Best tyres for commuting?

cyclingnolycra

Re: Best tyres for commuting?

Postby cyclingnolycra » Fri May 13, 2022 8:49 pm

I've been commuting on 32mm maxxis refuse, they grip well, seem durable so far, and never puncture, but man, they are slow and make riding less fun.
So I'm looking for suggestions about a 30/32mm tyre that'd be faster but somewhat durable still. Is gp5000 32mm a good idea? Otherwise there's 4seasons in 32mm but not sure how much faster (pretty sure it will be though) than the refuses.

I was also considering the regular rubino pro in 30mm since that's cheap and available.
On my vittoria corsa controls in 25mm i never punctured on the commute on my other bike, but I tended to avoid wet conditions. This time I'm riding almost all conditions.

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Fri May 13, 2022 10:09 pm

I tried Michelins but they don't seem to have great grip, feel a bit hard.

More recently I have been using Pirelli P Zero 28mm and they are quick and have good grip.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Fri May 13, 2022 11:37 pm

Ive run Maxxis refuse and I’m now running panaracer at 2x the price.

The basic Q is: how fast do you want to spend? Rene Herse super ligier will be fast (and relatively long lasting compared to real race rubber) but they’re the other side of $100 each. As are real race rubber
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat May 14, 2022 3:00 am

Gators are crap in the wet, I like the Rubino Pro's. :D

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

Retrobyte

Postby Retrobyte » Sat May 14, 2022 10:06 am

I'm happy with the Rubino Pros on my commuter - 30mm. Good in the wet and no punctures so far

blizzard

Postby blizzard » Sat May 14, 2022 2:55 pm

I run a Maxxis Detonator 27.5x1.5 on my wet weather commuter. They have been great so far, fairly slow and heavy but heaps of grip. The best part was that they were $10 new.

Fair weather I ride my road bike with GP5000 TL, for a race tyre they work well for commuting. Definitely not the cheapest option.

cyclingnolycra

Postby cyclingnolycra » Sat May 14, 2022 10:21 pm

Thoglette wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 11:37 pm
Ive run Maxxis refuse and I’m now running panaracer at 2x the price.

The basic Q is: how fast do you want to spend? Rene Herse super ligier will be fast (and relatively long lasting compared to real race rubber) but they’re the other side of $100 each. As are real race rubber
part of me feels that for commuting I don't want to spend more than $70 on a tyre... it just feels wrong.
But are those Rene Herse tyres amazing? If they really are then I'd consider it. Also would consider them for my roadie...

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Sun May 15, 2022 12:12 am

cyclingnolycra wrote:
Sat May 14, 2022 10:21 pm
part of me feels that for commuting I don't want to spend more than $70 on a tyre... it just feels wrong.
For a range of reasons (one that the rimes are 630ETRO) that's where my current commuter tyres ended up. 35mm panaracers

When the current rims wear out I'll probably join the modern world at 622ETRO (but 25mm or wider rims) and then I'll have a much bigger range to chose from.

My "roadie" runs tubulars which cost a bit more and won't last half as long.
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

Cinder

Postby Cinder » Tue May 17, 2022 5:58 pm

Came in here to complain about how bad Gatorskins are, particularly in the wet, based on a few comments up I guess I'll give the Rubino Pros a go.
*** insert signature here ***

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Tue May 17, 2022 8:56 pm

Cinder wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 5:58 pm
Came in here to complain about how bad Gatorskins are, particularly in the wet, based on a few comments up I guess I'll give the Rubino Pros a go.
'
Yeah, they're ordinary. Much prefer the GP5000s. They wear faster because they're a softer, more compliant rubber but that's what you want for wet weather grip.

cyclingnolycra

Postby cyclingnolycra » Wed May 18, 2022 10:12 am

trailgumby wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 8:56 pm
Cinder wrote:
'
Yeah, they're ordinary. Much prefer the GP5000s. They wear faster because they're a softer, more compliant rubber but that's what you want for wet weather grip.
By "they" did you mean the gatorskins or rubino pros?

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Wed May 18, 2022 12:09 pm

cyclingnolycra wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 10:12 am
trailgumby wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 8:56 pm
Cinder wrote:
'
By "they" did you mean the gatorskins or rubino pros?
Sorry, could have chosen my words better. I meant the Gatorskins are ordinary.

nmelser

Postby nmelser » Sun Dec 11, 2022 10:02 pm

splashed out and bought some pirelli cinturato velo tyres after my Maxxis Re-fuse tyre got punctured by a massive screw. So far they're comfortable and feel a little faster. I don't really notice or care so much about speed. Bought them because the resistance site says they're better protection and much better road resistance: https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.co ... -velo-2018.

Anyone got opinions on them? I'm guessing they will wear quickly because they feel soft, but I seem to do serious damage to all my tyres (durano plus, Gatorskins and now refuse) before they get time to wear out.

Retrobyte

Postby Retrobyte » Mon Dec 12, 2022 8:38 am

nmelser wrote:
Sun Dec 11, 2022 10:02 pm
splashed out and bought some pirelli cinturato velo tyres after my Maxxis Re-fuse tyre got punctured by a massive screw. So far they're comfortable and feel a little faster. I don't really notice or care so much about speed. Bought them because the resistance site says they're better protection and much better road resistance: https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.co ... -velo-2018.

Anyone got opinions on them? I'm guessing they will wear quickly because they feel soft, but I seem to do serious damage to all my tyres (durano plus, Gatorskins and now refuse) before they get time to wear out.
I have Cinturato Velos on my commuter, which came with Maxxis Refuse when I bought it. I chose the Cinturato based on the site you linked - they are lighter, have better grip, less rolling resistance, and similar puncture protection to the Re-fuse.

I've had them on for a couple of months now and am really happy with them - they have better grip too. Too early to say how they will wear, but so far I would definitely buy them again.