2022 - On the road

MichaelB

Re: 2022 - On the road

Postby MichaelB » Wed Jul 06, 2022 12:32 pm

Yep, some of those repairs can be frustrating in the length of time to repair, I guess as there are many such sites, and the repairs are much more involved to prevent a repeat.

Springbrook was much like that as well. Rode it a couple of times prior to the repair (whilst it was closed) and it was really eerie, but nice.

elantra

Postby elantra » Wed Jul 06, 2022 4:34 pm

MichaelB wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 12:32 pm
Yep, some of those repairs can be frustrating in the length of time to repair, I guess as there are many such sites, and the repairs are much more involved to prevent a repeat.

Springbrook was much like that as well. Rode it a couple of times prior to the repair (whilst it was closed) and it was really eerie, but nice.
https://www.mygc.com.au/major-gold-coa ... o-2-years/

Springbrook road has gone again too.
Another casualty of the February/March rain events.
Springbrook road is one of the iconic Gold Coast hinterland rides. Not really one of my favourites, because it’s lower parts of the ride you are at the mercy of usually unpleasant busy roads.

I prefer Beechmont road climb, but it is also closed by a landslide. Not such a big one, hopefully will be repaired sooner rather than later!

The good news in this part of the world is that a new 24km railtrail should be open by February 2023. It has a lot of promise as a way of combining local attractions, and deserves the support and visitation by any members of the broader cycling community who plan on visiting the Southern Gold Coast and Northern NSW Tweed River area next year :!:

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Jul 06, 2022 4:45 pm

elantra wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 4:34 pm
MichaelB wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 12:32 pm

https://www.mygc.com.au/major-gold-coa ... o-2-years/

Springbrook road has gone again too.
Another casualty of the February/March rain events.
Springbrook road is one of the iconic Gold Coast hinterland rides. Not really one of my favourites, because it’s lower parts of the ride you are at the mercy of usually unpleasant busy roads.

I prefer Beechmont road climb, but it is also closed by a landslide. Not such a big one, hopefully will be repaired sooner rather than later!

The good news in this part of the world is that a new 24km railtrail should be open by February 2023. It has a lot of promise as a way of combining local attractions, and deserves the support and visitation by any members of the broader cycling community who plan on visiting the Southern Gold Coast and Northern NSW Tweed River area next year :!:
PFBB !!! I like riding both, but Beechmont to Binna Burra is the most travelled road when we go up there, and we will be up there in Mid September.

Last time Springbrook was closed, there were a couple of hike a bike sections, but still OK.

How bad is Beechmont ?

Hmm, may have to re-plan some of my rides for September .....

elantra

Postby elantra » Wed Jul 06, 2022 10:06 pm

MichaelB wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 4:45 pm

PFBB !!! I like riding both, but Beechmont to Binna Burra is the most travelled road when we go up there, and we will be up there in Mid September.

Last time Springbrook was closed, there were a couple of hike a bike sections, but still OK.

How bad is Beechmont ?

Hmm, may have to re-plan some of my rides for September .....
Not sure about how “absolute is the Springbrook and Beechmont road closures… from what I have heard the Springbrook landslide is much bigger and more difficult to get around (by pedestrians and cyclists)

I haven’t been to Beechmont for several months.
As you can imagine, I have been incapacitated from riding and driving for all of May and June.
There is a “back” roads up Springbrook (and also Beechmont) but these are ridiculously steep and are usually only done as descents by cyclists.

A quick look at Strava segments suggests an ominous lack of recent patronage on the usual routes up Springbrook or Beechmont…

But might be other reasons for this, we had months of wet weather until the end of May, and then unusually cold weather in June…

But anyway there are other good climbing rides in these parts, such as Tomewin mountain, Canungra to O’Reillys, Piggabeen Rd/ Ecovilage loop, and partly gravel climbs such as Urliup Rd and Cudgera Ck Rd.
A bit further afield, there is good hilly riding north of Kyogle (Lion’s Road), and don’t ignore the classic Brisbane climbs such as Mt Coottha.!

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Thu Jul 07, 2022 1:50 pm

elantra wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 10:06 pm
But anyway there are other good climbing rides in these parts, such as Tomewin mountain, Canungra to O’Reillys, Piggabeen Rd/ Ecovilage loop, and partly gravel climbs such as Urliup Rd and Cudgera Ck Rd.
A bit further afield, there is good hilly riding north of Kyogle (Lion’s Road), and don’t ignore the classic Brisbane climbs such as Mt Coottha.!
Have ridden a few of some of the other routes like O'Reilly's (biut the road surface is really bad) and Tomewin (see one of the routes below)

Mt Coottha is probably a bit of a drive from GC ....

