Repco Appreciation Society

uart

Re: Repco Appreciation Society

Postby uart » Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:12 pm

Spacemonkey wrote:Well, since I have no intention of reviving my Photobucket account from 1998, thanks for all the info in this thread and might see you on the road on my blue and white superlite in Melbourne.
1. Don't use Photobucket.

2. It isn't rocket science to upload a photo to the internet.

It amazes me how many people think it an almost impossible achievement, uploading a photo. And why is this problem seemingly so particular to the "retro" forum?
Last edited by uart on Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Spacemonkey

Postby Spacemonkey » Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:35 pm

I'm fully capable of putting images a hosting site rather than straight on a forum, I just haven't had to in about ten years... Have you noticed 90pc of the images in this thread are no longer visible because the links have expired? That sucks. Anyway I have time on my hands this evening and am proud of my polishing so here's some pics. Was pretty good to begin with just stripped, regressed, replaced tyres, cables, chain, brake pads, saddle, bar tape. Rides nice. Cost 90 bucks plus 250 on chainreaction

Before:

After:

uart

Postby uart » Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:39 pm

Spacemonkey wrote:I'm fully capable of putting images a hosting site rather than straight on a forum,
Yeah, sorry about that. I was having a bit of a cranky old man moment yesterday afternoon. :oops:

Spacemonkey

Postby Spacemonkey » Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:55 pm

No worries, got me angry enough to post my pics.

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:51 pm

Spacemonkey wrote:Image
Nice one! Good job on the colour coding.

pedalleur

Postby pedalleur » Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:07 am

What's the difference between a Repco Superlight and a Repco Olympic?

I collected a Repco Olympic 12 frame set {4130 doubled butted CoMo} that only had downtube shifters and both derailleurs left on it, exage..i assume it's original
It came with other road bikes i got for free
Building it up atm coz it's my size, making it orginal as possible

i'd post a pic if i can figure out how to post a pic :roll:

pedalleur

Postby pedalleur » Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:47 am

pedalleur

Postby pedalleur » Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:54 am

Using parts i collected from scrap bikes, brake levers & cranks are shimano exage so that's a bonus, and double walled rims from the era

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:33 pm

pedalleur wrote:What's the difference between a Repco Superlight and a Repco Olympic?
The Olympic is the next model up. Slightly better than a Superlite. They had cr-mo stays, where the Superlite had hi-ten stays. They also generally had slightly better equipment.

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:35 pm

pedalleur wrote:Image
Love those late 80s/early 90s colour schemes!

pedalleur

Postby pedalleur » Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:12 pm

Cool, thanks for the info, rkeslen

Ages ago in the northern suburbs {perth} an old couple needed to quit a lot of stuff in the shed because they were selling the property
Amongst some fine picks {tools etc} & for free too.. they gave me this Superlite

I flipped it for $50, fella was very happy to refurbish it
If it was my size it would have been a keeper too {too big for me}

pedalleur

Postby pedalleur » Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:24 pm

rkelsen wrote:
pedalleur wrote:Image
Love those late 80s/early 90s colour schemes!
Another case of it being too big for me, Raleigh Flyer, gave it a wheel set and a good once over, fella about 6.5 feet tall bought it

Cicadettini

Re: Repco Appreciation Society Help with Year ID?

Postby Cicadettini » Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:19 pm

Hello all, I think I have a circa 1990 Repco Victory Tri A, serial number GK029144... I understand this means "Giant" but I am unsure of how to get the year? Yellow, white, blue frame. Very good condition 27mm seat post so I assume CrMo? Image, Image,Image

rkelsen

Re: Repco Appreciation Society Help with Year ID?

Postby rkelsen » Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:15 pm

Cicadettini wrote:Hello all, I think I have a circa 1990 Repco Victory Tri A, serial number GK029144... I understand this means "Giant" but I am unsure of how to get the year? Yellow, white, blue frame. Very good condition 27mm seat post so I assume CrMo?
Nice one. 8)

Yeah, the Victory Tri A were cr-mo. I'd say that you're estimate of date is about right.

If the cranks are original, then they'll have a two letter date code on them. If it starts with O, then they're from 1990. The codes are in order, so N=1989, P=1991, Q=1992, etc.

uart

Postby uart » Sat Mar 30, 2019 6:27 pm

Very nice original looking frame there.

I've got to be honest though, I'm not really a fan of the flat bars.

pedalleur

Postby pedalleur » Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:04 pm

Yeah i agree..flat bars spoils that bike "IMO"

I coverted this Record Vortex to flat bars only because i had no choice, the Nexus 8 has grip shifters that doesn't like the curves of drop bars
{it's from a Reid single speed, so's the cranks and brake levers}

Thunderchicken

Postby Thunderchicken » Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:02 am

Hi everyone im a newbie here to this site, loving the old repco appreciation and so much good info.

So once again the local rubbish tip shop provides and for me it was an repco racer they only wanted $2 not a typo lol I gave them $10 but since realizing just what bike I had scored I should've given them some more money cos its the Eurosport tri a with all 105 gear
:) winning

uart

Postby uart » Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:33 pm

Thunderchicken wrote:Hi everyone im a newbie here to this site, loving the old repco appreciation and so much good info.

So once again the local rubbish tip shop provides and for me it was an repco racer they only wanted $2 not a typo lol I gave them $10 but since realizing just what bike I had scored I should've given them some more money cos its the Eurosport tri a with all 105 gear
:) winning
Wow, Eurosport Tri A 105 complete for $2, that's a hell of a score there Thunderchicken. :)

TBH I'm often amazed at the lack of value most people have for good quality older bikes these days. It seems that to the majority they are literally hard rubbish and worthless.

