were right".
:lol: :lol: :lol:
The world is round, so what seems like the end may actually be the beginning.

birdbrain

Postby birdbrain » Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:47 pm

After 34 years of marriage, how many times do reckon I've managed that
34 years of marriage is a triumph in it'self :wink:

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:38 pm

birdbrain wrote: 34 years of marriage is a triumph in it'self :wink:
I was about to agree with you, but tonight I'm getting nagged to go see the doc
because my knee graze is still weeping. Of course, I'm not taking my own medicine :)
WombatK

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:11 pm

Glad it worked out with the head, but sorry to hear about the busted tailbone.

I had a dose of concussion when I binned the bike a few months ago to avoid running over a mate who was going over the bars in front of me ... except the wally managed to save it and not go over the bars! :x :evil: :wink: :lol:

A bit of reading on the net suggested nurofen, with the same warnings about going straight to emergency if any other symptoms developed. They didn't. The nurofen worked pretty well actually - settled it pretty quick. I only discovered recently that I cracked the lid. Erm... Duh! :oops:

I had a headache after the hit and towelled the ride as I figured it was unwise to continue.

I too would like ot know if you work out how to tell our wife she's an idiot :lol:

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:02 am

trailgumby wrote: I had a dose of concussion when I binned the bike a few months ago to avoid running over a mate who was going over the bars in front of me ... except the wally managed to save it and not go over the bars! :x :evil: :wink: :lol:
Oooh, no justice at all there - that's got to hurt double :D
WombatK

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:03 pm

The story has a happy ending. Wife has managed an easy 17 km bike ride, mainly around Criterium track at Dunc Gray, without any ill-effects. Has been swimming for a couple of weeks.

Doc had checked her out on friday, reckoned it was all good and (sensibly) talked her out of her request for an x-ray check.

She got a bit upset/emotional with a flashback when I drove past the accident scene a week ago (without thinking it might do that to her). So I was surprised when she volunteered the idea of a ride yesterday.

Receptionist at work was telling me she still has trouble 2 years after breaking her coccyx and she's about 30 years younger, so I'm pretty pleased with the wife's recovery.

Oh yeah, and really really pleased with the Triumph di2 :)

Cheers
WombatK

greyhoundtom

Postby greyhoundtom » Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:46 am

wombatK wrote:The story has a happy ending. Wife has managed an easy 17 km bike ride, mainly around Criterium track at Dunc Gray, without any ill-effects. Has been swimming for a couple of weeks.

Doc had checked her out on friday, reckoned it was all good and (sensibly) talked her out of her request for an x-ray check.

She got a bit upset/emotional with a flashback when I drove past the accident scene a week ago (without thinking it might do that to her). So I was surprised when she volunteered the idea of a ride yesterday.

Receptionist at work was telling me she still has trouble 2 years after breaking her coccyx and she's about 30 years younger, so I'm pretty pleased with the wife's recovery.

Oh yeah, and really really pleased with the Triumph di2 :)

Cheers
Great to read that she is recovering and getting her confidence back. :D

A bike with Di2 is currently on my wish list........but the way things a going it could be a while :(

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:59 pm

wombatK wrote:The story has a happy ending ....really really pleased with the Triumph di2 :)

Cheers
Read between the lines... Rule 11. :lol:

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:36 pm

For a moment I thought he meant one of these: