Peugeot Appreciation Society

10speedsemiracer

Re: Peugeot Appreciation Society

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:13 pm

Ha, love it.

Looks like a lovely build Richard,

I've built up three of these PE10DW's, and I really like them a lot. The Mangalloy frame rides very nicely and all the threading etc is normal (i.e. not French).

Two got restomodded with new wheelsets, one to Ultegra 6600 and the other to 105 while the third got slightly upgraded to RSX 7sp. They all came up beautifully and are now with their new owners. Don't know why but the RSX 7sp rode the best of all of them.

Nice job. As always, love your work.
Campagnolo for show, SunTour for go

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:11 pm

The catalogue page for Australia, 1988-1989.

With your colour scheme and decals being just slightly different, I'd think yours was an 89-90 model.

uart

Postby uart » Sat Feb 27, 2021 4:24 pm

WyvernRH wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 6:00 pm
The frame is Peugeot HLE tubing which is quite nice stuff once you got rid of the boat anchor iron forks.
Yes, some people like to "bag" the old HLE "mangalloy" tubing as gas pipe, but I've got a similar old Peugeot and it's well made and a trustworthy ride. Nothing amazingly light weight or anything, but definitely a cut above the plain carbon 1020 steel or similar of the time.

Some years a I bought a Peugeot Mont Blanc from a guy up at Patterson (which I think is your way) for $10. It would have been a curbside pick up I imagine (the guy had a whole shed of stuff the looked like tip or curbside finds), but it cleaned up ok and is still being ridden today.

Just realised I don't have a picture of it on my hard drive. Anyway it's looks a lot like this one (but a little bit rougher condition than this one).

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Sat Feb 27, 2021 5:35 pm

Noice

WyvernRH

Postby WyvernRH » Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:48 pm

uart wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 4:24 pm
WyvernRH wrote:
Some years a I bought a Peugeot Mont Blanc from a guy up at Patterson
Yes, looking at the Oz catalog that tenspeedracer referenced, I think I inadvertently upgraded my Aubisque to a Mont Blanc spec by swapping the boat anchor fork for something decent and upgrading the deraillers :)
The bike goes very well. I was intrigued to notice the model above the Mont Blanc has Reynolds 501 tubing instead of HLE which while nice... wasn't really anything special... A good marketing move maybe... :P

Richard

MarkinOz

Postby MarkinOz » Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:11 am

Took a while trawling through the Peugeot Catalogues available online but managed to “nail down” this example as an ‘83 PFN10. Really happy with how this bike rides but will complete a full restoration at some point.

The majority of the bike is original as it was sold in 1983 with the Vitus 181 frame and chrome fork in great condition. Original Simplex FD with Stronglight Crankarm set, Mavic Drillum levers, Weinmann 500 side pull brakes, Lightrace Luxe Headset and Selle Royal Sprint saddle.

The Maillard hubs are dated from early 1989 and laced to Rigida SX100 rims, and the Belleri St.Etienne bars look awesome.

The RD has been changed to a Shimano 600 SIS, with a Shimano BB and a Regina Extra 13-21 freewheel.

uart

Postby uart » Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:26 pm

Can anyone tell me anything about this old Peugeot Sport that I recently acquired? Seems like a pretty basic model, about 12.3 kg as pictured (complete except for levers), but that is with steel bars and post and some heavy touring tyres/tubes. The bike had flat bars when I got it and I'm just in the process of going through my parts bin for suitable drop bar conversion. The stem/bars pictured were just for the photo and may not be my final choice, I guess it will end up about 12 kg ready to ride when I'm through.

Does anyone know anything about this Peugeot model?

Imwit

Postby Imwit » Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:37 pm

Was it a mountain bike?
(Just a thought from looking at the gears really)

uart

Postby uart » Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:13 pm

Imwit wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:37 pm
Was it a mountain bike?
(Just a thought from looking at the gears really)
No the cranks and gearing are all retro fitted. The previous owner had converted it to a flat bar tourer. I'm almost 100% it would have been 700c (or 27 inch), and I think most likely a low end road bike.

Just hoping that someone here has some more info as Peugeot had so many models and I'm not sure where this one fits. It's not lugged, so I assume that puts it late 80's or later.

uart

Postby uart » Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:44 pm

WyvernRH wrote:
... this Peugeot 'Aubisque' found in the local roadside hard rubbish.
It was really dirty and various bits were missing but on investigation (and a good wash) it came to me that this would be a prime candidate for the 'work bike' role. It had a full Exage six-speed groupset which was a nice in it's day which I think was circa 1990.
Main item to go were the forks which had a stuffed dropout. They were crappy Peugeot 'fold and weld' forks so no loss there. I subbed in a pair of Tange forks from the spare box.
Richard
Hi Richard. This is the underside of the fork on my "new" Peugeot Sport. Is this the 'fold and weld' thing you're talking about? Perhaps this 'Peugeot Sport' is somewhat similar to the 'Aubisque' (but easier to pronounce)?

elantra

Postby elantra » Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:55 pm

uart wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:44 pm
WyvernRH wrote:
... this Peugeot 'Aubisque' found in the local roadside hard rubbish.
It was really dirty and various bits were missing but on investigation (and a good wash) it came to me that this would be a prime candidate for the 'work bike' role. It had a full Exage six-speed groupset which was a nice in it's day which I think was circa 1990.
Main item to go were the forks which had a stuffed dropout. They were crappy Peugeot 'fold and weld' forks so no loss there. I subbed in a pair of Tange forks from the spare box.
Richard
Hi Richard. This is the underside of the fork on my "new" Peugeot Sport. Is this the 'fold and weld' thing you're talking about? Perhaps this 'Peugeot Sport' is somewhat similar to the 'Aubisque' (but easier to pronounce)?

