Council Genius Moves - Bikeways

open roader

Re: Council Genius Moves - Bikeways

Postby open roader » Tue Mar 05, 2024 9:10 pm

I occasionally catch up reading this thread from time.

Common theme from all my catch ups is wondering exactly just how did we as homo sapiens become the dominant species on this planet?
3rd class cycling is always better than 1st class walking

Mr Purple

Postby Mr Purple » Sun Apr 21, 2024 12:27 pm

open roader wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 9:10 pm
I occasionally catch up reading this thread from time.

Common theme from all my catch ups is wondering exactly just how did we as homo sapiens become the dominant species on this planet?
I don't know.

Another council genius move today - army fun run (5km/10km) and they must have got permission to close the entire Goodwill Bridge. Now I have no issues with the organisers - I'd much rather them get permission to close the entire bridge than close half of it but use all of it anyway.

However whoever gave them permission to close both Southbank in general to bikes and Grey Street as well needs to be shot.

This led to absolutely no safe way to get from the Southside to the Bicentennial Bikeway. I'm a confident cyclist but ended up having to backtrack to Cordelia Street which is a high speed three lane major road with absolutely no shoulder and no bikeway, with a decent climb in it as well.

I'd imagine there were plenty of riders today who just gave up and went home. Anyone at Brisbane council who looked at the plans for the road closures and thought 'hey, this is fine' needs to ride a bike down Cordelia Street. It's one thing to close Goodwill Bridge for an event, it's another to close every single safe route around Goodwill Bridge at the same time.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun Apr 21, 2024 2:29 pm

Mr Purple wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2024 12:27 pm
However whoever gave them permission to close both Southbank in general to bikes and Grey Street as well needs to be shot.

This led to absolutely no safe way to get from the Southside to the Bicentennial Bikeway. I'm a confident cyclist but ended up having to backtrack to Cordelia Street which is a high speed three lane major road with absolutely no shoulder and no bikeway, with a decent climb in it as well.

I'd imagine there were plenty of riders today who just gave up and went home. Anyone at Brisbane council who looked at the plans for the road closures and thought 'hey, this is fine' needs to ride a bike down Cordelia Street. It's one thing to close Goodwill Bridge for an event, it's another to close every single safe route around Goodwill Bridge at the same time.
They probably thought that you shouldn't ride a bike anyway - or just go ride around the local park and stop playing silly games on roads that are only for motor vehicles. :roll:

Okay, I'm being cynical but nothing would surprise me, particularly if some anti-cycling person gets in a position of power.

Mr Purple

Postby Mr Purple » Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:18 am

This one may not be the council's fault - but they'll be the ones sorting it out.

Some genius has blocked the bikeways completely going both ways on Sylvan Road by putting a mobile sign telling motorists their parking location has changed.

Apparently it is a private business, last I heard is that they'd been fined for illegal parking. This is not good enough, both signs were still there this morning, parked in clearways. It is a very busy bike lane with notoriously aggressive motorists and the arrogance of this move is astounding. Logically you think there would be an immediate towing and hundreds of thousands in fines for anyone doing this, what's to bet they stay there for weeks with no consequences.

I've reported them again and reminded the council that consequences from this sort of behaviour include fatalities.

Mr Purple

Postby Mr Purple » Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:15 pm

To give council their merit, both signs are now gone. Less than 24 hours.

Hopefully someone gets a 'please explain' meeting at some level somewhere.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:17 pm

Mr Purple wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:15 pm
To give council their merit, both signs are now gone. Less than 24 hours.

Hopefully someone gets a 'please explain' meeting at some level somewhere.
excellent