How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

bychosis

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby bychosis » Tue Jan 16, 2024 8:17 am

I drove to work yesterday because the forecast was lots of rain. We barely got a drop.

This morning forecast isn’t great either, but took the chance and rode in. Uneventful ride-wise but something was going on. At least 9 cops cars at full tilt, lights and sirens. Unmarked, marked, highway patrol, 4wds and vans. One unmarked roared up the hill, u turned at the top and went back down where most of them headed. Another u turned at the top of the hill and headed away from the others. Nothing on news yet.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:04 am

bychosis wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2024 8:17 am
At least 9 cops cars at full tilt, lights and sirens. Unmarked, marked, highway patrol, 4wds and vans. One unmarked roared up the hill, u turned at the top and went back down where most of them headed. Another u turned at the top of the hill and headed away from the others. Nothing on news yet.

Cyclist didn't have a bell.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Jan 22, 2024 6:37 pm

Temperature started to drop finally on the commute home which made it less horrible

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Jan 29, 2024 9:37 am

back to horrible and humid conditions in Brisbane this morning.

a question for all - i hang my shirts at work with my underwear in a plastic bag. the plastic bags are slowly disintegrating. what does everyone else do?

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Mon Jan 29, 2024 12:49 pm

Nice ride in. Last day or two before the school nearby goes back and it'll be a return to the madhouse it usually is.

Wind is up now, hoping it eases before going home or it might get fun.

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Mon Jan 29, 2024 2:13 pm

jasonc wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2024 9:37 am
a question for all - i hang my shirts at work with my underwear in a plastic bag. the plastic bags are slowly disintegrating. what does everyone else do?
I take a shirt with me when I ride to work.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Jan 29, 2024 2:46 pm

P!N20 wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2024 2:13 pm
jasonc wrote:
I take a shirt with me when I ride to work.
yeah i'm lucky enough to have a locker with a dozen shirts in it that i continuously top up

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Mon Jan 29, 2024 7:37 pm

Yeah I take a shirt each day along with Jeans. Since I ride in shorts I don't need to carry undies, I'm wearing them.

Today's commute? That Southerly this afternoon was vicious. Riding South along Beach Rd was very challenging this arvo. And, it isn't as if I get much help in the morning, generally much lighter and often a Westerly rather than a Southerly.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

Retrobyte

Postby Retrobyte » Tue Jan 30, 2024 7:38 am

jasonc wrote:
i hang my shirts at work with my underwear in a plastic bag. the plastic bags are slowly disintegrating. what does everyone else do?
I take a well folded shirt, trousers, undies and socks, and a microfibre gym towel with me each day in a trunk bag on my commuter's rack. I hang the shirt up on the shower door while I'm in the shower at work, and any creases are gone by the time I have my shower. The wet towel goes into a zip lock bag and comes home with me at the end of the day, as do the clothes I wore that day. I keep a toiletries bag, two pairs of shoes, and two belts in my small locker (plus a few tubes and Co2 canisters).

AdelaidePeter

Postby AdelaidePeter » Tue Jan 30, 2024 2:17 pm

jasonc wrote:
back to horrible and humid conditions in Brisbane this morning.

I bring a shirt every second day (it folds fairly flat against my laptop in my pannier), and am fortunate to have some shelf space where I can put my shirt, pants and jumper each night, and floor space for my work shoes.

I take the train part of the way to work, meaning I don't get sweaty enough to need to change my underwear and socks in the morning. But in my previous job when I had to ride the whole way and shower when I got there, I brought fresh underwear and socks every morning.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Jan 30, 2024 2:30 pm

i only have a backpack 2 days a week. and am lucky enough to have 2 lockers - a decent sized one on the floor i work and a tiny one in the EOT facilities which holds one shirt, a towel, pants and toiletries

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Fri Feb 02, 2024 9:03 am

Todays ride in was an edition of "There's just no pleasing some people".

Traffic controllers forgot to control traffic at a single lane bottleneck, resulting in me pulling between parked cars to let the guy in the van come down. He did say a thanks out the window and mention it to the person at the end. Nobody in sight at the end he came from/I went to.

A woman stops to let me cross as I am at a refuge island (i.e. not a pedestrian crossing). Bus, 4 cars behind her. I wave her through and she gives me a "what the?" wave. Pity her window wasn't down, I don't think she heard me say it's not a crossing and give me a chance to explain why she shouldn't set that precedent.

Narrow street close to the office, cars each side so there's barely one car width between. I am one car from the end of a 4-5 car choke point when old mate in his Camry decides he isn't waiting for me to finish and keeps rolling. Slip into a slight gap between the last two cars as I am pretty sure the wing mirror went under my right hand bar. Lucky I ride a big bike. The brake lights coming on as I gave him a salute told me he was certainly looking in the mirror. He elected to turn right and not come back.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Feb 02, 2024 10:13 am

truck with hazards on pulled over in the no standing zone on sylvan rd. window down. as i went past I said "no standing zone" with a character assessment. driver then honks his horn at me. because that makes it all better. genius

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Fri Feb 02, 2024 4:21 pm

Back on MTB to commute today. Sweat fest on the way in despite being relatively cool.

Way home was very warm and windy. Must have been late leaving because there was about 20 teenagers in unifotm walking the bush track in small groups. Fortunately I was able to make it up the rock steps that usually get me I front of one group. Saved embarrassment.

