Why ebikes are good / bad

Thoglette

Re: Why ebikes are good / bad

Postby Thoglette » Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:30 pm

Janice wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:27 pm
In Canada, the limit is 32km/h. In USA, it ranges between 32 and 45km/h. Why choose the European standard over the North American standard?
Because the Americans don't take road safety seriously.

Most recent article on that topic
The Deadly Myth That Human Error Causes Most Car Crashes
David Zipper in The Atlantic wrote:In 2015, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, a branch of the U.S. Department of Transportation, published a two-page memo declaring that “the critical reason, which is the last event in the crash causal chain, was assigned to the driver in 94% of the crashes.” The memo, which was based on the NHTSA’s own analysis of crashes, then offered a key caveat: “Although the critical reason is an important part of the description of events leading up to the crash, it is not intended to be interpreted as the cause of the crash.”
Janice wrote:
Surely Sydney is more Los Angeles than Copenhagen.
And the logical link to higher ebike speeds is.... what, exactly?
Janice wrote:
Why is 25km/h the magic number? My guess is that is the speed an average person can ride. That is the wrong question. It should be what speed can we allow an unlicensed rider.
Short answer: 25kph. We've been through this before.
Janice wrote:
I know that I am in the minority, but I have no problem with rego and licence for ebikes.

Instead of building bike paths I would lower the limit to 40km/h for everyone and I would allow anyone to ride on the footpath at 10km/h.
Move to WA and get an R-N scooter. (Slowly we're bringing the speed limit down as you suggest)
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Wed Dec 15, 2021 12:13 pm

Thoglette wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:30 pm
Janice wrote:
I know that I am in the minority, but I have no problem with rego and licence for ebikes.

Instead of building bike paths I would lower the limit to 40km/h for everyone and I would allow anyone to ride on the footpath at 10km/h.
Move to WA and get an R-N scooter. (Slowly we're bringing the speed limit down as you suggest)
I would love to see some research on this - but I believe that people who use high speed e-bikes and scooters choose this option because they don't want to ride on the road with cars. They perceive the bike network as a safe refuge from vehicles.

Otherwise why not just get a moped? They are cheaper!

Gordonhooker

Postby Gordonhooker » Wed Dec 15, 2021 12:47 pm

Comedian wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 12:13 pm
Thoglette wrote:
Janice wrote:

I would love to see some research on this - but I believe that people who use high speed e-bikes and scooters choose this option because they don't want to ride on the road with cars. They perceive the bike network as a safe refuge from vehicles.

-
You don't have to register ebikes in QLD but you have to register mopeds.
OI onya bike!!!

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Wed Dec 15, 2021 6:07 pm

Gordonhooker wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 12:47 pm
Comedian wrote:
Thoglette wrote:

-
The discussion above was an e-bike saying "I'd be happy to register my bike if I could go faster". I've also heard that from scooter advocates.

Gordonhooker

Postby Gordonhooker » Wed Dec 15, 2021 8:43 pm

Comedian wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 6:07 pm
Gordonhooker wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 12:47 pm
Comedian wrote:

-
The discussion above was an e-bike saying "I'd be happy to register my bike if I could go faster". I've also heard that from scooter advocates.
-
The discussion is now 17 pages long so I have no idea what you spoke about originally, but given the single quote in your post you were suggesting that people should get a moped and I was responding accordingly.
OI onya bike!!!

Janice

Postby Janice » Fri Jan 07, 2022 7:11 pm

Comedian wrote:

You can do 40km/h on an ebike and it is a lot of fun. 40km/h on a motorbike is dead boring. To have fun on a motorbike you need to go faster which is accompanied by danger and uncomfortable gear. I just sold my motorbike. Bike, ebike, motorbike is just one bike too many.

