Tag-Along with gears or without?

halloleo

Tag-Along with gears or without?

Postby halloleo » Mon Jun 10, 2024 1:24 pm

Hello fellow with-kids cyclists

I'm thinking of getting a tag-along for the longer rides with my 6-year old son (replacing the trailer he doesn't like to jump into anymore).

I was looking t the WeeRide Pro. It has in the normal version only one gear for the kid and weighs 10kg. Theoretically exists a 6-speed version of it weighing 13.5 kg.

My qestion: Is it worth it to try getting a tag-along with gears for a 6-year old (who might ride it as well when he's 7 and 8 years old)?

Does anybody have experience with a geared tag-along?

All input much appreciated.

Happy riding!

find_bruce

Re: Tag-Along with gears or without?

Postby find_bruce » Mon Jun 10, 2024 5:17 pm

My son barely turned the pedals over on the weehoo so I'm not seeing how gears would do anything.
Anything you can do, I can do slower

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Mon Jun 10, 2024 7:09 pm

Little kids often have a hard time shifting the gears on their own bike. Especially some cheap grip shift.

If you're happy enough to shift gears for them, it could be beneficial if youve got some long climbs to do.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

JPB

Postby JPB » Mon Jun 10, 2024 8:04 pm

When my kids were young I had a tag-along and I never assumed that I was getting any assistance from my co-rider. Maybe on a hill I would call for effort but who knows how much assistance I really got.
My view is that it is a nice marketing gimmick but not much else.
Slight diversion: we graduated to a tow bar attachment so they could ride by themselves until they were tired and then I could tow them.

antigee
Location: just off the Yarra Trail but not lurking in the bushes

Postby antigee » Mon Jun 10, 2024 8:51 pm

as said above gears can be tricky for younger small people I see no point on a tag along ...laughed on the call for assistance bit!...my youngest would actually really go for it ...as to tag along v tow bar...youngest preferred tag a long for chatting...oldest preferred being able to ride off and get towed if needed
a mirror is useful as what's going on can get scary...oldest fell asleep and nearly off

enjoy