GC to Mt Tomewin & Snapper Point - https://ridewithgps.com/routes/31206546
GC to Advance Lake & Mt Tomewin - https://ridewithgps.com/routes/28348128
Border Raid - https://ridewithgps.com/routes/28339453
Binna Burra - https://ridewithgps.com/routes/22338751
Spring brook & Beechmont - https://ridewithgps.com/routes/26618866

I'll have to see what is happening when the time gets closer and may be just Coast rides !!!

elantra

Postby elantra » Fri Jul 08, 2022 11:41 pm

MichaelB wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 1:50 pm

Have ridden a few of some of the other routes like O'Reilly's (biut the road surface is really bad) and Tomewin (see one of the routes below)

Mt Coottha is probably a bit of a drive from GC ....

GC to Mt Tomewin & Snapper Point - https://ridewithgps.com/routes/31206546
GC to Advance Lake & Mt Tomewin - https://ridewithgps.com/routes/28348128
Border Raid - https://ridewithgps.com/routes/28339453
Binna Burra - https://ridewithgps.com/routes/22338751
Spring brook & Beechmont - https://ridewithgps.com/routes/26618866

I'll have to see what is happening when the time gets closer and may be just Coast rides !!!
Just a few points to add from a local’s perspective :wink:

That biggest circuit you linked to on Ride with GPS, via Numinbah Gap and Springbrook Mtn etc. is currently problematic.
Around Chillingham (NSW) the road is in terrible condition for many km’s, due to various factors. Not likely to be much better any time soon.

Some of the other rides listed are deservedly popular but generally considered to be directional- in other words better in one direction than the other!

As you suspect, Mt Coottha is a long drive from the Gold Coast, and the drive to Bris is usually monumentally unpleasant most days due to congestion .
However the train service to Bris CBD is very useful for cyclists who want to get to do road or MTB rides close to Brisbane - on weekends.
My Coottha is easily accessed from any of the inner city rail stations.
Hope this helps, Cheers

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Tue Jul 12, 2022 12:24 pm

Did a bit of googling.

Looks like Springbrook will be closed for AGES, and on Beechmont, there is a single lane access at the impacted site, and maybe full opening in October ?

Meh, will check closer to the dates and see what the go is ...

elantra

Postby elantra » Mon Jul 18, 2022 11:49 am

MichaelB wrote:
Tue Jul 12, 2022 12:24 pm
Did a bit of googling.

Looks like Springbrook will be closed for AGES, and on Beechmont, there is a single lane access at the impacted site, and maybe full opening in October ?

Meh, will check closer to the dates and see what the go is ...
Was in the area over the weekend so thought I’d have a look at Springbrook Road landslide.
But was unable to get that far due to elaborate road closures.

“usually” when roads are closed due to various forms of weather damage the possibility of getting around it on foot or bicycle remains (not necessarily advocating this)
But Qld Gov has gone to great efforts to eliminate this option here!
There are 2 such barriers on the downhill side, I was able to get around the first one but not the second…
Had to “go bush” which was fun enough but in another month the joe blakes (snakes) will be out and about again so wouldn’t be a good idea.
As if was I did have to negotiate with a rather large golden orb spider.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Mon Jul 18, 2022 12:40 pm

Cheers for the update.

Yes, I got around the Springbrook one last time by doing a bit of bush deviation, but that looks like another level !!

elantra

Postby elantra » Wed Aug 10, 2022 1:03 am

The road closure situation in the Gold Coast hinterland is only improving in dribs and drabs.
I believe that it is now possible to ride up to Beechmont and Binna Burra again.
But it’s not on my to do list there have been some recent instances of ugly driving behaviour on that road.

Pictured above is Tyalgum Rd.
Has been closed by a large landslip for several months. There has been no temporary road access constructed around the slippage and so the road will probably remain closed to cars for another year, which is bad news for residents of Tyalgum.

The slight good news is that bicycles and perhaps motorcycles can get around the barriers.
A complex set of barriers have been put in place but local people make slight adjustments to these barriers to make it easier for pedestrians and 2 wheel vehicles to get around them.

