mcarrigg

Re: Brisbane Coot-tha Challenge 2011

Postby mcarrigg » Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:55 am

Forecast has improved a little, now only saying "few showers"

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:05 pm

mcarrigg wrote:Forecast has improved a little, now only saying "few showers"
As long as it's only "light" rain I reckon I'll have fun. If it's heavy then I'll still be there but I probably won't have fun. :(

Max

Postby Max » Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:26 pm

Comedian wrote:As long as it's only "light" rain I reckon I'll have fun. If it's heavy then I'll still be there but I probably won't have fun. :(
+1. Are you riding in, Comedian? I plan to ride in via KBB/Grange/path into the city. I might be joined by my mum and another mate who's doing the ride.

Max
One of the best things about bicycle commuting is that it can mitigate the displeasure of having to go to work. - BikeSnobNYC
Cycling is sometimes like bobbing for apples in a bucket full of dicks. - SydGuy

Zynster

Postby Zynster » Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:36 pm

I'm in the orange category (25-30). I'll be riding the Fausto Coppi and wearing a University of QLD kit. If you see me please come and say hi.
Fausto Coppi Reparto Corse | Giant Farrago Cross

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:40 pm

Max wrote:
Comedian wrote:As long as it's only "light" rain I reckon I'll have fun. If it's heavy then I'll still be there but I probably won't have fun. :(
+1. Are you riding in, Comedian? I plan to ride in via KBB/Grange/path into the city. I might be joined by my mum and another mate who's doing the ride.

Max
See PM!

Somehow I got talked into a ride to Nudgee beach this morning (amongst other rides) so bike was filthy and everything (incl shoes) totally wet. So, 1.5 hours of cleaning later and it's all sparkling. The question is, will it make even the start point in that state :o

mcarrigg

Postby mcarrigg » Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:35 pm

Weather forecast just got slightly uglier, gone back to the forecast from earlier in the week, "rain breaking to showers in the morning". What do you think they mean by morning, our morning like 4am or most peoples mornings like 9 0r 10am lol

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:55 pm

mcarrigg wrote:Weather forecast just got slightly uglier, gone back to the forecast from earlier in the week, "rain breaking to showers in the morning". What do you think they mean by morning, our morning like 4am or most peoples mornings like 9 0r 10am lol
I'm sorry. :(

It's going to be precipitating with great vigour I believe. There is a large band over us now and that's moving off the coast. Unfortunately there is another one behind it. Best hope is we get a break between showers.

ZepinAtor

Postby ZepinAtor » Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:09 pm

Comedian wrote:
Somehow I got talked into a ride to Nudgee beach this morning (amongst other rides) so bike was filthy and everything (incl shoes) totally wet.
Like wise. Was going to race in the "Bike Week Cup", but decided the lack of training & wet weather was a good enough reason to get drenched & ride to Nudgee instead. We must have crossed paths Comedian ? Did you see a chick in a pink jersey, pink helmet, pink tyres & bar tape? Well that was my partner & I was wearing a sensible white (now brown) jersey.
Gas propulsion.......it's natural don't fight it.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:49 pm

ZepinAtor wrote:
Comedian wrote:
Somehow I got talked into a ride to Nudgee beach this morning (amongst other rides) so bike was filthy and everything (incl shoes) totally wet.
Like wise. Was going to race in the "Bike Week Cup", but decided the lack of training & wet weather was a good enough reason to get drenched & ride to Nudgee instead. We must have crossed paths Comedian ? Did you see a chick in a pink jersey, pink helmet, pink tyres & bar tape? Well that was my partner & I was wearing a sensible white (now brown) jersey.
Where do you mean? I was at "come and try road racing" school from 7-8. We did a couple of laps around the track just before 8, and then went for a ride out to nudge beach and back.

I saw a couple of ladies racing in B1 wearing pink but to be honest I didn't really look that closely. :oops: :oops: I don't remember seeing that much pink at all going to Nudgee.

ZepinAtor

Postby ZepinAtor » Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:59 pm

Comedian wrote:
ZepinAtor wrote:
Comedian wrote:
Where do you mean? I was at "come and try road racing" school from 7-8. We did a couple of laps around the track just before 8, and then went for a ride out to nudge beach and back.

I saw a couple of ladies racing in B1 wearing pink but to be honest I didn't really look that closely. :oops: :oops: I don't remember seeing that much pink at all going to Nudgee.
We turned up at 9am had a chat then headed to Nudgee. We would have crossed paths not far from the crit track if that was the case when you were returning home.

Good luck with your 10 minute Cootha challenge tomorrow & ride safe everyone.
Gas propulsion.......it's natural don't fight it.

Max

Brisbane Coot-tha Challenge 2011

Postby Max » Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:45 am

Sigh. The rain. It is here. Trying to decide if we will ride or not. Rain's one thing. Lots of riders on slippery roads is another. :(

Max
One of the best things about bicycle commuting is that it can mitigate the displeasure of having to go to work. - BikeSnobNYC
Cycling is sometimes like bobbing for apples in a bucket full of dicks. - SydGuy

Zynster

Postby Zynster » Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:59 am

No rain here atm (West End). You must be down south. There are a few showers over Beenleigh on the radar. The rest is clear. Better than I expected. The roads will still be wet though.

