Gravel tyres

warthog1

Gravel tyres

Postby warthog1 » Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:24 am

I have no gravel experience bar a bit of mtb
Considering one of these;
https://www.giant-bicycles.com/au/revolt-advanced-2

There is a long rail trail nearby that goes to Heathcote.
Hard packed fine gravel.
Plenty of graded dirt roads nearby too.
After grip obviously, but speed through lower rolling resistance is important. Will also need to ride a bit of bitumen to get to the dirt on occasion.
Will be going tubeless.
What tyres do people recommend for that?

Considering these so far in no particular order.
Prob a 38 or 40c

https://www.tufo.com/en/gravel/detail/gravel-speedero/

https://www.schwalbetires.com/bike_tires/g-one-allround

https://www.continental-tires.com/bicyc ... erra-speed
Dogs are the best people :wink:

RonK

Re: Gravel tyres

Postby RonK » Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:38 am

My new Grizl came fitted with Schwale G One Bite, but I opted for Pirelli Cinturato Gravel H. Many of my rides are urban and I think they will roll faster in hard surfaces.

I ridden around 200km on them so far and they do roll very nicely. I haven't had the opportunity to try them on gravel yet.

There is also a more grippy M version.

https://www.pushys.com.au/catalogsearc ... gravel%20h

I'll be selling the G One Bite if anyone is interested. 700x45 tan wall. Never used.

Vittoria also now offer my favourite tyre - the Mezcal in 700x35. I'll probably use these or the Terreno Dry next year on my backroads tour in NZ.
Last edited by RonK on Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:42 am, edited 4 times in total.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

caneye

Postby caneye » Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:49 am

Panaracer Gravel King SK is a very popular choice.
I've used it on all the surfaces you mentioned - hard-packed gravel, graded surface, bitumen. Grippy and low rolling resistance. I am on 35mm.

Waiting to try the Vittoria Terreno (when we're allowed outside again). It has gotten some good reviews on the interwebs.

https://www.bikebug.com/vittoria-terren ... -tyre.html

I have also tried the Michelin Power Gravel. Good grip and wear. Only gripe was difficulty mounting it when new. Stock and size also seems to be hard to come by.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:30 am

There's also Maxxis Gravel tyres. An almost unknown on the road scene, but huge in MTB in the U.S. I heard they have 80% of the MTB market and come fitted to many new bikes.

https://www.maxxis.com/int/tires/bicycle/gravel/

Arbuckle23

Postby Arbuckle23 » Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:35 am

Nobody wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:30 am
There's also Maxxis Gravel tyres. An almost unknown on the road scene, but huge in MTB in the U.S. I heard they have 80% of the MTB market and come fitted to many new bikes.

https://www.maxxis.com/int/tires/bicycle/gravel/
I have the Ramblers in 40mm. Although not that many km on them, pretty happy with their grip on gravel and they roll OK on the road.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:44 am

Thanks for the replies.
Good to hear what works.
That gives me some choices :)

Audioio

Postby Audioio » Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:46 am

I have a Revolt. It's the most fun than I've ever had on a bike. I can't claim to be very experienced with tyres, but...

The Cinturatos look intriguing and this fella speaks highly of them: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9i_zb0fm6ok

If you keep the stock wheels, good luck getting Gravel Kings to mount.

Some WTBs might be good, but I found Riddlers wore out super fast.

I ended up going back to Giant's Crosscuts. They're long-wearing, reasonably fast rolling due to the centre tread pattern, and grippy enough in small- to medium-grade gravel and not too heavy mud. Not sure about single track or highly technical stuff, but as I'm a nervous rider I don't do too much of that!

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:51 am

caneye wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:49 am
Panaracer Gravel King SK is a very popular choice.
I've used it on all the surfaces you mentioned - hard-packed gravel, graded surface, bitumen. Grippy and low rolling resistance. I am on 35mm.

Waiting to try the Vittoria Terreno (when we're allowed outside again). It has gotten some good reviews on the interwebs.

https://www.bikebug.com/vittoria-terren ... -tyre.html

I have also tried the Michelin Power Gravel. Good grip and wear. Only gripe was difficulty mounting it when new. Stock and size also seems to be hard to come by.
Rated highly here
https://road.cc/content/review/panarace ... yre-227022

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:53 am

Audioio wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:46 am
I have a Revolt. It's the most fun than I've ever had on a bike. I can't claim to be very experienced with tyres, but...

The Cinturatos look intriguing and this fella speaks highly of them: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9i_zb0fm6ok

If you keep the stock wheels, good luck getting Gravel Kings to mount.

Some WTBs might be good, but I found Riddlers wore out super fast.

I ended up going back to Giant's Crosscuts. They're long-wearing, reasonably fast rolling due to the centre tread pattern, and grippy enough in small- to medium-grade gravel and not too heavy mud. Not sure about single track or highly technical stuff, but as I'm a nervous rider I don't do too much of that!

