Need advice on a safe commuting route

NatC

Need advice on a safe commuting route

Postby NatC » Sun May 14, 2023 6:57 am

Hi everyone,

I need advice on how to commute safely from the Newmarket hotel to mcdowall state school safely. I actually live in the gap but can safely get to the Newmarket hotel from there.

Thanks in advance for any helpful tips!!

NatC

elantra

Re: Need advice on a safe commuting route

Postby elantra » Mon May 15, 2023 3:12 am

NatC wrote:
Sun May 14, 2023 6:57 am
Hi everyone,

I need advice on how to commute safely from the Newmarket hotel to mcdowall state school safely. I actually live in the gap but can safely get to the Newmarket hotel from there.

NatC
Crikeys that will probably be a challenge.

It’s years since I lived in Brisbane but going back a decade or more I used to do a lot of riding on the inner Northside, especially Ashgrove/ Newmarket /Windsor

My guess is that you might need to take the bikepath along Enoggera creek east from Ashgrove then turn north on Noble St, cross Newmarket Rd onto Kedron Brook Road, and cross Day’s Rd, then a short distance along Uxbridge Rd will take you to the Kedron Brook Bikeway (turn west)
The Kedron Brook Bikeway used to be really good in places, but I believe that some parts of it were destroyed by the 2022 floods.

Anyway that gets you close to McDowell, but that’s where my knowledge becomes negligible.
Unfortunately I think you will find that bicycle commuting on the Northside of Brisbane is not for the faint-hearted, and is a lot more challenging than commuting say from The Gap to the Southeast or Southwest directions.
Hopefully other members of the forum who live on the Northside will see this topic and give you more info.

vbplease

Postby vbplease » Sat May 20, 2023 6:00 pm

If safety is a priority and you don’t mind going with a little detour, I’d go from McDowall to Newmarket this way:

Head south down Trouts rd.. it’s pretty wide, just need to go around the parked cars where necessary
Take this down to Everton park shops where Rebel Sport is. This will get you onto the kedron brook bikepath.
Take the bikepath to grange and couple resi streets will get you to the north end of Kedron brook road. This road can be a little busy, but also has a high volume of bikes, so cars should accomodate you ok.
The south end of Kedron brook road will take you along the Enoggera creek bikepath (west) to Newmarket hotel.

StephenH

Postby StephenH » Wed Jul 26, 2023 8:42 pm

NatC wrote:
Sun May 14, 2023 6:57 am
Hi everyone,

NatC
How did you get on? I might have alternative options for you to try.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Fri Jul 28, 2023 3:57 pm

Perhaps you could join Brisbane North BUG Members Forum on FB. Lots of locals on that page.