This section of road was used for an elite level road race last weekend. From Solomons Rd to the barriers and back was the Team Time Trial course for the “Battle of the Border” weekend road racing event. The quiet and scenic road made great conditions for the 24km time trial.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:36 am

Cheers Elantra, so to do a ride there from GC - head to Tweed and then head up via Murwillumbah and Eugella ?

elantra

Postby elantra » Wed Aug 10, 2022 1:17 pm

MichaelB wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:36 am
Cheers Elantra, so to do a ride there from GC - head to Tweed and then head up via Murwillumbah and Eugella ?
Yes but local knowledge and Strava should guide your route
https://www.strava.com/routes/2992285402598866836
This is how I would do it, Strava mapping from Coolangatta airport.
There are other ways of course, but alternatives are with greater distance or more hostile traffic conditions.
Return could be same way, although locals sometimes avoid much of Terranora Road climb by taking an alternative parallel road called Macauley’s Rd, which is less busy and less steep, but has unsealed section which is Ok to climb on but not so Ok to descend on !

elantra

Postby elantra » Fri Sep 02, 2022 8:00 pm

2022 - August was pretty good around here.
In August here it is usually possible to go out riding all day, which is a luxury that is usually impossible to do in summer and autumn.
Just gotta accept some pain early in the morning,
If there’s frost on the ground don’t do it, wait an hour or two for it to warm up!

Did an “all day on the bike” ride the other day. Loved most of it.
Started in Murwillumbah NSW and headed west to Kyogle, battling the morning cold and rather (?very) mediocre road conditions.

After Kyogle, weather and road conditions improved a lot, so easy riding most of the way to Woodenbong.
Unfortunately before woodenbong fatigue was setting in at the same time as a long climb.

Struggled to get to Woodenbong, but did, so then sat down in a cafe for an hour- or more !
Back on the bike for the next 3 hours and felt the best that I had felt all day.
Weather was perfect and road conditions were undulating sealed roads with very little motor traffic and occasional roadworks/ new road surfaces. Some huge potholes but not hard to ride around these at bicycle speed.
Arrived for an overnight stay in Killarney Qld feeling pleasantly tired, after 178 km and 9 and a half hrs in the saddle.
Wish I could do rides like this more often.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Sat Sep 03, 2022 10:33 am

Sounds like a grand day out !!

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Sep 03, 2022 5:35 pm

elantra wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 8:00 pm
2022 - August was pretty good around here.
In August here it is usually possible to go out riding all day, which is a luxury that is usually impossible to do in summer and autumn.
Just gotta accept some pain early in the morning,
If there’s frost on the ground don’t do it, wait an hour or two for it to warm up!

Did an “all day on the bike” ride the other day. Loved most of it.
Started in Murwillumbah NSW and headed west to Kyogle, battling the morning cold and rather (?very) mediocre road conditions.

After Kyogle, weather and road conditions improved a lot, so easy riding most of the way to Woodenbong.
Unfortunately before woodenbong fatigue was setting in at the same time as a long climb.

Struggled to get to Woodenbong, but did, so then sat down in a cafe for an hour- or more !
Back on the bike for the next 3 hours and felt the best that I had felt all day.
Weather was perfect and road conditions were undulating sealed roads with very little motor traffic and occasional roadworks/ new road surfaces. Some huge potholes but not hard to ride around these at bicycle speed.
Arrived for an overnight stay in Killarney Qld feeling pleasantly tired, after 178 km and 9 and a half hrs in the saddle.
Wish I could do rides like this more often.

So the hurt factor stepped in after Grevillia for the final climb to the T intersection where you turned right to Brisbane or left to Woodenbong? :?:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sat Sep 03, 2022 7:42 pm

Looking pretty lean (and happy) there Elantra 8)
Dogs are the best people :wink:

elantra

Postby elantra » Sat Sep 03, 2022 11:04 pm

warthog1 wrote:Looking pretty lean (and happy) there Elantra 8)
Yeah I was grinning like a Cheshire Cat :lol:
foo on patrol wrote: …..
So the hurt factor stepped in after Grevillia for the final climb to the T intersection where you turned right to Brisbane or left to Woodenbong? :?:

Foo
It’s not a formidable climb these days- according to Strava, from the last crossing of the Richmond river (it’s only a creek this far upstream) to the T junction is about 7km at a fairly steady 4.1 percent gradient. But at the hottest part of the day and after 115 km of riding, it wasn’t a walk in the park.
Highly recommended !

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Tue Sep 27, 2022 4:06 pm

Had some corker days whilst on the GC, but sadly the two main climbs that I'd normally done were closed due to land slips from Feb/Mar. So coastal rides it was !!

