Wahoo Bolt v1 replacement ?

MichaelB

Wahoo Bolt v1 replacement ?

Postby MichaelB » Thu Jun 22, 2023 9:13 pm

It seems that with some recent phantom ‘lines’ on the display of my ageing Bolt v1, I can see that it is time to start the search for a replacement.

Really happy, as in VERY, with the GUI and the unit itself. It has enough features for what I use.

The obvious replacement is the Bolt v2, but may also consider the Roam v2.

Not interested in the Karoo due to Android and cost, and not really a Garmin fan, so the 540 & 840 aren’t really my cup of tea.

Any users of the Roam v2 or Bolt v2 ?

Cheers

nickobec

Re: Wahoo Bolt v1 replacement ?

Postby nickobec » Fri Jun 23, 2023 1:49 am

Ask Wahoo Customer Service about repairing your Bolt V1. They will not, but they will offer a "crash replacement" ie big discount on a V2 Bolt or Roam.

I went from Bolt V1 to V2 that way, biggest change colour, for maps, zones (HR, power etc) and now has climbing feature.

Happy I went Bolt V2 and not Roam V2, about the only advantage is form factor ie bigger screen, given how I use my Bolt, not an issue.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Fri Jun 23, 2023 6:57 am

Cheers, will try that. Thanks

Andy01

Postby Andy01 » Fri Jun 23, 2023 9:22 am

MichaelB wrote:
Thu Jun 22, 2023 9:13 pm
It seems that with some recent phantom ‘lines’ on the display of my ageing Bolt v1, I can see that it is time to start the search for a replacement.

Really happy, as in VERY, with the GUI and the unit itself. It has enough features for what I use.

Not interested in the Karoo due to Android and cost, and not really a Garmin fan, so the 540 & 840 aren’t really my cup of tea.

Cheers
I have just bought a Karoo 2 - they are currently reduced in price by $224 to $415 which makes them quite competitive (a lot cheaper than Roam 2 and a bit dearer than Bolt 2) right now - especially if you get referred and get a free HRM as well.

viewtopic.php?f=44&t=107490

I have done 11 short rides (45-50 minutes each) and the battery is currently sitting on 34%, so not great but not too bad either. Some lithium batteries do improve slightly after a few charge cycles so it may get slightly better ?

As regards the Android thing with the Karoo, I have a iPhone 14 Pro, and I really wouldn't notice that the Karoo runs Android - the GUI just looks like a propriety interface to me. I have used Android (Samsung) phones for work in the past and the Karoo looks nothing like them.

Karoo does not have an app (well, I did read something about some kind of Android "partner app" but no idea about it) and it connects to my home WiFi when I return and automatically uploads the ride to the Hammerhead dashboard (and Strava / RideWithGPS etc) when I end the ride. If I wanted to do this away from home I would have to connect to my iphone hotspot for an internet connection (you can insert a SIM card directly into the Karoo if you want full connectivity).

I found it very easy to set the device up on the device. The touchscreen is VERY clear and responsive - a bit like my old iphone 4s (of bygone years), so it is almost like using a phone to set it up. At 3.2" (with about 4x the pixel count of similar sized Garmin or Bryton units) it is a great screen (mine is current set to 15% brightness and still perfectly visible in Brisbane sun) and I use mostly the 11 parameter data screen, plus it permanently displays ride time, actual time and battery percentage at the top, so 13 parameters on one screen (easily).

I have used Bryton previously so I can't comment on Wahoo or Garmin, but I am liking the Karoo 2 so far. They also offer a 45 day no cost trial period, so if you choose to return it within that period they pay for return shipping, so I figured I would give it a try because there was no risk (unless I damaged it during the trial period).

If you were to consider Garmin, I think 99Bikes currently offers a 1030 + HRM for $698, which seems a reasonable deal for a 1030 compared to others, but still $284 more than a Karoo 2 + HRM (with the referral deal).

