Fear after fall/accident

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
Ride for Life

Fear after fall/accident

Postby Ride for Life » Fri Nov 11, 2022 4:18 pm

Hi, I started road biking about 6 mins ago as another form of fitness, (I am 60) and absolutely loved it. I recently did Around the Bay and got my front tyre caught in a fissure in the road bear a train track. It had a bad crash onto bitumen. Luckily only severe bruising and pain for 3 weeks. I had trained really well for the ride and I am what I would say very fit for my age. I had my first ride back on the road this week and had to get off the bitumen onto a very narrow gravel shoulder section. I felt panicked as I felt I could not ride in gravel in such a narrow part about 12" wide, so I slowed down. My husband was calling out do nor slow down and I ended up falling off again into the gravel, with a cut knee and bruising.
This has made me extremely nervous to ride. Any variation in road surface I become panicked. For example if I move from the road left into a bike lane and there is a bit if a dip or change in the surface like some gravel I want to get off the bike. I went for a 10 minute ride around my suburb today and I was even nervous about the patches of bitumen on the road to mend holes.
I am not confident anymore that I can control the bike or trust the bike on these surfaces. It is a ladies Giant with thin tyres.
I am devastated as in my months of training I did not fall once. I loved it so much, but I am worried this fear of road surfaces will keep me off the bike forever. Any help appreciated

redsonic

Re: Fear after fall/accident

Postby redsonic » Fri Nov 11, 2022 7:29 pm

Welcome to the forum, and I'm sorry to hear the joy of cycling has dimmed for you. Why don't you think about taking a beginner course in mountain biking? Or, perhaps some coaching in same from a friend? You would learn to deal with loose and rough surfaces on a bike designed to handle the rough stuff, at speeds that are unlikely to end in pain if you do fall.
Just a thought...

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Fri Nov 11, 2022 8:26 pm

It sounds like you enjoy road riding.
A bike that can go well on the road is a gravel bike.
It is however more versatile in what it can handle as it is designed to have clearance for wider tyres.
Wider tyres improve traction and are less liable to be trapped in uneven road surfaces.

I have the male version of this;

https://www.liv-cycling.com/au/devote-advanced-2

Were I to only have one bike now that would be it.

I have 2 sets of wheels. One with 40mm gravel tyres and the other with wide road tyres. So comfy and versatile. :)
Dogs are the best people :wink:

LateStarter

Postby LateStarter » Fri Nov 11, 2022 8:49 pm

Couple of years ago I got hit by a truck, helicopter ambulance, 6 weeks in hospital, more broken bones than I knew existed and I have no memory of the 10 minutes before the "accident" , the "accident" and for about a week after, was 67 at the time so a bit of a slower recovery, I can still feel a bit anxious at times but had to decide if I wanted to still ride (I also greatly enjoyed it)

The advice was that I had to de-sensitise myself, build up confidence by riding in places I felt safe, away from motor vehicles at first and then quieter areas then more busy, relearn the joy of riding. I am not yet back to where I would like to be but can manage 150km rides and planning longer. I also got a smart trainer to help with recovering fitness so that when I was on the road it would not be too much of a limitation (I am still slow though).

Only you can do it, you have to make up your mind that it is going to be great and you have to make it happen, other people might offer well meant help but sometimes it isn't helpful, sometimes It is best to practice on your own or sometimes with others, we all differ, you will be nervous, you will make mistakes, it will be difficult but if you want it to happen it will be worthwhile, some professional assistance (psychological, coaching) might help with the tricks of getting on with it, good luck.

(PS, wider tires are a positive benefit)
Bill (Long Distance Dreamer)
2008 Cannondale Touring 2, 2013 Vivente World Randonneur, 2015 Lynskey Sportive Disc

Ride for Life

Postby Ride for Life » Fri Nov 11, 2022 8:57 pm

warthog1 wrote: It sounds like you enjoy road riding.
It is however more versatile in what it can handle as it is designed to have clearance for wider tyres.
Wider tyres improve traction and are less liable to be trapped in uneven road surfaces.

I have 2 sets of wheels. One with 40mm gravel tyres and the other with wide road tyres. So comfy and versatile. :)
warthog1 wrote: It sounds like you enjoy road riding.

Ride for Life

Postby Ride for Life » Fri Nov 11, 2022 9:00 pm

Thank you so much for your reply. Apologies for the typo's also. I have thought about wider tyres and think I would definately feel more comfortable riding with them. I have been told that I cannot fit wide tyres to my bike so will definately investigate a gravel bike. A family member said I need to learn better riding skills rather than change the bike! I am really grateful for your reply.