My understanding is - that is not a “fold and weld” fork. That looks (to me) like more traditional and respected fork technology- fork arms brazed into a manufactured fork crown component. Which is a bit interesting considering that your frame appears to be the “newer tech” but perhaps “cheaper tech” welded tubes (without lugs).
I suspect that fold and weld forks are not fundamentally inferior to brazed forks, but they get a bad rap because they owe their evolution to cost-saving imperatives, and the welds look a bit agricultural.
By the way, the recessed brake mounting bolt nut more or less dates the frame to being late 1980’s or 1990’s.

WyvernRH

Postby WyvernRH » Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:30 am

elantra wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:55 pm
uart wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:44 pm

My understanding is - that is not a “fold and weld” fork. That looks (to me) like more traditional and respected fork technology- fork arms brazed into a manufactured fork crown component. Which is a bit interesting considering that your frame appears to be the “newer tech” but perhaps “cheaper tech” welded tubes (without lugs).
I suspect that fold and weld forks are not fundamentally inferior to brazed forks, but they get a bad rap because they owe their evolution to cost-saving imperatives, and the welds look a bit agricultural.
By the way, the recessed brake mounting bolt nut more or less dates the frame to being late 1980’s or 1990’s.
I have to respectfully disagree here. You are right in saying that the fork crown is a traditional pressed steel item as used by almost everybody, the fork blades brazed into it are not. Notice the seam up the back of the fork. As I understand it these fork blades are made from stamped out flat plate folded into shape and then welded up the join at the rear of the fork (thus the seam). I have only run into these on Peugeots so I've assumed they were proprietary to that company but maybe not? Nothing really wrong with them structurally that I've heard about but.... they weigh a ton and ride like cast iron....

Also Peugeot had there own tube joining system of internal lugs, giving the effect of a lugless frame. Not sure when they started doing this style of mass production but maybe early 1980's and onward? They also tended to use the same frame (often MLE tubing) across several model levels varying only the quality of equipment (gears, bars) and fittings (ie forks).

Totally agree that the recessed front brake bolt dates the bike to late 80's onward. Does the rear brake use a recessed fitting as well?
Interestingly my Peugeout Aubisque, nominally dated circa 1990-ish, came with a full Exage groupset stamped ##-A350 on the back of all the components (## being RD, BR or whatever). Velobase dates these to late 80's so 1990 for the bike is probably close given delivery and production schedules but the point here being the Exage sidepull brakes are the older bolt/nut type, not recessed. Maybe this red 'Sport' bike is further up the timeline, say mid 90's - 2000?

The fact this bike has this style of fork definitely puts it in the entry level of the road bike range in its time period. Me, I'd toss the forks and put in a decent-ish replacement set, it will improve the ride and save some weight! However if they work OK for you they will probably last forever.

Richard

Richard

uart

Postby uart » Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:14 pm

WyvernRH wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:30 am
Notice the seam up the back of the fork.
Ok yeah I see it now. I initially thought you were talking about the crown construction, but now that I take another look the rear seam is very apparent and runs from the dropouts to the crown. I don't have any other suitable forks on hand at the moment so it will have to do for now, but I might keep an eye out for something better.
Also Peugeot had there own tube joining system of internal lugs, giving the effect of a lugless frame.
Yes, it's Peugeot's "internally brazed construction" and the frame looks quite well made. It's survived 25+ years and all the tubes and joints still look in perfect condition, so they had to have something going for them.
Totally agree that the recessed front brake bolt dates the bike to late 80's onward. Does the rear brake use a recessed fitting as well?
Yes, back brake attachment is also the recessed type. Also, the rear brake cable is internally routed through the top tube.
The fact this bike has this style of fork definitely puts it in the entry level of the road bike range in its time period.
Yes, and one thing that entry level bikes of that period generally had was tons of clearance for decent sized tyres, and this bike is no different. Had 32c tyres on it, but will easily take a bit larger. I tried a 622-40 on it last night and it fit without rubbing anywhere, though was probably a just a shade less clearance than ideal. I'd say 38c would be ok and 35c a doddle.

Old frames like this are really easy to adapt as "gas pipe gravel" or "gas pipe tourer" bikes.
Last edited by uart on Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:33 pm, edited 4 times in total.

uart

Postby uart » Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:16 pm

Oh forgot to add, the only serial I've found so far is on the BB, and it reads "Y009 30066"

Does that give any other clues?

