Bike Security

wm460

Bike Security

Postby wm460 » Sun Oct 22, 2023 6:58 pm

Last couple of months there has been two attempts to steal my bike by the untouchables, First time the bike was chained to a fence around the back wheel and frame and they yanked it so hard it buckled the rim so it was hitting the frame.
Second time chained to a bike rack yanked it and broke a couple spokes.

What security can you recommend?

Are the alarm padlocks any good or are they just a gimmick.

P!N20

Re: Bike Security

Postby P!N20 » Sun Oct 22, 2023 7:13 pm

Without knowing exactly what type of chain you are using, D-locks are usually a better option when it comes to locking your bike.

I'm not familiar with alarm padlocks but sounds like a gimmick to me.

Of course, the best way to ensure your bike doesn't get stolen is to not leave it unattended. I know that's not always achievable, but there's always a degree of risk no matter what locking device you use.

FWIW I use a Hiplok DX around the rear wheel and frame and choose public areas with people around.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:07 pm

Sounds like ypu could have the best security… but they will try anyway.

Hpwever having two or three security mechanisms can be worthwhile, just make sure there is no slack in the locks where they can use leverage to destroy the frame and parts.

Are there other locations, best is indoor. Sometime busy areas are good… unless people are turning a blind-eye or feel helpless to interject.

Audible security solutions for bikes tends to be underwhelming, but still a good idea. Is this the type of warning that will make them feel uncomfortable and dissuade them?
Cycling is in my BNA

uart

Postby uart » Thu Oct 26, 2023 11:37 am

wm460 wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2023 6:58 pm
Last couple of months there has been two attempts to steal my bike by the untouchables,
Not sure who the "untouchables" are, but if this is the 15 year old, 26 inch wheel, non high end MTB mentioned in your other post, then it must be a rough neighborhood. Around here no one will touch any of my older bikes with a ten foot pole. I've got an old steel "26er" that I often ride to my local beach and just lean it up against the salt-bush while I go for a swim. No lock at all, and it's always there when I return.

Sorry if that wasn't real helpful, but it does show one method. For those instances where you must leave a bike unattended for a period of time, get a bike that runs ok but looks so crap that no one wants it. :?

OnTrackZeD

Postby OnTrackZeD » Thu Oct 26, 2023 12:49 pm

uart wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2023 11:37 am
wm460 wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2023 6:58 pm
Last couple of months there has been two attempts to steal my bike by the untouchables,
For those instances where you must leave a bike unattended for a period of time, get a bike that runs ok but looks so crap that no one wants it. :?
That's what I do but I still lock it at the local shops with a cheap lock.

uart

Postby uart » Thu Oct 26, 2023 7:25 pm

OnTrackZeD wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2023 12:49 pm
That's what I do but I still lock it at the local shops with a cheap lock.
Yep, I've found that as well. No matter how crap a bike looks there's always someone at shops etc who will opportunistically jump on it just to avoid a walk home or whatever. But usually a minimal lock (like even a $5 K--Mart combo) is enough to dissuade that.

At the beach I go to it's a bit isolated (no road all the way in), so a bit of a walk or a ride in, which makes it pretty safe. There's surfers and fishos and dog walkers there, but not really people just "hanging around". And you know it's nearly always the ones just "hanging around doing nothing" that do most antisocial stuff.

caneye

Postby caneye » Fri Oct 27, 2023 1:11 pm

Can you just remove the front wheel before locking up the bike?

that will make your bike so much less appealing to the would-be thieves.