Joeblake

Postby Joeblake » Fri Jan 07, 2022 7:19 pm

To have fun on a motorbike you need to go faster
Not sure I'd agree with you on that. :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFQOr5cDnB0
To acquire immunity to eloquence is of the utmost importance to the citizens of a democracy
Bertrand Russell

Bunged Knee

Postby Bunged Knee » Sat Apr 09, 2022 6:49 am

Fiido X electric bike’s frame can apparently break in half, company issues recall

https://electrek.co/2022/04/07/fiido-x- ... es-recall/
If you’ve got a Fiido X electric bike at home, now you have a pretty magnesium sculpture. That’s because the company has issued an urgent notice for owners to stop using the e-bike after a frame defect has been discovered that causes the bike to break in two.
This bike was advertised in Indiegogo campaign.
ID please? What ID? My seat tube ID is 27.2mm or 31.6mm depending on what bikes I ride today.thanks...

Bunged Knee

Postby Bunged Knee » Fri Aug 05, 2022 7:21 am

Want to ride illegal high power ebikes in NSW???????

Police blitz on illegal ebikes in Sydney.

https://amp.9news.com.au/article/e4f8ee ... 0a7b20c3b4
ID please? What ID? My seat tube ID is 27.2mm or 31.6mm depending on what bikes I ride today.thanks...

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:39 am

Bunged Knee wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 7:21 am
Want to ride illegal high power ebikes in NSW???????

Police blitz on illegal ebikes in Sydney.

https://amp.9news.com.au/article/e4f8ee ... 0a7b20c3b4
I feel as though the heat is for the most part off illegal ebikes in QLD - although I don't think it has ever been on them. We've got far bigger problems with illegal scooters which are significantly faster and cheaper etc.

I will post this in the crazy e-device thread but illegal e-bikes are the fastest electric vehicles on the bike path now. I expect if they really crack down on scooters there may be some movement back to e-bikes.. until they crack down on them..

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Tue Dec 27, 2022 1:10 pm

If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

open roader

Postby open roader » Wed Dec 28, 2022 8:00 pm

I don't see ebikes as either good or bad - they are just bikes. Everything has a time / place / purpose.

Yes, there are pros and cons to ebike useage and ownership just like everything else in life but the snobbery bit I don't understand, more so why any ebike rider would take a jot of notice of said snobbery. Lay off the judgment, just get the trip done and preferably on a bike.

If you want to arrive at your workplace / shopping location etc without the use of a car, without perspiring and without being exhausted then by all means use an ebike to get the trip done. However, like any other interaction in life, consider your impact on your surrounds and all whom exist in it.

I love bikes. The pedaling experience can be both practical and a recreational joy. I've pedaled since I was 5 and now at 51 I see no point to differentiating between child's tricycle, a classic vintage race bike or a public commuter ebike. The bicycle is the greatest machine ever invented, perhaps the zenith of transportation on an input vs output basis.

I've been there and done that with 'conventional' pedal bikes, built them, owned them, ridden them, however, my body is beginning to fail me earlier than anticipated and I'll soon turn to an ebike to ease the way and keep my love affair with two wheels enduring.

To my way of thinking - rejecting the ebike option because it provides electric pedal assist would be cheating myself.
3rd class cycling is always better than 1st class walking

brumby33

Postby brumby33 » Sun Jan 15, 2023 9:36 am

Amsterdam is calling for crackdown on Souped up E-Bikes

Apparently, they are having trouble over there in Amsterdam with people using e-bikes that are souped up to do more than 40kph where the legal speed in Amsterdam and most of Europe is 25kph the same as set out in Australia.

People have been knocked down on ordinary bikes by those who use these overpowered e-bikes.

One noted that she was knocked off, the youth got back on his bike and took off which is a crime itself, she was quite injured. So yes, with so many people cycling in Amsterdam on a daily basis on ordinary commute bikes, you don't want some clown blasting along 3 times the average speed that everyone travels at.

https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/world/am ... 1681b6017f
"ya gotta hold ya mouth right"

VWR Patagonia 2017
2003 Diamondback Sorrento Sport MTB

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:23 am

brumby33 wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2023 9:36 am
Amsterdam is calling for crackdown on Souped up E-Bikes

Apparently, they are having trouble over there in Amsterdam with people using e-bikes that are souped up to do more than 40kph where the legal speed in Amsterdam and most of Europe is 25kph the same as set out in Australia.