Ride for Life

Postby Ride for Life » Fri Nov 11, 2022 9:08 pm

Hi Bill (late starter) Your return to riding is inspirational, I am going to start RPM classes as soon as I can to maintain fitness or buy my biwn stationary bike. I am very motivated to keep fit and I have to say I have never felt better in my life than when I was training for the Bay ride. Amazing what that cardio exercise and Vitamin D does for you. I am probably more comfortable trying on my own first after investigating wider tyres. Thank you so much for showing me that it does not have to be the end of something I love.

Ride for Life

Postby Ride for Life » Fri Nov 11, 2022 9:14 pm

Thank you redsonic for your suggestion about mountain biking. I would definately give it a try if I could. I have two family members who have road bikes, hubby and son. Both have bikes with wider tyres but are for road work. I really appreciate your advice.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Fri Nov 11, 2022 9:17 pm

Ride for Life wrote:
Fri Nov 11, 2022 9:00 pm
Thank you so much for your reply. Apologies for the typo's also. I have thought about wider tyres and think I would definately feel more comfortable riding with them. I have been told that I cannot fit wide tyres to my bike so will definately investigate a gravel bike. A family member said I need to learn better riding skills rather than change the bike! I am really grateful for your reply.
Happy to help :)
Wide tyres will follow imperfections less and track better. They will also roll over rough surfaces better ( as you find on gravel)
Also more comfortable.
Any decent bike shop should let you ride one to see how it feels. Well worth a try.

Here's mine

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sat Nov 12, 2022 9:26 pm

Ride for Life wrote:
Fri Nov 11, 2022 9:14 pm
Thank you redsonic for your suggestion about mountain biking. I would definately give it a try if I could. I have two family members who have road bikes, hubby and son. Both have bikes with wider tyres but are for road work. I really appreciate your advice.

While the bike is different (you have a road bike) the suggestion is still worth looking into. If you are in Sydney, I can recommend Fiona Dick from Chocolate Foot as an outstanding bike handling skills coach. She will happily teach you skills on whatever bike you have, in an environment where tumbles will not be so costly, usually a playing field somewhere. You can book one-on-one sessions if desired, and she is a really good listener.

Learning how to turn a fall into a judo roll is also an important skill, and the bike handling skills she will teach you I have found have the useful side effect of giving you more control during those unplanned dismounts.

The other members' suggestions about easing yourself back in via safer environments at first are spot on, and this has really worked for me when needed.

In relation to gravel and loose surfaces like sand, the trick is not to make any sudden moves, and even just go straight. Stay loose/relaxed (I realise easier said than done after a spill) and focus firnly on staying centred over the bike until you are through it. The bike is going to move around and your capacity to wrest it back to where you want to go is limited, so there's an element of going with the flow until you can find a firmer surface. Tensing up makes this much harder.

If you need to pedal it's OK to sit back down but try to keep your weight back so the front tyre can float a little. It does take a little practice so staying mentally prepared to kick a foot out of your pedal is helpful.

I get lots of practice at this on our local fire trails. The bottoms of the steep chutes are usually sand pits thanks to the erosion effects of heavy rain events. The first time I encountered it I thought some fool council worker had thoughtlessly dumped a load of sand there :lol: I was soon educated by my fellow riders :oops: :lol:

Ride for Life

Postby Ride for Life » Sun Nov 13, 2022 8:39 pm

Thank you so much, your suggestions are great. I particularly thought the suggestion about riding through loose surfaces great. I definitely was not relaxed when riding before my second fall and this did not help.
I have 700 x 23c tyres on the bike and it was second hand through a bike shop when I bought it. I am very keen to return to the bike shop and get bigger tyres if possible.
I know I will just have to bite the bullet and practice to get to where I was before the two accidents.
Thank you for your reply.
I

Mr Purple

Postby Mr Purple » Mon Nov 14, 2022 10:38 am

23mm tyres? Well there's an easy solution to this one!

What bike are you riding? I would go as wide as your tyre clearance allows. When I restarted back at cycling a couple of years back I immediately went back to my default of 23mm wide tyres at 100PSI. Almost went down a couple of times in the same situation you describe - literally just a crack in the road.

Went to 25mm tyres at 80PSI which was all that bike could handle and immediately made if about a thousand times more stable. Moving to 28mm if your bike can handle that would be even better. Also a decent grippy tyre will help (not Gatorskins).