Little further on a huge tree branch ŵas across the board walk. Required dismounting and chambering through. Might have to take the chainsaw to it soon.

The later closer to home some clown has put a small tree across the track to prevent motorcycles. Stupidly, it wasn't worth it. Anyone with an ounce of skill could ride over. Stopped to remove it (again) and the damn thing rebounded on me and scratched my arm. Cue minor but annoying bleeding 5min from home.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

blizzard

Postby blizzard » Sat Feb 03, 2024 7:22 pm

Very strange commute yesterday. First heaps of traffic in the CBD, backed up and couldn't filter through on the cargo bike. Then the Botanic Gardens paths were almost blocked by people lining up for a concert (also saw people queueing at 8am to get the best place for Melanie Martinez). Then there was a collision between an escooter and cyclist on the Bikeway at the Stanley St exit. It's always a bit dodgy semi blind corner with people also turning on and off the bike path. The cyclist was not in a good way, the scooter riders seemed ok.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Sun Feb 04, 2024 8:42 am

bychosis wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2024 4:21 pm
Little further on a huge tree branch ŵas across the board walk. Required dismounting and chambering through. Might have to take the chainsaw to it soon.
Went back this morning with the chainsaw. Decided that if i cleared it today, would be easier to commute tonorrow. Someone beat me to it, but cleared it out with an axe. Would have taken some work with an axe as there were lots of branches across the path.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Wed Feb 07, 2024 8:10 am

Beat the rain to work yesterday morning. Decided to leave my gloves out on a railing to air, but forgot they were there and left them in the rain. Wet gloves for return trip.

Was running a little late and rain was impending so reduced my home run MTB commute with a couple of shortcuts and put in some decent effort. Being late, there were plenty of school kids on the trail home again too. Got a bit of a cheer from a group as I crossed a little creek with a wheelie and a decent splash as the back wheel dropped into the water.
Last edited by bychosis on Wed Feb 07, 2024 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:39 am

Must be a bit rusty after the January break - forgot to claim the lane when approaching this intersection.

SUV reminded me of the necessity by squeezing between me & the road furniture, with their mirror barely 10cm from my arm.

People may think you can ride to the left after the parked car, however that creates 2 dangers (1) being left hooked into Lenore St or (2) being run into the parked cars the other side of the intersection.
Anything you can do, I can do slower

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Feb 07, 2024 7:33 pm

A couple of interesting events at work lately. Our bike cage isn't great but it is functional. A few of us have put pool noodles over the bars. So we are protective of our spots. One of the guys who has done this has had his spot taken. The solution - there's a couple of abandoned bikes in the cage. He now locks one of the abandoned bikes in his spot.

Tonight leaving work the roller door was broken. So cars were stuck. I turned around, went up through the lift and out the front door. Rang my old boss when I got home. He was still waiting...

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Wed Feb 07, 2024 7:52 pm

Were you polite enough to save your schadenfreude for us?

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Fri Feb 09, 2024 7:53 pm

Made the mistake of listening to google & rode via Blackbutt Creek Track. Pleasant scenery & nice to be away from the morons but far too much Sydney sandstone for a pleasant ride sans suspension

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Sat Feb 10, 2024 10:09 am

woke up to drizzle and wet roads yesterday morning. so while everyone else was pulling out of the group ride I hopped on the gravel bike and did a coot-tha on the way to work. the afternoon's commute was mostly dry

brumby33

Postby brumby33 » Sat Feb 10, 2024 12:41 pm

Well this past week I've finally got off my butt and onto the Vivente and began commuting to work, the first time since moving to Albury.
It's generally quite flat here except for the Hump bridge that goes over railway and Hume Highway at Albury North but as steep as it is, on my way to work, i can get over the bridge in Mid Chainwheel and biggest on the cluster without going into granny gear but because this bridge is just up the road from work, doesn't give my legs time enough on the pedals to struggle on the way home so it's granny gear time....but at least I didn't have to get off and walk it :lol:
The commute from My place to work if only 5.2kms each way and I can comfortable do it atm in 16 Minutes to and about 20 minutes from work to home, including that steep bridge.....I know I'll fly over it eventually. (I hope) :mrgreen:

I'm so cycle unfit right now and my backside isn't getting any love from the saddle, I just have to get used to it I guess.

It's really nice riding here at 5.40am, not many cars, it's nice n cool but i still get a bit sweaty so I'm going to have to take a T-shirt and wear it under my workshirt.....don't really want a shower before work and the one shower we do have, the mechanics use it so I'm not that keen lol.
Anyway, my bus passengers just have to put up with my perspiration just like i have to put up with theirs :lol: and I only work a few hours per day so I'm not that worried.

So all next week except Tuesday is looking nice to ride to work....but as I'll be on early arvo shifts this week, there'll be a lot more traffic around. Albury is quite a nice place to ride around, mostly flat with a few hills if you want them.....I try and avoid those at this point haha.

brumby33
"ya gotta hold ya mouth right"

VWR Patagonia 2017
2003 Diamondback Sorrento Sport MTB

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Sat Feb 10, 2024 2:30 pm

Welcome back brumby, it's always tough to start, but rinse & repeat & it will get easier, or at least quicker

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Sat Feb 10, 2024 3:36 pm

Step one: commute once!