People have been knocked down on ordinary bikes by those who use these overpowered e-bikes.

One noted that she was knocked off, the youth got back on his bike and took off which is a crime itself, she was quite injured. So yes, with so many people cycling in Amsterdam on a daily basis on ordinary commute bikes, you don't want some clown blasting along 3 times the average speed that everyone travels at.

https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/world/am ... 1681b6017f
It's a problem. In Australia anyone who criticises non compliant e-bikes or PMD is considered an advocate for vehicles.

But the alternative is we just wait until people start getting hurt.. but then it's always far more of a problem.

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:58 pm

open roader wrote:
Wed Dec 28, 2022 8:00 pm

I've been there and done that with 'conventional' pedal bikes, built them, owned them, ridden them, however, my body is beginning to fail me earlier than anticipated and I'll soon turn to an ebike to ease the way and keep my love affair with two wheels enduring.

To my way of thinking - rejecting the ebike option because it provides electric pedal assist would be cheating myself.

I'm early 40s but am already planning to buy an ebike when I need one, so I can keep riding! Better to be out on two wheels than sat on the couch, or use the car for everything.

My wife hardly ever goes anywhere on weekends due to health problems, and we both work within 10km of home, so the case for two cars isn't as strong as it used to be. If our 20 year old banger dies while we're still paying off the new Cerato, I'd strongly consider spending ~$5000 max on a commuting ebike with mud guards, then see whether or not we need a second car at all....
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

brumby33

Postby brumby33 » Tue Jan 17, 2023 8:01 pm

I guess nobody is disputing how good ebikes are, they've been a godsend for older folks getting some exercise, they've been great for commuters not wanting to work up a sweat or have some hills on their commute, however there are ebikes that are sold that are not compliant with Australian rules which are based on those of the UN. Maximum 200-250watt and 25kph speed boosted limit. But there are those which are often used in the food delivery Gig economy that are rented to the riders to fullfil their contracts and are often over 400watts and can do over 40kph even without pedalling, many of these bikes are speeding along a footpath in the city.
There'll always be those who will break the laws whether you agree with the laws or not, I think perhaps they should be more aligned to the USA and have a top of 32kph or 20mph which is a reasonable speed for a bicycle which is a compromise from the 25kph but more reasonable but be harder against the illegal ones.
If you can zoom up a hill at around 25-32kph while pedalling, you're doing very well.
I'm 63 and am considering it in the next couple of years, but I want one that can go at least 150kms without going flat.

brumby33
"ya gotta hold ya mouth right"

VWR Patagonia 2017
2003 Diamondback Sorrento Sport MTB

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Wed Jan 18, 2023 7:11 pm

brumby33 wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 8:01 pm
, I think perhaps they should be more aligned to the USA and have a top of 32kph or 20mph which is a reasonable speed for a bicycle which is a compromise from the 25kph
Nope.
Once again, 25kph is there for a reason. Actually several reasons.

A better path would be for these low speed ebikes to be registered “in the east” as Mopeds, per WA regs.

These allow anyone with a drivers license to ride one on the road. But not on footpaths nor PSPs. Real helmets, number plates and proper lights are required.

Last time I looked, 16 year olds could get a moped license
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

