More money for cycleways, Parramatta to CBD link to start

g-boaf

More money for cycleways, Parramatta to CBD link to start

Postby g-boaf » Mon Feb 07, 2022 9:08 am

Retrobyte

Re: More money for cycleways, Parramatta to CBD link to start

Postby Retrobyte » Mon Feb 07, 2022 9:57 am

Absolutely is. Adding a cycleway from Meadowbank/Rhodes to the CBD would fill a big missing link in the now excellent Parra river cycling infrastucture.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Feb 07, 2022 10:06 am

Retrobyte wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 9:57 am
Absolutely is. Adding a cycleway from Meadowbank/Rhodes to the CBD would fill a big missing link in the now excellent Parra river cycling infrastucture.
Absolutely, and the other missing link is between Cumberland Highway and Wallgrove Road along the Great Western Highway. Putting a path along that section of GWH would get a 24/7 link between the current M4 shared path and the M7 cycleway going to North West and South West Sydney.

Prospect Dam is fairly useless now - it will be closed in about 6 weeks for probably months or maybe even longer, and they close it early morning and at night, that's hopeless, often I commutes home I would have to take a detour because it closed at 4:30pm, before I even left work. :roll:

baabaa

Postby baabaa » Tue Feb 08, 2022 11:35 am

Retrobyte wrote:
Fingers crossed this comes good - decades late, but never too late

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Tue Feb 08, 2022 3:24 pm

BNSW had a session with Rob Stokes prior to the portfolio reshuffle. There is cause to be optimistic that the intent is genuinely a result of the Minister internalising the need for greater mode switch to active travel.

Also noted reporting in this morning's SMH of quotes from him indicating an intent to do something about removing legal roadblocks to greater adoption of e-scooters, which are presently illegal to use in NSW outside private property.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Tue Feb 08, 2022 10:57 pm

baabaa wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 11:35 am
Retrobyte wrote:
Fingers crossed this comes good - decades late, but never too late
God I would have used that when I worked in the CBD. Far better than my run through Granville, across the railway bridge then all the way in on Parramatta Road. The area around Five Dock and coming down to the Audi dealer on the left was the bit I least liked, that part was very, very fast. An off road solution would have been a lot more relaxing.

I've never had anything to do with this Minister but I've also got reason to believe he will try to do something positive based on a few things.

duncanm

Postby duncanm » Wed Feb 09, 2022 8:40 am

g-boaf wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 10:57 pm

God I would have used that when I worked in the CBD. Far better than my run through Granville, across the railway bridge then all the way in on Parramatta Road. The area around Five Dock and coming down to the Audi dealer on the left was the bit I least liked, that part was very, very fast. An off road solution would have been a lot more relaxing.
man - that's a pretty sucky route.

I used to do Sth Parramatta to Balmain by using the under-M4 bike path to Duck Creek, Adderly St into SOC, then Concord West, Canada Bay, Lyons Rd then variations through Five Dock.

That was after a couple of years of using Queens Rd.

No way I'd go anywhere near Parramatta Rd.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Feb 11, 2022 9:05 am

Harold Charles Woolfe Scruby's thoughts on this:

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/upg ... l#comments

This is the same Scruby of Mosman who hit a runner with his Mercedes as was reported in newspapers of the time.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Fri Feb 11, 2022 9:47 am

g-boaf wrote:
Fri Feb 11, 2022 9:05 am
Harold Charles Woolfe Scruby's thoughts on this:

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/upg ... l#comments

This is the same Scruby of Mosman who hit a runner with his Mercedes as was reported in newspapers of the time.
At least he's on board with the promoting the 30km/hr rule.

Pedestrian Council of Australia is a one-man band and has very few members - if any - apart from Harold the Headline, and represents mostly nobody. A look at previous financial statements for PCA appears to show nearly all income comes from organising walking events around the city for (from memory) local councils and charities. Income from members is under $100. Most expenditure is on advertising ($600k), but a significant chunk ($300k) is on "consulting" - I suspect Harold's services.

It's one way, I suppose, of creating a retirement income.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Fri Feb 11, 2022 1:22 pm

Hadn't heard from arold screwloose in ages - I assumed either his fax machine had died or he had retired along with his mate drunken, but it seems not.

Fairly typical scrambled thinking - complains that pedestrian buttons have been deactivated & then says they should be removed.

Despite the claim to represent Australia, his area of interest is limited by Mosman, Cleveland St, Eastern Distributor & Anzac Bridge
Anything you can do, I can do slower

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Feb 11, 2022 4:34 pm

duncanm wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 8:40 am
g-boaf wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 10:57 pm

man - that's a pretty sucky route.

I used to do Sth Parramatta to Balmain by using the under-M4 bike path to Duck Creek, Adderly St into SOC, then Concord West, Canada Bay, Lyons Rd then variations through Five Dock.

That was after a couple of years of using Queens Rd.

No way I'd go anywhere near Parramatta Rd.
It’s what you do when you have to get to work quickly. Some saturdays I used to do it 34km/h average speed with very little traffic. It wasn’t the most enjoyable route. Afternoon I’d just jump on the train instead because it was far too busy.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu Mar 10, 2022 6:05 am

I got a letter from the Department responsible around this. Basically a response from a template with bits and pieces added and information on budgets and spending.

I’m still suspicious - change needs to come faster IMO.

I guess the recent rain event probably sets things back.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Apr 06, 2022 6:32 pm

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/why ... 5abb7.html

Preventing road block protests, but the irony is that if there were more alternatives to driving this might not be such a problem.

am50em

Postby am50em » Sat Apr 09, 2022 5:23 am

Castlereagh Street will be transformed into a tree-lined boulevard with outdoor dining and a segregated cycleway.
The 800-metre, two-way cycleway stretching from King to Liverpool streets would provide a “missing link” in the city’s bicycle network.
https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/cyc ... 5ac32.html

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Apr 29, 2022 9:36 am

Cycle way corridors defined - finally:

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/pla ... 5agiy.html

But it hasn’t been signed off by Alan Jones, Ray Hadley yet.

This is very important and sets us up for cycle commuting to be a major transport element. Maps and plans are great, however they have to be built.

As for scruby and his warnings, e-scooters don’t worry me, they have been around long enough in my area and don’t cause too many bothers. If it wasn’t that, Scruby would complain that bikes should have 10km/h speed limits or require rego.

am50em

Postby am50em » Mon May 01, 2023 7:43 am

At least some high level planning for across Sydney.
https://www.transport.nsw.gov.au/operat ... -corridors

Which has link to (March 2023 PDF)
https://www.transport.nsw.gov.au/system ... mmary.pdf