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:00 am

uart wrote: TBH I'm often amazed at the lack of value most people have for good quality older bikes these days. It seems that to the majority they are literally hard rubbish and worthless.
Then again, you also get people who do 5 minutes research, see a reference to a brand, stumble across find that one unicorn sale, and somehow decide its worth ten times the actual value 8)

But $2, or even $10, for a Tri-A is great. Even if the consumables are shot, if the frame and parts are ok, good times.

Jim

pedalleur

Postby pedalleur » Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:17 am

Ended up selling the Repco (got too many) and a ladies Traveller

Rob74

Postby Rob74 » Sat Mar 14, 2020 6:23 pm

This may help others with the same challenge.

REPCO Olympic 12 1987/1988 came with Dia-Compe Aero 5883 Brakes & DiaComp Aero Levers.
Frames were two colours:
a) Pearled Yellow & White
b) Pearled Grey & Pink

The Pearled Yellow & White had "White Hoods". Mine were sticky & due for replacement.
Took the punt that the "DiaCompe Brake Lever bases" were the same as Dia-Compe Gran Compe Aero BL07.7 & that the front section of the hood could be modified to suit.
Levers look like [search Flea Bay for pictures using the words below]
Dia-Compe CX
or
Dia Compe AC-2600

The BL07.7 is a great fit, just trace the curves of the Plastic Resin Lever Front then cut to shape with solid & sharp scissors. (Keeping the Hood OEM front face at the bottom)
(Remove the sharp plastic resin corners from bottom of rear of of lever mount before sliding the Hood on to minimise risk of tearing & use a small amount of soap/dishwashing liquid)
=>> Absolute WIN

jpw5

Postby jpw5 » Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:49 pm

Came across this Superlite over the weekend. Needs a bit of a tidy up, components are in excellent condition, frame is a little scratched up but overall pretty good.

Does anyone know much about this model? Can't find much online other than one or two random photos with no info attached.

Would love to see what this looked like in the catalogue/shop. Aiming to restore close to its original glory. Will replace bar tape, seat, tyres and give it a good clean up.

Questions:
Can I fit 28mm tyres on a Superlite?

What was the original bar tape colour/type?

What is the original seat that came with this bike?
(Or are there any recommendations for something similar for this vintage? Have seen the standard plain "Velo" seats on a few Repco's which look good but can't seem to locate any of those for purchase.)

Has anyone got any photos or links to info on this model in its original state?

Cheers.

Last edited by jpw5 on Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HotSauce

Postby HotSauce » Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:46 pm

jpw5 wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:49 pm
Came across this Superlite over the weekend. Needs a bit of TLC but it is relatively original (seat and lights maybe add ons?). Does anyone know much about this model? Can't find much online other than one or two random photos (unoriginal).

Would love to see what this looked like in it's original state. Going to replace bar tape, seat, tyres and give it a good clean up. Do 28mm tyres fit a Superlite?

Also looking to source a seat. Does anyone know what these came with orginally or have recommendations for a suitable seat for this vintage? Have seen the standard plain "Velo" seats on a few Repco's which look good but can't seem to locate any of those for purchase.

Cheers.

Hey!

I just got a hold of this bike a few hours ago in a pretty good condition. It’s in the bike storage and it’s a bit late to take photos but I was hoping to find some information about it too. Seems to be the exact same model as yours, just with more lights and a triathlon handlebar. I would be grateful if you or anyone could share more information on this beauty.

Cheers

jpw5

Postby jpw5 » Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:53 pm

HotSauce wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:46 pm
jpw5 wrote:
Came across this Superlite over the weekend. Needs a bit of TLC but it is relatively original (seat and lights maybe add ons?). Does anyone know much about this model? Can't find much online other than one or two random photos (unoriginal).

Would love to see what this looked like in it's original state. Going to replace bar tape, seat, tyres and give it a good clean up. Do 28mm tyres fit a Superlite?

Also looking to source a seat. Does anyone know what these came with orginally or have recommendations for a suitable seat for this vintage? Have seen the standard plain "Velo" seats on a few Repco's which look good but can't seem to locate any of those for purchase.

Cheers.

Hey!

I just got a hold of this bike a few hours ago in a pretty good condition. It’s in the bike storage and it’s a bit late to take photos but I was hoping to find some information about it too. Seems to be the exact same model as yours, just with more lights and a triathlon handlebar. I would be grateful if you or anyone could share more information on this beauty.

Cheers
I have since found out it is a 1992 model Superlite. There is no catalogue for that year available online at the moment. I believe my version is basically how it came out of the shop. The person who I got it off was the original owner. I assume you could choose whatever seat you wanted at the time. I'm thinking of changing that to a standard slimline road bike saddle and adding some new black bar tape. Not sure about the tyres yet.

What were you thinking? Any photos of yours?

HotSauce

Postby HotSauce » Sun Aug 09, 2020 5:10 am

jpw5 wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:53 pm
HotSauce wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:46 pm
jpw5 wrote:

Cheers.

Hey!

Cheers
I have since found out it is a 1992 model Superlite. There is no catalogue for that year available online at the moment. I believe my version is basically how it came out of the shop. The person who I got it off was the original owner. I assume you could choose whatever seat you wanted at the time. I'm thinking of changing that to a standard slimline road bike saddle and adding some new black bar tape. Not sure about the tyres yet.

What were you thinking? Any photos of yours?
After quite a bit of research, I too found that it is a 1992 Repco Superlite and was disappointed to not see the catalogue online. I think most of the components on mine are original except for the handlebars. I’m not a fan of the handlebars on my bike and am thinking about replacing them with drop bars. Although I’m having a bit of trouble finding 26mm drop bars.