WyvernRH

Postby WyvernRH » Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:18 pm

It is rumoured that Peugeot frame numbers from this period can be read as
Letter code (Y)
Year - 1st number (0)
Month - 2 numbers (09)
Sequence No - the remainder (30066)

Which sort of makes sense in your case as it could Sept 1990 or more likely Sept 2000. However there is so much rubbish talked about Pug frame numbers across the web I'm really not sure who to believe. I wrote down and promptly lost my bikes frame number and the bike is now at work but I'll check it out when I next go into the office.
Are there any of the original components? They might be date stamped.

Richard

flat4pilot

Postby flat4pilot » Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:54 am

hey guys and gals,
i have an old peugeot bike. It has the mafac centre pull brakes. I am looking for the headset bracket that the cable runs through. Any idea where one could buy one?
Many thanks.

stevenaaus

Postby stevenaaus » Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:47 pm

Yeah, I had a hurricane mtb with that bracket.. Nice feature, but not many around. I think I switched to a v brake (kept the centre pull back though) and just ran a cable. Worked way better too iirc.

Some pug enthusiast might have one though.

WyvernRH

Postby WyvernRH » Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:34 pm

flat4pilot wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:54 am
hey guys and gals,
i have an old peugeot bike. It has the mafac centre pull brakes. I am looking for the headset bracket that the cable runs through. Any idea where one could buy one?
Many thanks.
The actual Mafac ones are quite rare these days but you can pick up the Weinmann or DiaCompe equivalent on E-Bay no problems. These are actually a lot stiffer than the Mafac item so this improves the braking considerably. Was a standard mod when Mafac Racers were the go-to brake for tourists back in the 70's-80's.
The ultimate stiffness fix was to drill the stem to take the cable but you had to know what you were doing drilling holes in an alloy vital structural item! I wouldn't be drilling holes in any early or cheaper end French alloy stems at all, they were dodgy enough in their own right.

Richard

uart

Postby uart » Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:23 pm

WyvernRH wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:34 pm
The actual Mafac ones are quite rare these days but you can pick up the Weinmann or DiaCompe equivalent on E-Bay no problems. These are actually a lot stiffer than the Mafac item so this improves the braking considerably. Was a standard mod when Mafac Racers were the go-to brake for tourists back in the 70's-80's.
The ultimate stiffness fix was to drill the stem to take the cable but you had to know what you were doing drilling holes in an alloy vital structural item! I wouldn't be drilling holes in any early or cheaper end French alloy stems at all, they were dodgy enough in their own right.

Richard
Wow that's an interesting idea Richard. So you just drill down (vertically) through the horizontal section of the stem, is that right?

I've got an old set of those Mafac's that's also missing the headset bracket (cable stop). I've been toying with the idea of making one. I'm thinking it should be pretty doable with a small piece of steel plate and a bi-metal hole saw (and I've got a drill press and grinder).

I did run them (the Mafac's) one time on an old steel tourer. But I found them kind of annoying in that those uncovered inners do interfere a bit with the various bags and stuff that we like to hang off our bikes these days.

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:36 pm

There is another option, fairly readily available too.

This is a fork mount cable stop, made by Tektro. Less than $20.

In practice, needs to be screwed down (in) very tightly and hopefully has enough clearance (height) for the centerpulls, or there's also a front/rear kit from Dia-Compe ..

which comprises a steerer tube mount as well as a rear seat post binder mount for the rear.

flat4pilot

Postby flat4pilot » Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:49 am

I have the current setup as a flat bar with a hole drilled through the handlebar mount. i didn't do it but i bought the bike that way. It is just a runabout bike but i like traditional looking bikes so the diacompe idea looks promising. i will take a pic of the bike. I picked it up for $20 about 3 years ago. just going to strip it down and clean it up, regrease bottom bracket etc.
I appreciate the responses guys.
Thankyou.

frog

Postby frog » Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:09 am

Got some new tyres for the hurricane a little while ago.

stevenaaus

Postby stevenaaus » Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:23 pm

1 bys and those bars aren't really my thing, but looks absolutely amazing. Lot of style, and the coloured knobbies... Like a big old fashioned bmx. :) How are those hydro brakes.

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:34 pm

frog wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:09 am
Got some new tyres for the hurricane a little while ago.

I love Peugeots of this era.

With some urban tyres, like maybe some gumwall street BMX type rubber, that is nearly the ideal townie bike.

Love it.

frog

Postby frog » Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:01 pm

stevenaaus wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:23 pm
1 bys and those bars aren't really my thing, but looks absolutely amazing. Lot of style, and the coloured knobbies... Like a big old fashioned bmx. :) How are those hydro brakes.
Thanks, the hydro's are pretty fun - haven't crushed the rims just yet - I use them fairly gently!
I have another old Peugeot still set up as a proper retro mtb with a triple and normal bars, the hurricane is more of a fun path/gravel cruiser. Here's my other one:

10speedsemiracer wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:34 pm
I love Peugeots of this era.

With some urban tyres, like maybe some gumwall street BMX type rubber, that is nearly the ideal townie bike.

Love it.
Thanks! The tyres are pretty much semislicks so they still work pretty well around town with the ability to hit the dirt a bit as well.