Helmets and cochlear implant

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
celeste boy

Helmets and cochlear implant

Postby celeste boy » Fri Dec 09, 2022 5:15 pm

Has anyone had any experience purchasing a suitable helmet for a person with a cochlear implant.
Im guessing you buy a bigger size and put in some padding?

trailgumby

Re: Helmets and cochlear implant

Postby trailgumby » Fri Dec 09, 2022 5:51 pm

celeste boy wrote:
Fri Dec 09, 2022 5:15 pm
Has anyone had any experience purchasing a suitable helmet for a person with a cochlear implant.
Im guessing you buy a bigger size and put in some padding?

You (or your friend, if you're asking for them) might be able to apply for a medical exemption. I'm assuming some kind of device sits on the outside of the cranium over the cerebral implant, and you're looking for clearance between it and the helmet?

It might be preferable to cut some clearance into the interior styro ribs around the external device for the helmet size you would normally wear.

My thoughts are that placing padding around the rest of the helmet will be quite hot for the wearer, and would probably make the helmet less effective in its intended use case. While the styro would be thinner around the area of the implant, the risk of taking a hit on exactly that area would I think be less than the risk of taking a hit elsewhere with an oversize poorly fitting helmet.

Of course, those modifications would render the helmet non-compliant, hence the exemption, but you would have the option of not wearing one at all as well, when the risk situation made that feasible.

I wonder what the motorcycle crew do?

John Lewis

Postby John Lewis » Fri Dec 09, 2022 11:14 pm

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Dec 10, 2022 8:59 am

Now this is a problem that I'd never considered or thought of. :| Pretty sure there are helmets that have a high cut above the ears and different lengths of where the strap V's down to the chin part because I've found some have more room around the ear area but that article linked above by John Lewis is a good starting point for info. :idea:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

celeste boy

Postby celeste boy » Sat Dec 10, 2022 9:30 am

Wow!
Thank you for those replies.
1 day post surgery for me and I have much more confidence in returning to riding.
'Matron' at home has me on light duties and probably no riding till after Christmas.
CB

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Dec 10, 2022 1:30 pm

celeste boy wrote:
Sat Dec 10, 2022 9:30 am
Wow!
Thank you for those replies.
1 day post surgery for me and I have much more confidence in returning to riding.
'Matron' at home has me on light duties and probably no riding till after Christmas.
CB

Great to hear and I just remembered that I have a mate up here that has two of them in and still uses the same helmet. He mentioned that it does take a while for your brain to get used to the implants as well as tuning the implant in, so good luck with you future with them/it. :mrgreen:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Sat Dec 10, 2022 11:44 pm

foo on patrol wrote:
Sat Dec 10, 2022 1:30 pm
He mentioned that it does take a while for your brain to get used to the implants as well as tuning the implant in, so good luck with you future with them/it.
+1 from a close associate of mine. It takes time. And it's different (she lost her hearing in the one ear in adulthood)
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Sun Dec 11, 2022 8:43 am

+1 from the MIL. Took a bit of time (she was in her mid 70's).

celeste boy

Postby celeste boy » Thu Dec 29, 2022 4:54 pm

Happy to report that the 'headband idea' suggested on John Lewis's post worked for me today. On my first ride after operation.
Needed to borrow headband from 2nd in charge here and probably stretched it.
Thanks again for advice.
By the way: what's with all that beeping on the garmin, bike camera and that clicking sound in the rear wheel when coasting?!!
CB

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Thu Dec 29, 2022 7:55 pm

celeste boy wrote:
Thu Dec 29, 2022 4:54 pm
Happy to report that the 'headband idea' suggested on John Lewis's post worked for me today. On my first ride after operation.
Thanks again for advice.
By the way: what's with all that beeping on the garmin, bike camera and that clicking sound in the rear wheel when coasting?!!
CB
:lol: :lol:

Good to hear. :mrgreen:

Foo
Goal 6000km

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Thu Dec 29, 2022 8:07 pm

celeste boy wrote:
Thu Dec 29, 2022 4:54 pm
Thanks again for advice.
CB

Ah, that's awesome. :D

celeste boy

Postby celeste boy » Thu Dec 29, 2022 8:34 pm

And the beep going on the M5. Is it extra now?