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Nov 14, 2022 10:44 am

Ride for Life wrote:
Sun Nov 13, 2022 8:39 pm
Thank you so much, your suggestions are great. I particularly thought the suggestion about riding through loose surfaces great. I definitely was not relaxed when riding before my second fall and this did not help.
I have 700 x 23c tyres on the bike and it was second hand through a bike shop when I bought it. I am very keen to return to the bike shop and get bigger tyres if possible.
I know I will just have to bite the bullet and practice to get to where I was before the two accidents.
Thank you for your reply.
I
23mm are just too narrow now. 25 (or 26mm for Specialized tyres) or 28mm are far better these days, more comfort and little different to speed.

Ride for Life

Postby Ride for Life » Wed Nov 16, 2022 4:07 pm

Thank you Mr Purple, great advice, so glad someone had a similar experience but it's not good to come off. I ride a ladies Giant small, don't know anything else except tyre size.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Wed Nov 16, 2022 4:31 pm

Mr Purple wrote:
Mon Nov 14, 2022 10:38 am
23mm tyres? Well there's an easy solution to this one!

Went to 25mm tyres at 80PSI which was all that bike could handle and immediately made if about a thousand times more stable. Moving to 28mm if your bike can handle that would be even better. Also a decent grippy tyre will help (not Gatorskins).

I concur. I went from 23mm to 25mm Continental Grand Prix and noticed no difference in speed, but a big improvement in grip and confidence. Running at lower pressure was much more comfortable, and easier on my wheels. By this I mean less need to true them up periodically and maintain spoke tension, and fewer broken spokes over the long term.

Not sure I want to go to 28s, though - they look huuuge - like mountain bike tyres to me :lol:

GP5000s have good grip in the wet. You still need to stay off roadmarking paint (which is prudent even in your car), but I was reminded of their superiority when I was using some Specialized Roubaix 700c x 26mm rubber on my wet weather bike a few months ago on a rainy day. No skin off, thankfully, but it was a long slide and the concrete kerb was filling my view rapidly. :shock:

They were pulled off and some GP5000s swapped in that night. They are soooo much better. :D
Last edited by trailgumby on Wed Nov 16, 2022 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DernyDriver

Postby DernyDriver » Wed Nov 16, 2022 4:47 pm

All good suggestions here.
Tyre width is definately a key thing to change. 23 is too narrow.
I bought my partner a cyclocross / gravel bike ...its basicallly a road bike with drop handlebars but with wider wheel rims and 32mm tyres. She can ride it on the road, on the edge of the road, through loose sand, on grass, bike paths ...anywhere. Those tyres are so forgiving and can go anywhere.
She also now has a road bike with 25 mm tyres for just pure road riding which she enjoys also.

For road riding put some 25mm tyres on your Giant, keep them fairly soft at around 80psi .....but to regain your confidence for now, look into either a mountain bike or a gravel bike with wider tyres.

Its quite common for even elite riders to lose confidence after a crash ...just build confidence up again slowly with some baby steps. You'll get there. Good on you for not giving up !!

Ride for Life

Postby Ride for Life » Thu Nov 17, 2022 8:20 am

Thank you for such great advice! So grateful for this forum. Off to our local bike shop today, with your advice. I do not give up easily!

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Thu Nov 17, 2022 12:57 pm

Ride for Life wrote:
Thu Nov 17, 2022 8:20 am
Thank you for such great advice! So grateful for this forum. Off to our local bike shop today, with your advice. I do not give up easily!

Go you! 8) Love it. :lol:

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Thu Nov 17, 2022 4:04 pm

Ride for Life wrote:
Thu Nov 17, 2022 8:20 am
Please let us know how you go with tyre size on your road bike.
I'd be surprised if it won't fit at least 28mm tyres being a Giant.
They will be significantly better than 23s but the wider the better to get your confidence back.
Interested to know what model of bike you have?

Nobiker

Postby Nobiker » Sun Jan 29, 2023 11:42 am

Ride for Life wrote:
Fri Nov 11, 2022 4:18 pm
I am devastated as in my months of training I did not fall once. I loved it so much, but I am worried this fear of road surfaces will keep me off the bike forever. Any help appreciated
I had a serious incident last February 2022 and I know what the fear is.
During the rehabilitation I bought a 20" folding bike with a step through frame which has a bit wider tyres, not the fat ones and this solution helped me a lot.
Maybe you need a fat bike either a 20" or a 26" one but always with a step through frame.
I also highly advice you ride on bike specific trail paths out of the busy and dangerous roads.

uart

Postby uart » Sun Jan 29, 2023 9:03 pm

Ride for Life wrote:
I had my first ride back on the road this week and had to get off the bitumen onto a very narrow gravel shoulder section. I felt panicked as I felt I could not ride in gravel in such a narrow part about 12" wide.
From what I can tell, you have three basic problems.

