Hub Dynamos in Australia

queequeg

Re: Hub Dynamos in Australia

Postby queequeg » Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:38 pm

baabaa wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:24 am
Ah understand now. Yes the urban design thing. I think my B&M notes 300% brighter than German laws or requirements?
Why not just go the good average flood with a solid long life dyno light that stays on the bike and then a really good clip on when you need it, battery light that will give you that punch on the nights you need it. Not that much extra weight or volume and maybe even carry a power bank? Can go bike to bike as well. Maybe just use your Ayups( I do this with a too bright for me most of the time aldi rechargeable) For me the whole dyno light thing is that they are always on the bike plus the day light running. Not so sure anyone needs high put out lights for day time running.
Who knows lights seem to change every year to bigger, brighter, but are they really any better? I should try some riding glasses with a slight amber tint
Yes, one option is to do exactly that and strap a battery light on the bike as well that I can flick on in situations where it is needed. The problem is it then defeats the entire purpose of having the dyno light. The K-Lite Dyno Lights have both narrow road beam and flood light which I think are triggered by the speed you ride at. I'll have to do some more research before I go making more changes!
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:55 pm

Let me know what you find out.

The B&M IQ-X seems a nice package

gsxrboy

Postby gsxrboy » Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:15 pm

My commuter wheel was laced up with the SP dynamo on Thursday and I picked it up on Saturday. Installed the Klite (road/gravel version) with a GoPro mount on a out front mount as a demo. Gave it a spin on Saturday night to set the angle etc and very happy with the result. As mentioned earlier, previously used a Cateye 700 on low (approx 100l) so this is a large difference :-P

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:34 pm

gsxrboy wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:15 pm
My commuter wheel was laced up with the SP dynamo on Thursday and I picked it up on Saturday. Installed the Klite (road/gravel version) with a GoPro mount on a out front mount as a demo. Gave it a spin on Saturday night to set the angle etc and very happy with the result. As mentioned earlier, previously used a Cateye 700 on low (approx 100l) so this is a large difference :-P
What sort of visibility do you get with it? Would you be comfortable descending a hill at 60km/h in the pitch black?
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:11 pm

queequeg wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:34 pm

What sort of visibility do you get with it? Would you be comfortable descending a hill at 60km/h in the pitch black?
I've been toying with changing the Supernova E3 Triple that I have (for reasons mentioned earlier), and found that the B&M IQ-X seems to the the next best thingf in terms of high lux and reasonable price.

A$190 locally, but even with steep shipping of Euro 20 from somewhere like Bike24, it's still a full $55 cheaper ! Would love to buy Aussie, but hell, that's a decent saving.

:?

baabaa

Postby baabaa » Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:12 pm

whispering.....
suggest the -44% at....
hi bikes....https://www.hibike.com/busch-muller-lum ... 8659f1e95c
Seems other b&m are on sale as well
Really, to expect that any hub and light dyno should be up to the expectations of what queequeg has done on a bike in terms of distance and speed over the last decade is pushing it. These b&m lights more than cater for 98.576853% of the whole world bike riding community.
If you are on the far, far right of the bell curve I just don't think even dynos hubs are designed for the extremes. Thus, add in supplementary lighting on the rare times when you think you may need it.
Maybe one day chris king will come out with full on race bike dyno hub that is tuned to work best at above 30kph but I would guess the demand would be mild.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:21 pm

At Bike24, the B&M is only Euro 69 !!

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:16 am

baabaa wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:12 pm
whispering.....
suggest the -44% at....
hi bikes....https://www.hibike.com/busch-muller-lum ... 8659f1e95c
Seems other b&m are on sale as well
Really, to expect that any hub and light dyno should be up to the expectations of what queequeg has done on a bike in terms of distance and speed over the last decade is pushing it. These b&m lights more than cater for 98.576853% of the whole world bike riding community.
If you are on the far, far right of the bell curve I just don't think even dynos hubs are designed for the extremes. Thus, add in supplementary lighting on the rare times when you think you may need it.
Maybe one day chris king will come out with full on race bike dyno hub that is tuned to work best at above 30kph but I would guess the demand would be mild.
The B&M Light actually looks pretty good. Just keep in mind, the light I have now was never designed for off-road riding in pitch black. That's why they have the E3 Triple 2 version of it, which does project the light elsewhere. Likewise, there are other lights such as the Sinewave Beacon, the Exposure Revo and the various K-Lite Bikepacking lights that all have beams designed for "racing".
I know that the E3 Triple 2 is used by a number of Ultra-Endurance riders, and I am still leaning this way because I also have the Tail Light to consider. The Supernova rear light will only work with the Supernova front light.

