Raleigh film from 1981-1982 ish? Any others besides Tour of Romandie?

tredlie

Raleigh film from 1981-1982 ish? Any others besides Tour of Romandie?

Postby tredlie » Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:13 pm

Hi to Raleigh afficionados and retro film buffs,

I recently recalled that i borrowed a movie reel from the Sydney Raleigh office ( Petersham/Summer Hill or nearby?) in 1981-1982 and my Industrial Arts/Tech Drawing teacher let me show it to our year 11 or 12 class. It was very loosely related as we studied basic bike frame physics, steel properties with changing carbon percent etc, but the main reason was perhaps that the teacher and i both liked bike racing :) I remember it was a documentary about Ti-Raleigh in a race, and while i dont remember the specifics, it got me inspired to ride and race as a young 16-17 year old who had just started racing.

At one stage the projector ate some of the film and i nearly had a heart attack at the thought of returning a broken reel but luckily a classmate somehow had experience in rejoining a pieces of movie film!

Now trying to find it on youtube, and i have found a doco about team Raleigh in 1982 Tour of Romandie which might be it: https://youtu.be/0mmHOcDxWYQ?si=iE7q-jCfy7L5di3l

The race occured in May 1982 so i guess there was time to get it produced and sent to Australia and distributed before my year 12 classes finished that year in September-October, but just wondering if the experts here know of any other Raleigh docos from that time, and have links to them that i can access?

( Given all the wins the team were having at that time, it seems a little unusual that they chose Tour of Romandie with what i assume was not their 'A' team, but happy to be corrected).

Thanks
Ed