Crank Binding Bottom Bracket

P!N20

Crank Binding Bottom Bracket

Postby P!N20 » Mon Jan 22, 2024 1:46 pm

Scratching my head a bit on this one.

Replaced the bottom bracket on my Kona Paddywagon with a Tange sealed bearing unit a few weeks ago. While it has been running fine since then there's been a bit of a creaking noise seemingly coming from the drive side crank. Thought I'd drop a teensy bit of grease on the spindle taper just to see if I could quieten things down.

Now when I put the drive side crank back on it bottoms out on the bottom bracket bearing and binds it so the cranks don't spin.

I have a spare crank of the same model and put that on to compare, and well what do you know, that one doesn't bottom out and with a bit of super accurate measuring appears to sit outboard about 2-2.5mm further than the binding crank.

Where I'm confused is, last week it seemed to be working fine (save a bit of creaking) and now it binds really easily - I don't even have to tighten it up much to seize up the bottom bracket.

Picture of the crank - wondering if there was a way to take 2mm off the back?

So what's going on here, is the taper on the crank just worn out? Visually it doesn't look too bad, but there's obviously something going on.