Also had a few days of crappy weather, but sill had some great days. Drivers were another matter ....

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Mon Nov 07, 2022 11:37 am

Had a pretty crap weekend for a variety of reasons, but since the good weather has returned, got an early ride in this morning and had a beautiful sunrise.
Pic doesn't quite capture the colours, and whilst it didn't change the weekend, it was a nice start to the day

elantra

Postby elantra » Thu Nov 10, 2022 7:24 pm

Had some nice weather up north here recently.

But the creeks are often full after only moderate rains - because there has been record rainfall so far this year and the water tables are full

Love this old bike, it’s great on gravel roads.
Not my favourite bike for sealed roads, but the few gravel roads around here are the best places to ride if you like to escape from the madding crowd…

Gear changing on this bike is silky smooth, rather surprising given its diverse components :
Shimano 6 sp freewheel and 9 sp chain, Suntour RD, Campagnolo FD, SRAM (Truvativ) chainrings etc.
Last edited by elantra on Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

elantra

Postby elantra » Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:28 am

Excitement is mounting for the opening of the first stage of the Northern Rivers Railtrail (NRRT) !!!

Long sections of this stage are now rideable and all the local riders young and old are coming out of the woodwork to see it.

The first stage of the NRRT is 24 km from the old South Murwillumbah Railway Station, and passes through the villages of Stoker’s Siding, Burringbar, and Mooball. Where there are refreshments and toilet facilities etc.
And accomodation options and even a bike shop (at the Mur’bah and Mooball ends)

Eventually the Railtrail will extend all the way to Cassino, on the Richmond River, and will be 130 km in length and has the potential to rival Murray to the Mountains Railtrail (in Victoria) and the Brisbane Valley Railtrail as one of Australia’s finest.

Here are some recent pics

The last pic is taken at the Tweed Regional Art Gallery, which contains the permanent Margaret Olley Art Collection, including much of the Sydney Terrace House in which she spent decades of her life.
The Art Gallery is connected to the Railtrail by a short access path and is only a few km away from its start.
The Art Gallery is set in a beautiful location on a portion of land that was gifted by the late Doug Anthony, who was a local resident and Deputy Prime Minister of Australia during the 1970’s.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Nov 30, 2022 1:33 pm

Looks great. Using the railway makes it very manageable as there are no steep pitches or hairpin corners.

Looks nice and wide too !

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Wed Nov 30, 2022 2:43 pm

Eppalock is still full

Dogs are the best people :wink:

elantra

Postby elantra » Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:15 pm

MichaelB wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 1:33 pm
Looks great. Using the railway makes it very manageable as there are no steep pitches or hairpin corners.

Looks nice and wide too !
Yes it’s looking too good to be true.
People are “comparing” it to the Brisbane Valley Railtrail, which although not really far away as the crow flies (about 120 km) is a drier and more sparsely vegetated landscape, with more unabridged gullies to be negotiated, etc

The Tweed Valley Railtrail will have all gully’s spanned with either new pedestrian-style bridges and one of the historic Railway bridges renovated and given railings as required. So there are no steep gradients at all, except for a staircase which is being built for direct access from the Railtrail to the Margaret Olley Art Gallery (which is atop a small hill)

Because some of the bridges are yet to be lifted into place, the Railtrail is not going to be officially open for another 2 months approx.
But parts of it are now useable on the weekends, when there is no active construction work.
The official directive is that the trail should not be used until it is fully open, but people are already using it and if legitimate users (cyclists, pedestrians, family groups etc) are on the trail on the weekends then this gives less opportunity for illegal destructive activities to occur on the trail (motorbikes, hooning and 4WD vehicles etc.)

Dreams V Reallity

Postby Dreams V Reallity » Mon Jan 01, 2024 2:51 pm

find_bruce wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:31 am
Part way up Mt Macedon
I didn't make it to the 16% pitch. Officially I ran out of time to descend in daylight, but the unkind may suspect there were other reasons involved
It's a long time since 1980, when my mates (high school) rode up Mt Macedon, from Sunbury. Great ride, not everyone pedalled the whole way, took the bridle track. First time I saw the view from the cross.
Really fast descent, don't remember the speed, but we burnt out a couple of light dynamos using them as 'brake assistance'. Stopping at the shop took some effort (brakes wise), but having a Mars Bar while waiting for the rest of the group was relaxing.
D V R
Still Dreaming.