Does anyone have experience with Naked Optics sunglasses?

coolski

Does anyone have experience with Naked Optics sunglasses?

Postby coolski » Mon Aug 30, 2021 2:30 pm

Hi,

I'm a cycling newbie and am after some gear advice. I am have been trying to find affordable sunglasses that also offer quality and protection. I came across Naked Optics sunglasses via an Instagram sponsored post. There are two models, Hawk and Falcon, that they advertise specifically for cycling. The links are below. Does anyone have experience with their sunglasses????

https://nakedoptics.com.au/products/the-hawk
https://nakedoptics.com.au/products/the-falcon

Thanks in advance.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Does anyone have experience with Naked Optics sunglasses?

Postby AUbicycles » Tue Aug 31, 2021 6:38 am

Be careful of these cool new brands. On the one gand, yes, they have the modern looks but the issue is always the lens quality. In short, distortion which can magnify and shift the view. Your brain does a good job of correcting these and I don’t know if it then an eye strain, but the permanent correcting is tiring for the eyes. This is where a number of brand name glasses come out in front and do much better in the clarity and precision… or in summary, the quality of the lens.

For me, I would want to test them first before buying… otherwise, if that isn’t important, there are a heap of online brands with simple lenses and cool looks for less.
Cycling is in my BNA

coolski

Postby coolski » Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:08 pm

Thank you for the feedback. I did find one review, but it is based on the Falcon's use in ski touring. The review does comment on the lens quality and verifies the specs on the website. I assume these test results would transfer over to cycling. Would that be safe to assume?

https://snowaction.com.au/spring-is-spr ... n-sunnies/

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Sat Sep 25, 2021 6:52 pm

Tough to know, lenses would be from the same supplier but different lenses can have different levels of quality and we probably have a reviewers point of view / preference. From experience testing, I don’t do lab tests but specicifically look out for distortion and have gained a good feel over time for noticing these.

The brain still compensates and sometimes you just have to go for it. In the case of Sungod, they put a lot of effort into marketing and looked the part but the cycling glasses I tested were very average in production quality and the lens quite poor in comparison. Siroko was the same, look great but some fundamental flaws.
Cycling is in my BNA

coolski

Postby coolski » Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:18 pm

Thank you for all your advice. I took your advice and jumped in the deep end and gave them a go. I bought the HAWK model with blue lens. They fit really nice to my face and are real comfortable to wear. I hardly notice I am wearing them. And the magnetic sweatband catches the sweat before it goes into my eyes or causes the lenses to fog up. I haven't noticed any distortion at all. In fact the polarised lenses are amazing at cutting out the glare.

Thank you again for all your advice :D . Happy Cycling!

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:37 am

Very cool.

The techniquie for checking lens distortion is you hold the glasses maybe 5-8cm from your face, look through the center and focus on a point. Then move the lens left and right (focusing on the same point). Do the same angling tge lens up down.

Good lenses have no / mininal movement.

Poorer lenses will have a shift and bad lenses have a wavey effect.

Also check the magnification (shift lenses on and off field of view).

Even if you spot anything, your brain will even it out, but it creates an eyestrain so less distortion / interferance is best.
Cycling is in my BNA

coolski

Postby coolski » Wed Nov 03, 2021 2:03 pm

Thanks for the advice. I checked the lens distortion in different lighting and different environments using your method. I'm happy to say there is no movement that I can spot. I also checked the magnification and I don't spot any issues.

Thank you again for your advice, this makes me feel good that I made a really good purchase. I saved myself quite a bit of money on other expensive alternatives. They don't have distortion, look great and I got to save. Thanks for making me feel better about my purchase :)