E-Bikers, write your own rules

ColinOldnCranky

E-Bikers, write your own rules

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:24 am

With emerging products, such as e-bikes, electric scooters etc, policies will eventually be set that affect users of those products.

An example: On Transperth buses, trains and ferries:
Folding bicycles and electric scooters

If your folding bicycle or scooter has small wheels and is in a bag no more than 86cm long, 68cm high and 36cm wide, you may carry it on any bus, train or ferry service.
,"Bicycles on Transperth Services"
On the other hand, and on the same web page...
Unicycles
Space permitting, you may carry a chainless unicycle on any bus, train or ferry. Please consider your fellow passengers by keeping your unicycle out of aisles and off seats that others need.
Prior to specific policy, unicycles were treated as bikes - no peak hour carriage on trains, vagueness wrt entry into buses. No fun at all for unicyclists. And yet no adequate reason for those restrictions to apply to unicycles.

It looks to me that scooters are no more a problem unbagged than are unicycles. So how do I get away with it while scooter riders do not?

I suggest that around the time that foldup scooters came onto the market a few bureaucrats got together over a couple of meetings and made what they thought were reasonable steps for the benefit of other passengers, with perceived difficulties on their mind. Likely they had plenty of other issues on their plate and so relied on their own common sense rather than tedious and time consuming consultation and drafting.

And what they came up with became policy. And was published accordingly.

Once that policy is in place, good luck getting it changed to something more nuanced and workable!

On the other hand, if someone with some forethought who rides a scooter, had approached Transperth BEFORE a policy was enacted, they may have come up with a policy that suited riders better without adversely affecting others.

And that is how the policy on carriage of unicycles was developed. A policy that is friendly to unicyclists and to fellow passengers. And importantly, attractive to overworked bureaucrats who only had to assess a draft prepared by someone else.

so, what about e-bikers etc

E-bikes, hoverboards, electric scooters and whatever is new this Christmas are still in their infancy. You guys, the users of these things, could get in front of the game, draft some sensible workable policies to submit to authorities - transport, local government, state government, university campuses, etc.

Because once THEY set a policy, it will be set in concrete.

It SHOULD go without saying that such dealings need to be carried out respectfully, patiently, an ability to see all sides of an argument, anticipate the other sides problems.

AND a willingness to compromise. Bulls do NOT belong in china shops.

Now, I gotta hang up and catch that bus out front. WITH MY UNICYCLE. :D
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle