:cry:

Warnesy

Re: RIP Gino Mader

Postby Warnesy » Sat Jun 17, 2023 9:37 pm

Such very sad news.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sun Jun 18, 2023 10:28 am

Same old same old - there s nothing new under the sun and it's been like this for 150 years. Event organisers looking to generate a spectacle treat riders like cattle who are expendable.

I hope the Swiss authorities look at this closely with as wide a scope as possible, rather than confining it only to the circumstances of the crash. As the stage winner said before learning of Gino's passing, the stage should have finished at the summit, the descent was known to be dangerous.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun Jun 18, 2023 3:56 pm

Really terrible. RIP. :(

I don't follow any pro cycling or racing so I didn't know about this until someone mentioned it. Seemed like a really decent person.

Pro cyclists are expendable however, there are loads of young people around the world who are desperate to join the pro-cycling ranks, so the organisers can just continue on as they are without any problem.

Some cycling fans/spectators can also shoulder some of the blame too, witness those who think these guys are professionals, get paid to race, we should see crashes and danger because it makes things exciting for them. The same can be said of some motor racing fans who rage against safety improvements, they think danger makes it more exciting to watch.

vosadrian

Postby vosadrian » Mon Jun 19, 2023 9:54 am

So sorry to hear about Gino.

I don't disagree with the sentiments here.... but it does annoy me when some riders/teams who are less skilled at descending complain about technical descents and want to neutralise some descents for safety... but in doing so take away a gifted descenders chance to use that skill for racing benefit. Pidcock's win on the back of some insane descending last year TDF was awesome and surely put him at high risk of injury. I prefer cycling to be multi-faceted rather than just about W/kg. A cyclist should have the ability to assess risk/reward for themself.

In this case, a dangerous descent close to the finish after a tough climb was asking for trouble. I don't know the details of how he crashed (and I tried to find something but failed). Was it that he was trying regain time lost on the climb?

I'm actually surprised that the death rate amongst cyclists in the Pro tour is quite low. Seeing the crashes and the exposure to high speed impact with minimal safety gear. I think this sort of thing will continue to happen from time to time in many sports, but to make them absolutely safe would take away from excitement of the sport.... I'm not interested in watching a Zwift race myself. I like F1, but the cars have gotten so safe these days that drivers seem to be willing to try a stupid overtake move as injury risk is low.

baabaa

Postby baabaa » Fri Jun 23, 2023 6:03 pm

Bobby (Julich) and Jens (Voigt)
Guest - Adam Hansen

The vid is a bit of a mess to watch but once the pod cast is up it could fill in the gaps - still well worth a listen - re safety I like what Adam Hansen is trying to do as I dont / cant watch much road bike racing any more due to the sheer speed ends up with a high number of nasty crashes.
The highlight on the vid to me is the comment from Jens at around 18:30 - that would draw me back into watching grand tours

https://podcasts.apple.com/au/podcast/b ... 1463427673

edit - more links to find the vid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zm3Nq4vyNQM&t=11s

https://www.youtube.com/@OutsideWatch/videos
Last edited by baabaa on Sat Jun 24, 2023 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Fri Jun 23, 2023 9:22 pm

I’ll have to find some time to listen to the whole thing