Vintage Dia-compe brakes replacement

Nikio8

Vintage Dia-compe brakes replacement

Postby Nikio8 » Wed Sep 18, 2024 7:21 pm

Hi team,
I have this old steel bike with few nice parts, but the main issue are the brakes that do not seem to have much stopping power.
I was wondering if that is normal, this is just what you get with long reach side pull brakes?

I was thinking to buy newer version, but can I expect any improvement? Is there something else I can try?
Thanks

P!N20

Re: Vintage Dia-compe brakes replacement

Postby P!N20 » Wed Sep 18, 2024 7:44 pm

You could replace them with dual pivot calipers, the trick will be finding them with that length of reach. Is the nut recessed?

The cable looks corroded, possibly some new cables and housing is required.

WyvernRH

Postby WyvernRH » Wed Sep 18, 2024 9:14 pm

P!N20 wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2024 7:44 pm
You could replace them with dual pivot calipers, the trick will be finding them with that length of reach. Is the nut recessed?

Tektro make long reach, knutted dual pivot brakes. Not used them myself but their normal dual pivots are pretty good.

Richard

Nikio8

Postby Nikio8 » Wed Sep 18, 2024 9:20 pm

P!N20 wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2024 7:44 pm

Are they stronger? I was thinking to get something to lower and install pivot calipers or strengthen at least front brakes.

Cable and wires are new, just a bit of dirt from the last ride, so are brake pads (i have tried multiple, sanded them and the rims and tried multiple rims too). As the bike has dropbars and dura-ace brake levers, it should have good stopping power... Is it racing bike or what :)

Nikio8

Postby Nikio8 » Wed Sep 18, 2024 9:24 pm

Tektro make long reach, knutted dual pivot brakes. Not used them myself but their normal dual pivots are pretty good.

Richard
I was thinking to buy Tektro, but they are pricey and if the improvement is minimal, mind as well save money for new bike, ergo the post. Should older steel bike still have good stopping power, enought to skid tires?

open roader

Postby open roader » Wed Sep 18, 2024 9:34 pm

I rode an Opera Cellini fitted with the long drop Tektro brakes - unsure if they were OEM fitment but they worked well and I think they go to 75mm. If I was looking for a replacement caliper for your bike and I didn't care about period correctness I'd try the Tektro offerings.
3rd class cycling is always better than 1st class walking

Nikio8

Postby Nikio8 » Wed Sep 18, 2024 9:56 pm

open roader wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2024 9:34 pm
I rode an Opera Cellini fitted with the long drop Tektro brakes - unsure if they were OEM fitment but they worked well and I think they go to 75mm. If I was looking for a replacement caliper for your bike and I didn't care about period correctness I'd try the Tektro offerings.
Thanks, i am thinking to buy Tektro R559 to try. It is not very expensive and was thinking later on should be easier to sell the bike.

Bike is well used, so no drama. Weight loss and fitness more important than looks :)