Max

Brisbane Coot-tha Challenge 2011

Postby Max » Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:53 am

Inner north. And now of course it has stopped raining, now that it's too late to change our minds. Anger +++. :x

I should've just HTFU'd and prayed for good riding conditions. Sigh. :(

Max

laager

Postby laager » Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:11 am

Last edited by laager on Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Max

Postby Max » Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:34 am

Laager, that makes me feel much better :D

Max

Crittski

Postby Crittski » Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:55 am

I only saw one person come off this morning. After the first ten minutes, you forget you are a bit wet (it drizzled basically the whole ride). As long as you stay upright, I don't see what the big deal is...
Santa Cruz Blur TRc XTR
Volagi Liscio Ultegra

gordy

Postby gordy » Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:07 pm

Drizzle the whole ride, but not uncomfortable. Marshals did an excellent job pointing out the slippery or slow spots.
Not as busy as previous years, probably because of the rain. Tunnel was fun.

Zynster

Postby Zynster » Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:49 pm

I enjoyed it. The rain was light. Enough to keep cool but not enough to impede vision. Nearly got taken out a few times by other cyclists, but can't blame the rain on that.

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:55 pm

gordy wrote:Drizzle the whole ride, but not uncomfortable. Marshals did an excellent job pointing out the slippery or slow spots.

+1

I checked the radar at 5am and it was clear so I rode into the start; by the time we came out of the tunnel at Bowen Hills the drizzle/rain had set in and stayed with us for the whole ride...easing off as we pulled up to our car 5 k's from Southbank! :roll:

Tunnel was better than what I thought it would be....a bit of slower traffic coming out of it and on the overpass to get on to the ICB, a few wobblers hogging up the right side of the lane, but better than I what I was expecting considering the numbers and the wet!

I only did the 45k ride, but hubby did the Coot-tha and said that the difficult part was coming down off the hill in the wet.

All in all not a bad day, looking forward to a (hopefully) dry Ipswich 100!
Lisa

dclnmurray

Postby dclnmurray » Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:31 pm

Also thought the wet stuff might put a damper on it. No way, had a ball and riding in the mist at top of Mt Coot-tha just made the day. Meh, got wet, so what, it was fun and we all enjoyed it (group thoughts). I am a member of the Crouching Tigers outfit so you or may not have seen us. Most tend to see us because of our jersey's :)

Glad I did it and we pushed it at the end bypassing the two stops.

Now for the Ipswich 100 mile.

If anyone is interested we are doing two Mt Cotton loops next Saturday in preparation for the Ipswich ride. We start at 8 mile plains, off to underwood, spring wood, daisy hill, cornubia, west Mt Cotton road, back to underwood and repeat. If you are interested it will be probably a 5:30 or 6am start on Sat, pm me if interested. Half the group are only doing one lap as they are doing the shorter ride (100 km).

Cheers

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:50 pm

gordy wrote:Drizzle the whole ride, but not uncomfortable. Marshals did an excellent job pointing out the slippery or slow spots.
+1

I had no problems with the ride and saw no crashes or anything. Everyone I had contact with was careful. My mate did have a scare though... nearly lost it on a road marking they had painted black!

I'm not sure I made my ten minutes though... I sat the heart rate in the 170's - it was all I could do. I overtook heaps of people (lots of bike walkers??) but the computer said 12.1 avg, and I needed 12.6 so I don't think I got it. :(

The bike and myself are unbelievably dirty :o The photo may tell some of the story :shock: :mrgreen:

ValleyForge

Postby ValleyForge » Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:52 pm

Visibility on the mountain was dreadful. Maybe it got better later in the morning, but the cloud, rain & being a bit worn out first thing made this the most treacherous part.

As for accidents - saw one single bike off when someone didn't wipe their brakes before coming into the Radnor st corner at Indooroopilly. Then a multi near the back of the Tennis Centre - same story I suspect.

The LBS put on a sausage sizzle which was really appreciated. Just to stand around, debrief and compare rides was really good. Kudos to John, Mat & Gayle from Boggo Rd Bike Hub.
Ha ha ha! Cookies on dowels.

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:03 pm

ValleyForge wrote:The LBS put on a sausage sizzle which was really appreciated. Just to stand around, debrief and compare rides was really good. Kudos to John, Mat & Gayle from Boggo Rd Bike Hub.

Rode past there on our way back to our car...good idea as it was undercover as well. The rain was making staying at Southbank rather unpleasant.
Lisa

ohshift

Postby ohshift » Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:19 pm

Just want to say thanks for the "thankyous" "cheers" "good mornings" from all of the riders today, it definitely made holding my right arm up for 3 hours much more pleasant. :D
I was the young dude marshalling on a corner of upland rd. It was the first bike event i've been to! Look forward to riding it next year.
CAAD10 - 2010 Dodici -