1. Not quite enough cycling experience yet to have very good bike handling skills.

2. Tyres too narrow for the terrain you're riding and your level of experience.

3. Perhaps riding on roads that are a little difficult for your level of experience. For example, I would be looking at routes that didn't require you to leave the bitumen and navigate a 12" wide section of gravel, especially on 23c tyres.

Solutions.
1. Get the widest tyres that will fit your bike. You should be at least able to fit 25c, and possibly even 28c. Get quality tyres that roll nicely even at lower pressures (low rolling resistance - ask for advice here before buying!), and run them at a reasonably low pressure.

2. Choose your routes carefully until you build up more confidence and skill level. Always be careful around rail lines or anything that has an edge or uneven surface like that. And never approach anything that has an edge or drop (like a rail line or a curb-driveway access etc) at too shallow of an angle. Generally, the closer that you can get to a perpendicular approach the better.

stevenaaus

Postby stevenaaus » Sat Feb 04, 2023 2:36 pm

Yeah Gravel is scary. You probably need a new bike imho. Not much difference between 23 and 25, and most old roadies don't take 28mm.

Old flatbar hybrids are great, or a gravel roadie if you desire and can afford it but honestly they are so overhyped. Sorry for not reading the whole thread.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sun Feb 05, 2023 12:46 pm

There are a few currently active threads regarding reasonably priced gravel goers.
They dont need to be expensive and generally have clearance for at least 40c tyres which most roadies wont go anywhere near.
Here
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=106170&start=175
viewtopic.php?f=70&t=107171

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun Feb 05, 2023 6:57 pm

uart wrote:
Sun Jan 29, 2023 9:03 pm
Ride for Life wrote:
I had my first ride back on the road this week and had to get off the bitumen onto a very narrow gravel shoulder section. I felt panicked as I felt I could not ride in gravel in such a narrow part about 12" wide.
From what I can tell, you have three basic problems.

1. Not quite enough cycling experience yet to have very good bike handling skills.

2. Tyres too narrow for the terrain you're riding and your level of experience.

3. Perhaps riding on roads that are a little difficult for your level of experience. For example, I would be looking at routes that didn't require you to leave the bitumen and navigate a 12" wide section of gravel, especially on 23c tyres.

Solutions.
1. Get the widest tyres that will fit your bike. You should be at least able to fit 25c, and possibly even 28c. Get quality tyres that roll nicely even at lower pressures (low rolling resistance - ask for advice here before buying!), and run them at a reasonably low pressure.

2. Choose your routes carefully until you build up more confidence and skill level. Always be careful around rail lines or anything that has an edge or uneven surface like that. And never approach anything that has an edge or drop (like a rail line or a curb-driveway access etc) at too shallow of an angle. Generally, the closer that you can get to a perpendicular approach the better.
Tram lines as well for that matter, they can catch bicycle wheels and throw you off. Always cross those at perpendicular angles if at all possible. I've never had problems with those, but I always exercised caution (especially in Innsbruck which has extensive tram network).

I personally wouldn't worry much about rolling resistance, just go for whatever tyre has excellent grip. That's a nice thing to have.

My road bikes can take I think even up to 32mm on the Canyon I believe, certainly 28mm on the S5. Wider tyres are certainly nicer.

23mm now is a shock to use those. :wink:

For the OP, I just yesterday and today did a couple of very tentative short rides on my S5 after being off bikes for a very long time. Not even using cleats, just normal shoes so I could work out how the fit would be and how it feels. Worked that out and today went a little bit further. Still not using cleats yet, I'll leave that until I'm fully cleared to ride. You just have to do things step by step and carefully.

I know that at the moment, I have to step over the bike from one side, not the other - the other side doesn't work well. I guess that will be permanent because one leg is a bit shorter than the other. That's feeling your way back into it.

Someone else mentioned Gatorskins - those tyres are very skittish, not great grip. And for all the talk of puncture protection, just about every time I'd see someone fixing a puncture, it would always seem to be Gatorskins... :roll:

Bunged Knee

Postby Bunged Knee » Sun Feb 05, 2023 7:08 pm

OP haven't been back on this forum from 17th Nov.
ID please? What ID? My seat tube ID is 27.2mm or 31.6mm depending on what bikes I ride today.thanks...