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Fri Jun 23, 2023 10:12 am

MichaelB wrote:
Thu Jun 22, 2023 9:13 pm

Cheers
If you wanted to save a bit of money, I noticed yesterday that 99 Bikes currently have the larger v1 Elemnt Roam for cheaper ($299) than the new smaller v2 Elemnt Bolt ($340).

https://www.99bikes.com.au/nsearch?q=wahoo+elemnt
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Fri Jun 23, 2023 2:08 pm

Mububban wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2023 10:12 am

If you wanted to save a bit of money, I noticed yesterday that 99 Bikes currently have the larger v1 Elemnt Roam for cheaper ($299) than the new smaller v2 Elemnt Bolt ($340).

https://www.99bikes.com.au/nsearch?q=wahoo+elemnt
Thanks will have a sticky beak.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Fri Jun 23, 2023 2:10 pm

Andy01 wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2023 9:22 am
……
If you were to consider Garmin, I think 99Bikes currently offers a 1030 + HRM for $698, which seems a reasonable deal for a 1030 compared to others, but still $284 more than a Karoo 2 + HRM (with the referral deal).
Cheers Any01. As mentioned in OP, not interested in the Karoo - have read a bit re them (both v2 & 3), but not what I am after.

And Garmin isn’t a favourite either, especially the size of the 1030 ( have tested one before too).

Bolt is big enough, don’t need bigger but thanks

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Fri Jun 23, 2023 2:11 pm

Failing eyesight has made me go for bigger screens.
Very handy for gravel mapping.
I have taken to copying routes off Strava.
Put in my location and distance and it plumbs a few in nearby.
Don't know where the hell I am, out in the sticks at times, so the mapping comes in quite handy.
I don't really see any negatives to a larger screen.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Fri Jun 23, 2023 2:21 pm

Andy01 wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2023 9:22 am

The OP doesn't like Garmin but for others that is a good deal.
I got a refurbished 1030+ recently to replace my old 1000, as the battery life on that, with power, mapping and radar going was down to about 8 hrs.
This 1030+ I estimate would go 30-40 hours on a charge with all that going and 10 data fields displayed . Less than 3% battery life per hour.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

am50em

Postby am50em » Fri Jun 23, 2023 3:20 pm

The Edge 1040 is $790 at Pushys for those who want big screen and can live with a Garmin.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Fri Jun 23, 2023 5:10 pm

I have a Bolt V2 and very happy with it. Paid around $350 several years ago. I'd avoid the Roam V1 (doesn't get live Summit feature for a start). Summit is the Wahoo version of Garmin's ClimbPro and now works without loading a route. Very handy feature.

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Fri Jun 23, 2023 6:02 pm

The current prices on the Wahoo site are:
Bolt V2 $349 (205)
Roam V1 $299 (180)
Roam V2 $510 (306)

the numbers in brackets are crash replacement prices based on my and others experience. So that is why I said contact customer service first.

and yes I would replace my Bolt V2 with another V2 (almost did, until Wahoo customer support decided that being chewed by a puppy was warrantable)

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Fri Jun 23, 2023 9:09 pm

Cheers everyone !!

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Fri Jun 23, 2023 9:09 pm

Cheers everyone.

Good options

Ivanerrol

Postby Ivanerrol » Sun Jun 25, 2023 10:11 am

If you still have the original receipt or your LBS keeps transactions on their data bases, you can take the V1 back to where you bought it. There's a good chance yours might be replaced for free - to V2.
My replacement was F.O.C. - 99 Bikes
Screen had gone completely blue. This will happen ultimately to your screen if is starting with a few lines.
Well known problem overseas.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Mon Jun 26, 2023 9:10 am

Ivanerrol wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2023 10:11 am
If you still have the original receipt or your LBS keeps transactions on their data bases, you can take the V1 back to where you bought it. There's a good chance yours might be replaced for free - to V2.
Screen had gone completely blue. This will happen ultimately to your screen if is starting with a few lines.
Shop bought from has closed down, so that won’t work.

Need to get some pics of the screen issue so I can contact customer service and try that option as suggested

Mr Purple

Postby Mr Purple » Mon Jun 26, 2023 10:00 am

I was very happy with my Wahoo Bolt V1 until the battery completely died after 2km from a full charge after almost three years.

