GPS Tracking (Theft)

Aushiker

GPS Tracking (Theft)

Postby Aushiker » Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:44 pm

With my forthcoming eBike, which has a Bosch motor, I am considering a GPS tracking option.

The bike will be used for touring in areas without mobile phone coverage.

Bosch has their system, which can be retrofitted: Bosch ConnectModule and eBike Alarm The upfront cost is around $175 and then $60 per year from the second year. It does not appear to have a secure means of mounting it.

I use an Android phone.

With the above in mind are there other options worth considering?

Mike Ayling

Re: GPS Tracking (Theft)

Postby Mike Ayling » Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:00 am

A partial solution. Obviously would not work outside of mobile phone coverage areas but if you secreted a couple of track your luggage tabs (available for both Android and I phone ) on the bike you should be able to locate it when it returns to civilisation.
Recreational e bikes - for the sick, lame and lazy!

Mr Purple

Postby Mr Purple » Thu Feb 29, 2024 12:03 pm

Given it'll need mobile phone coverage that'll make things a bit harder.

Another option is the Knog Scout - ideally you'd probably run both as that requires a compatible IOS device to track it. Mind you that's a lot cheaper and won't have an annual subscription fee.

https://www.pushys.com.au/knog-scout-bi ... lsrc=aw.ds

CmdrBiggles

Postby CmdrBiggles » Thu Feb 29, 2024 12:18 pm

I cannot really see the point of an alarm.
The plethora of noises that pollute our everyday environment, from building alarms, emergency services, car alarms (by far the most common) and even personal distress alarms, means that buying anything for your bike that makes a noise (even a rubber hooter!) will likely attract little more than a passing glance. After all, a person can be mugged on the street to within an inch of their life in full view of people standing around, who then get a few photos and wander off! Are you expecting somebody to come along and flatten the thief for setting off your bike's alarm? We might be a long way off better alternatives e.g. I would favour an alarm that gives the dimwit trying to run off with my bike a decent electric shock as an initial warning, and the next one even more of a jolt! :lol:

Trackers don't have a particularly good reputation for accurate tracking. Their satellite retinue is a bit limited; where most bike computers use 2 or 5 satellites, a tracker may use only one; the more satellites working together, the better the positioning accuracy — to a point! GPS is not 100% reliable in city areas, and can give a false positioning if there are strong fields of interference nearby. This is particularly true of Melbourne CBD where GPS positioning (e.g on bike computers and dedicated Garmin handheld GPS devices) can be off by as much as 1km — a product of the landscape saturated with all manner of interference — tramlines, mobile towers, relay stations, transponders, underground trips. It is not a sterile environment that particularly favours hedging your bets on 100% accuracy.

End of the day, the best defence is keep the bike close by, use a heavy duty lock — like those recommended by VeloSure, and regard anybody going near the bike with suspicion.
GIANT 2024 TCR Advanced Pro Disc 0 AR | GT 2014 Zaskar 29er | 2022 Dragon Raptor e-scooter [Yellow Peril]

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Feb 29, 2024 3:40 pm

Mike Ayling wrote:
Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:00 am
A partial solution. Obviously would not work outside of mobile phone coverage areas but if you secreted a couple of track your luggage tabs (available for both Android and I phone ) on the bike you should be able to locate it when it returns to civilisation.

I hadn't considered the 'return to civilisation' aspect ... that would probably work with the Apple tags, at least. The only Android I have seen is the Tile, which appears to require the app to be installed on other people's phones.

I see that Apple AirTag may also have a problem if the thief has an Apple phone ...
If someone else’s AirTag finds its way into your stuff, your iPhone will notice it’s travelling with you and send you an alert. After a while, if you still haven’t found it, the AirTag will start playing a sound to let you know it’s there.
Last edited by Aushiker on Thu Feb 29, 2024 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Feb 29, 2024 3:42 pm

Mr Purple wrote:
Thu Feb 29, 2024 12:03 pm

Another option is the Knog Scout - ideally you'd probably run both as that requires a compatible IOS device to track it. Mind you that's a lot cheaper and won't have an annual subscription fee.
The mounting of the Knog Scout is a bit of concern if I understand it correctly. It appears to mounted under a water bottle cage which if correct makes it rather visible and I assume easily removed.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Feb 29, 2024 3:45 pm

CmdrBiggles wrote:
Thu Feb 29, 2024 12:18 pm
I cannot really see the point of an alarm.
As per the headline I am considering a tracker, not an alarm. If an alarm comes with the tracker as in the case of the Bosch that is okay but not a reason for the purchase.

I am not in Melbourne nor in the CBD of Perth plus with touring the infrastructure interference is little concern. That said I will look into the number of satellites used, particularly with the Bosch unit.

Mr Purple

Postby Mr Purple » Thu Feb 29, 2024 3:51 pm

Aushiker wrote:
Thu Feb 29, 2024 3:42 pm
Mr Purple wrote:
Thu Feb 29, 2024 12:03 pm

The mounting of the Knog Scout is a bit of concern if I understand it correctly. It appears to mounted under a water bottle cage which if correct makes it rather visible and I assume easily removed.
Yes, but if you have both they'll remove the easily visible Knog scout and miss the other one!

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Feb 29, 2024 7:26 pm

Mr Purple wrote:
Thu Feb 29, 2024 3:51 pm

Yes, but if you have both they'll remove the easily visible Knog scout and miss the other one!
True. Looking at Google's Find My Device it may be an option with new developments planned for later in the year. It also works with The Tile tags and is operating system agnostic.

Andy01

Postby Andy01 » Thu Feb 29, 2024 7:57 pm

Aushiker wrote:
Thu Feb 29, 2024 3:40 pm
The only Android I have seen is the Tile, which appears to require the app to be installed on other people's phones.

Doesn't Samsung sell their Android equivalent now ?

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:14 pm

Andy01 wrote:
Thu Feb 29, 2024 7:57 pm
Doesn't Samsung sell their Android equivalent now ?
Yes. It appears to have very limited functionality and is limited to Samsung phones.

Andy01

Postby Andy01 » Fri Mar 01, 2024 9:46 am

Yeah, no idea. I am Apple, so I have no clue about anything Android.

I just saw them on Techradar where they were suggesting that they had similar functionality to Airtags. I am not referring to the older Samsung SmartThings tracker, but rather to the Samsung Smart Tag2.

caneye

Postby caneye » Fri Mar 01, 2024 10:51 am

The Knog is mounted under the bottle cage but it is actually quite discrete. It is just a black thin piece that blends into the bottle cage from afar.
The bright yellow neon strip is optional (you can choose not to use it).

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Mar 01, 2024 3:36 pm

Andy01 wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2024 9:46 am
I am not referring to the older Samsung SmartThings tracker, but rather to the Samsung Smart Tag2.
I hadn't come across those. Now having a look.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Mar 01, 2024 3:42 pm

caneye wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2024 10:51 am
The Knog is mounted under the bottle cage but it is actually quite discrete. It is just a black thin piece that blends into the bottle cage from afar.
The bright yellow neon strip is optional (you can choose not to use it).

Okay. I did have more of a look at it I noticed it is uses the Apple system, which is a limitation for me as I have an Android phone. That said I do have an Apple iPad that I can use for setup and then track via the website on my phone if necessary.

I am now thinking the Bosch system plus either the Knog or a tag as per Mr Purple's suggestion

RonK

Postby RonK » Sat Mar 02, 2024 12:42 pm

I not sure any GPS tracker will work - as far as I can determine they still rely on the mobile phone network to send notifications.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...