Norco Fluid FS 3 vs Nukeproof Scout 290 Comp

Ducko0

Norco Fluid FS 3 vs Nukeproof Scout 290 Comp

Postby Ducko0 » Tue Oct 19, 2021 4:18 pm

I am looking at getting myself my proper mountain bike, and want your opinion on 2 bikes I am looking at. I live in Sydney and am wanting a bike mainly to do trail riding. I am looking for an all-around good bike but can't decide between the Norco Fluid FS 3 and the Nukeproof Scout 290 Comp. my budget is around 2500 AUD (1,860 USD) but am happy to go a little over if there is another bike that you would recommend more. do you think that the better fork on the Scout outways the benefits of a duel suspension?

Mububban

Re: Norco Fluid FS 3 vs Nukeproof Scout 290 Comp

Postby Mububban » Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:40 pm

Ducko0 wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 4:18 pm
I am looking at getting myself my proper mountain bike, and want your opinion on 2 bikes I am looking at. I live in Sydney and am wanting a bike mainly to do trail riding. I am looking for an all-around good bike but can't decide between the Norco Fluid FS 3 and the Nukeproof Scout 290 Comp. my budget is around 2500 AUD (1,860 USD) but am happy to go a little over if there is another bike that you would recommend more. do you think that the better fork on the Scout outways the benefits of a duel suspension?

The lure of upgrading is very real. While the hardtail looks like an excellent bike, I think you'll regret not buying a dual sus if you're going to ride proper trails. Whether or not you keep or sell the hardtail, I think many many many hardtail buyers end up buying a dual sus. There' a reason most "serious" mountain bikers end up with one - they are awesome!

When my old hardtail cracked its frame, I bought a dual sus, and would never go back UNLESS I had one of each :D Hardtail would be great for longer smoother gravel rides. Dual sus is the king for trail rides, drops and rocky sections etc.
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

Bentnose

Postby Bentnose » Wed Nov 10, 2021 6:32 pm

I don’t see why you need a full sus bike to consider yourself a serious MTB rider, a lot of people buy full sus bikes as their first MTB and never learn to ride properly. I recall my last race in August, constantly getting held up by blokes on their full sus bikes with me on my 100mm (admittedly high end) hard tail wondering what the hold up is.
No signature

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Thu Nov 11, 2021 1:57 pm

Ducko0 wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 4:18 pm
Depends on the terrain. I love hardtails, they are very lively and fun.

However, Sydney varies quite a lot - western Sydney is quite different from, say, the Northern Beaches. Most of the stuff being built around Northern Beaches is full-face helmet double black diamond Enduro territory (to my considerable annoyance), and 150mm travel and up is considered passe. That said, I still enjoy short and mid-travel bikes on the rest of what's around.

Dual suspension will be heavier (especially at that price point), won't pedal quite as well, but will be more stable and forgiving on rougher terrain, not least of which is because of the slacker front geometry, but also the suspension. On longer rides, they don't beat you up nearly as much.