Instantly replaced it with the Bolt V2 ($300 odd on special at 99 Bikes) and it is so much better. Much clearer, and having colour ranges you can set for your power output and HR (green/orange/red) makes it much more usable.

I must say the 'Summit' feature drives me mad though. As someone who compulsively attacks every climb anyway I really don't need extra encouragement.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Mon Jun 26, 2023 10:12 am

Mr Purple wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2023 10:00 am
I was very happy with my Wahoo Bolt V1 until the battery completely died after 2km from a full charge after almost three years.

Instantly replaced it with the Bolt V2 ($300 odd on special at 99 Bikes) and it is so much better. Much clearer, and having colour ranges you can set for your power output and HR (green/orange/red) makes it much more usable.

I must say the 'Summit' feature drives me mad though. As someone who compulsively attacks every climb anyway I really don't need extra encouragement.
Pity there is no ability to turn the Summit feature off from the head unit. You need to use the phone app.

Ivanerrol

Postby Ivanerrol » Mon Jun 26, 2023 9:09 pm

MichaelB wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2023 9:10 am
Ivanerrol wrote:

Need to get some pics of the screen issue so I can contact customer service and try that option as suggested
On spec, you could always and try taking your original receipt to 99 Bikes - you might have some luck.
It's Wahoo who actually replace the unit. 99bikes - just an intermediary.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Mon Jun 26, 2023 9:41 pm

Ivanerrol wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2023 9:09 pm
MichaelB wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2023 9:10 am
Ivanerrol wrote:

On spec, you could always and try taking your original receipt to 99 Bikes - you might have some luck.
It's Wahoo who actually replace the unit. 99bikes - just an intermediary.
I’d be scratching to find any receipt, but I’ll look !!

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Jul 19, 2023 10:36 am

Still using the Bolt v1, but noted this morning that the # of pixels dying is slowly increasing. Not an issue yet.

So per nicobec's recommendation, submitted a request on their customer support line, so standby to standby.

Image of dying Bolt

Interestingly, Bicycle Superstore is by far the cheapest for the Bolt v2 (head unit only at $339), with 99bikes at $399.

Lets see what Wahoo comes back with 8)

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Fri Jul 21, 2023 8:54 am

So, ticket was filled in and got a response.

They asked for some extra pics of the unit and the receipt (which I found from Nov 2017 !!) and sent that off.

Standing by to standby

Also Pedal Mafia has it for $340 and you can grab a 10% off code so that makes it $306 !

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Fri Jul 21, 2023 12:07 pm

MichaelB wrote:
Fri Jul 21, 2023 8:54 am
So, ticket was filled in and got a response.

They asked for some extra pics of the unit and the receipt (which I found from Nov 2017 !!) and sent that off.

Standing by to standby

Also Pedal Mafia has it for $340 and you can grab a 10% off code so that makes it $306 !
Came back really quick, and since was bought eons ago, can't do a warranty fix (which I wasn't expecting anyway), but offered a 20% voucher.

Given the sites $399 price, that makes it $320 for a Bolt V2 or $480 for a Roam V2.

Might look at the Pedal Mafia site again and double check.

Can't fault Wahoo's service, and in reality, almost 6 years is pretty good :-)

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Sat Jul 22, 2023 11:54 pm

Preference would be the bolt 2… what features does the roam have or offer that will be beneficial? For most riders, only a handful of the total functionality is used. (Says the guy who just got a wahoo roam… still waiting to be unpacked). I have a few Garmins at the moment and the smaller format (520, 540) are the sizes I prefer to ride with.

But good move to stay away from the hammerhead Karoo 2. I have really struggled to warm up to it.. appears to be more focused on mapping than data… but fundamental flaws in route planning (can’t select a waypoint too far from the existing route) means I loose patience and give up… and just go riding. Some setup and UI on this are nice… but the unique mount makes it harder to fit to all cockpits.

Thinking outside the box, Bryton are still out there however lag in adoption and integration.
Cycling is in my BNA

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Mon Jul 24, 2023 3:37 pm

Cheers Christopher.

Will 99% sure get a Bolt v2, but have some bills coming soon, so will hold off for a bit longer.