ORBEA REAR HUB/MOTOR GROWL

bgorton

ORBEA REAR HUB/MOTOR GROWL

Postby bgorton » Sat Dec 30, 2023 4:30 pm

I have an Orbea Gain D30 and recently noticed a "growling" sound when coasting and not under power. I ride most days and only use the motor to climb a couple of steep hills, otherwise the 20 odd km is unassisted.

The growl, sounds like bearings, is only apparent when coasting and becomes more pronounced if I backpedal both when unassisted and with the power on. Does anyone have experience with the Mahle X35 motor? I cannot find any info about bearings or servicing. The bike is almost three years old and has covered something over 5,000km.

open roader

Re: ORBEA REAR HUB/MOTOR GROWL

Postby open roader » Fri Jan 05, 2024 6:50 pm

I have a 2021 Orbea Gain M30 with the Mahle x35+ rear hub. Mine is less than 500km old and perfect........

However, I'm a member of the Orbea Gain Facebook Group which is chock full of mechanical discussion re the Gain and Mahle x35 systems.

From a conventional bicycle mechanics viewpoint it sounds to me like the bearings in the freehub are worn out and/or there is a loose or broken pawl in the freehub body.

Easy fix on nearly any regular rear hub however the Mahle x35 system requires a special tool to access the bolts that remove the freehub. Any dealer worth their salt that sells the x35 system should have this tool.

[shareyoutube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7Mg4dkkK0A[/shareyoutube]
3rd class cycling is always better than 1st class walking