Tasmaniac

Postby Tasmaniac » Sat Mar 04, 2023 10:16 am

I bought myself an ebike about 5 weeks ago. I previously had a Trek 7300 hybrid. My main bike use is for commuting to work & I found that at 62 by Thursday, Friday I was usually knackered from my very physical job. Hills & headwinds on the way home really made it a struggle for me at times.
My wife suggested buying an electric conversion kit for my bike. After looking at what was available on the market I discovered that only $899 could get me a new ebike from Anaconda so I went with that option instead of a conversion kit. Despite hearing criticism of Anaconda's Fluid brand bikes I've found it to be well built & reliable. At 25kg it's double the weight of what my 11kg Trek was but most of the time I really don't notice it that much.
I only use pedal assist in windy conditions & up hills & the rest of the time I ride it as a normal bike. Even using pedal assist I try to keep the power low & put in as much effort as I can so I' still getting the exercise benefits from it. Also another bonus is that it has opened up for me more areas to ride by making steep hills doable where previously I couldn't manage them on a regular bike (I only started cycling in late December 22).
Encouraged by my example my Wife also bought an ebike a few weeks ago so it's great that we can both go riding & enjoy that time together. As far as I'm concerned ebikes get a big Thumbs Up.
Cycling into old age to stay fit & healthy :D
Bike: Fluid Bolt ebike
Previous Bike: Trek 7300 Mutitrack

Tasmaniac

Postby Tasmaniac » Sat Mar 04, 2023 10:28 am

Thoglette wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 7:11 pm
A better path would be for these low speed ebikes to be registered “in the east” as Mopeds, per WA regs.
These allow anyone with a drivers license to ride one on the road. But not on footpaths nor PSPs. Real helmets, number plates and proper lights are required.

How has that affected ebike numbers in the West Thoglette?
I would imagine that once you start introducing registration cost & restrictions like on the road only & not allowed on shared pathways especially on narrow busy roads where many ebike riders may not feel safe sharing such a road with cars & trucks. I'm wondering if that would add unwanted inconvenience for many ebike riders. I would think that'd probably be a deterrent especially if they add high compulsory third party insurance to the rego like they do for motorcycles here in Tassie. Just my thoughts.
Cycling into old age to stay fit & healthy :D
Bike: Fluid Bolt ebike
Previous Bike: Trek 7300 Mutitrack

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Sat Mar 04, 2023 2:36 pm

E-bikes are bad. I smashed myself trying to chase one up the hills on Friday mornings commute. Easy to catch or keep up on the flat, but I paid for making my commute a couple of minutes quicker than normal.if it had been a regular bike it would have been a fair ‘race’
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sat Mar 04, 2023 8:44 pm

bychosis wrote:
Sat Mar 04, 2023 2:36 pm
E-bikes are bad. I smashed myself trying to chase one up the hills on Friday mornings commute. Easy to catch or keep up on the flat, but I paid for making my commute a couple of minutes quicker than normal.if it had been a regular bike it would have been a fair ‘race’
LOL :wink:

https://bicycles.net.au/forums/viewtopi ... 41&t=32291

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Tue Jul 18, 2023 2:27 pm

Would this ebike meet Australian standards, ie you must be peddling
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... 0508698574

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Tue Jul 18, 2023 4:06 pm

mikesbytes wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2023 2:27 pm
Would this ebike meet Australian standards, ie you must be peddling
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... 0508698574
Unlikely Mike - a bicycle requires the vehicle to be propelled by human power, while it may be assisted by a motor, just having pedals to turn is not enough
Anything you can do, I can do slower

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Tue Jul 18, 2023 10:21 pm

Repaired some brakes on an e bike over the weekend. Owner said he couldn’t get a bike shop to look at it for him because e-bike. Just basic cable disc brakes using Shimano style pads - simple for a bike mechanic. I did wonder because despite it apparently being a legal-bike it doesn’t look like one. (Dirodi).

Then, when I went to go for a bit of a test ride it was malfunctioning. Turn it on and as soon as the pedals were moved it applied full power until fortunately the brakes were activated (cut off switch in the levers). Ended up hooning for a few minutes as it got me up to 35km/h without pedalling at all.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

hunkydory1

Postby hunkydory1 » Sat Sep 02, 2023 10:20 am

bychosis wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2023 10:21 pm
Repaired some brakes on an e bike over the weekend. Owner said he couldn’t get a bike shop to look at it for him because e-bike.
I received a warning at work for repairing a modified e-bike (bled the rear brake and replaced pivot bearings). Apparently, liabilities aren’t worth it.

Also, had to put a note under the customer’s name, voiding all warranty because the customer installed mods that mess with proper operation of a Hall sensor.