So my options are:-
1) change my E3 Pro 2 to an E3 Triple 2. No other changes needed
2) Change the front light to a K-Lite light (Bikepacker Gravel/Road Combo) - also then have to change the rear lights
3) Change to the B&M Front Light, but then also have to change the Rear Light to a B&M. They don't have anything like the E3 Tail light though, which means no searpost mount (they go on the seatstays or the mudguards). I am still debating whether to fit the guards to my bike, or whethe the "get dirty" philosphy should just apply

baabaa

Postby baabaa » Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:42 am

MichaelB wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:21 pm
At Bike24, the B&M is only Euro 69 !!
Oh, um, ah. So hard to keep up.

FWIW my B&m came from https://www.actionsports.de/en/ Had them build up a dyno wheelset for my touring bike. Solid build with good parts that would have been way beyond my budget if bought and made up in Aust, but have been faultless and very happy with the care and attention. Gave them my ideal specs and they came back with options such as nipples and spokes. I think they give a name to each and every spoke in the wheels. ( I should try and improve my German to be able talk to them)

Also seems for some reason the USD keeps finding support and is way above what it should be, cannot see the aud clawing back against the euro in the short term So good have a currency that is the bouncing ball play thing of the exchange traders. Poor aust retailers they really need customers now, but...

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:59 am

queequeg wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:16 am
...The Supernova rear light will only work with the Supernova front light.
Didn't know that. Hmmm.

The B&M tail lights certainly aren't small and compact, but hey, guess what I just googled !!

B&M µ Tail light !!

Now that would be a nice pairing with the IQ-X front light ! Even at Bike24 for Euro 30 !

Hmmmmm :D

baabaa

Postby baabaa » Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:02 am

Yeah bit above me on the tech of front lights.
Have you contacted Robert Hoehne? He is the electronic guru (ex sydcyclist).
Re tail lights I try to keep my wires high and away from tree snags so follow the top tube and went a simple B&M seat post model so I can take it on and off when needed.
Muddies, yes can be tricky?
yes on my cx bike ( still using long boards for the long front) but no on my ritchey ascent as find I prefer the option to go wider and really being a breakaway bike they just make boxing/ packing up a pain with the use of extra space so have gone without.
Still think they are a must-do but looking for durable clip ons that can stop the mud into the drivertain. Aust mud form dirt roads is generally pretty sandy so it can grind away but at least washes off with ease and even better, we dont need to salt our roads.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:10 am

queequeg wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:16 am

The B&M Light actually looks pretty good. Just keep in mind, the light I have now was never designed for off-road riding in pitch black. That's why they have the E3 Triple 2 version of it, which does project the light elsewhere. Likewise, there are other lights such as the Sinewave Beacon, the Exposure Revo and the various K-Lite Bikepacking lights that all have beams designed for "racing".
I know that the E3 Triple 2 is used by a number of Ultra-Endurance riders, and I am still leaning this way because I also have the Tail Light to consider. The Supernova rear light will only work with the Supernova front light.

1) change my E3 Pro 2 to an E3 Triple 2. No other changes needed
2) Change the front light to a K-Lite light (Bikepacker Gravel/Road Combo) - also then have to change the rear lights
3) Change to the B&M Front Light, but then also have to change the Rear Light to a B&M. They don't have anything like the E3 Tail light though, which means no searpost mount (they go on the seatstays or the mudguards). I am still debating whether to fit the guards to my bike, or whethe the "get dirty" philosphy should just apply
If a dynohub taillight that attaches to the seat post is a must, have you seen the Son version :?: :idea:
https://nabendynamo.de/en/products/rear-lights/

Its not a recommendation as such, but merely offering up a dyno alternative that is seat post mounted and boasts a 5 year warranty which is what I based my dynamo hub and Edelux headlight purchase on.

I'm certainly not recommending the Edelux for your usage. :)

If my Mk1 version of the Edelux is anything to go by, after around 9 years of ownership and still going great, I doubt they think there will be too many warranty claims.
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:21 am

rifraf wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:10 am

If a dynohub taillight that attaches to the seat post is a must, have you seen the Son version :?: :idea:

Their Edelux II headlight seems to be quite comparable to the B&M, but the price is considerably higher , with the matching F&R lights being a smidge over double. Good looking units though !

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:36 am

MichaelB wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:21 am
rifraf wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:10 am

Their Edelux II headlight seems to be quite comparable to the B&M, but the price is considerably higher , with the matching F&R lights being a smidge over double. Good looking units though !
I bought mine back when the $Au was worth more than the $US so the wallet didn't hurt like it would today.
Whilst back then there were few lights that ticked enough boxes for me, the Edelux certainly was an aesthetic I appreciated and still do.
Back then Schmidt/Son group was the only branding I was aware of that offered a 5 year warranty which was a big contributing factor in my purchase decision as I figured it didn't make a lot of sense (to me) to buy for half price but only to get one fifth of the Schmidt/Son warranty.

They didn't produce a tail-light back then, so I opted for a dynamo Phillips Saferide Lumiring that nicely mounted on my rear rack.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-Saferi ... B005LEXEG2

It turned out to be another satisfactory purchase, having been reliable without issue for some years now.
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.