Bugger. Will be to start with.

robbo mcs

Postby robbo mcs » Mon Aug 09, 2021 8:39 pm

I currently have the schwalbe G one allround. The grip is good. However, to me they feel “dead”, and heavy, and roll incredibly slowly on the tar. I thought it was just me, but then bicycling rolling resistance did a test which pretty much confirmed my thoughts https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.c ... e-allround

As an interesting comparison, my touring bike I have schwalbe marathon almotion, and this is actually on the same rim as my g one’s. The almotion feels so much more lively, and rolls much, much more quickly on the tar. On dirt roads the almotion also does very well. It would have less grip than the g one in wet conditions, I think, and definitely not a singletrack type tyre

peter

Postby peter » Mon Aug 09, 2021 8:52 pm

I was considering Conti Terra Speed, the tread pattern is similar to Giant Crosscut Gravel which comes with the Revolt, so I went with something different and wider.

Now that I have tried 45c, probably would not go back to 40c, there are limited choice. Will give Pirelli Cinturato a go next time.

caneye

Postby caneye » Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:24 am

I tried 45c WTB Riddler last year. It was overkill for the type of surface I ride on (fire trails & graded roads). I'm now riding on 35c rear and 37c front.

I've found all the gravel tyres (being tubeless ready) a PITA to mount on the rim (DT Swiss E511) for the first time. Gets easier once they have stretched, but the first attempt is often the longest ..

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Tue Aug 10, 2021 12:18 pm

I have a few wheelsets for my gravel bike

For commuting which is as little road as I can, hard packed gravel road, non technical single track, sealed bike paths and the occasional !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !!, rocky tracks I use 43c Gravel King SStubeless. Roll well and good grip although can be a little bit sketchy cornering on loose surface over 30km/hr and can be fun getting grip in the mud https://www.scvimports.com.au/product-g ... ss/product

When its more off road than sealed I use Gravel King SK's or for current conditions when the single tracks are mud, still rolls well but wears a bit quicker than the SS
“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Tue Aug 10, 2021 1:16 pm

Have been fitting a lot of the Vittoria Terreno Dry tyres for gravel riders, most often in 38mm. Most people seem to really like them.

They set up for tubeless very nicely (in my experience) and are affordable. Also, bonus points for coming in a tan wall variant...

Campagnolo for show, SunTour for go

baabaa

Postby baabaa » Tue Aug 10, 2021 5:32 pm

There is a long rail trail nearby that goes to Heathcote.
Hard packed fine gravel.
Plenty of graded dirt roads nearby too.
After grip obviously, but speed through lower rolling resistance is important. Will also need to ride a bit of bitumen to get to the dirt on occasion.
Will be going tubeless.
What tyres do people recommend for that?
Hooked or hookless rims?
Sand, dirt or mud?
Summer wet or winter dry?
Step pebbly declines or long, slow declines of corrugated wash outs?
Your weight and the PSI that suits you and then the bike handling?
Will you need to go taller or smaller gearing for the rides you like to do? ( think traction)
The list goes on and on and the range of "Gravel" tyres grows by the week...

Still think we do not have an ideal bike tyre for Aust conditions as WA pea gravel is just not the same as east coast clay fire trials or black soil mud.
Just run what it comes with till they are ready to bin and then work out what sort of rides you enjoy. The tyres you need will just float to the surface and be an easy choice.
Bet you will have fun once you get away from cars, ride much slower than you thought and wont even think about what sort of tyres you feel you should be running. (Just yesterday, I saw a set of my tread tracks from about three months ago - only the roos had been on top of them!!- kinda special when you can bike and get far away from the mess that is all things ex humans)
That said, do think a second wheel set helps if you do take to it - summer and winter riding can be very different and a winter set which can run a heavy duty cluster and carry a heap of thick mud rides very differently to a faster geared thin coated dry summer dust....

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Tue Aug 10, 2021 7:22 pm

baabaa wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 5:32 pm

Hooked or hookless rims?
Sand, dirt or mud?
Summer wet or winter dry?
Step pebbly declines or long, slow declines of corrugated wash outs?
Your weight and the PSI that suits you and then the bike handling?
Will you need to go taller or smaller gearing for the rides you like to do? ( think traction)
The list goes on and on and the range of "Gravel" tyres grows by the week...

Predominantly hard packed dirt and graded roads.
If it is muddy I aint interested.
Faster, more than slower
Giant revolt gearing of 48/32 and 34-11 will more than cover it.
I don't see the bottom gear ever being used.

I put 3 tyres up in my first post I think suit those conditions but I have never used any.

Hooked rims I believe, if hookless the contis I linked may be out.
I am aware hookless rims limit some tyres.
Last edited by warthog1 on Tue Aug 10, 2021 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Tue Aug 10, 2021 7:32 pm

warthog1 wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 7:22 pm

Predominantly hard packed dirt and graded roads.
If it is muddy I aint interested.
Faster, more than slower
Giant revolt gearing of 48/32 and 34-11 will more than cover it.
I don't see the bottom gear ever being used.
Actually, this sounds like the ideal mix (i.e. typical Vic gravel roads etc) for the Terreno Dry or the Panaracer Gravel King, both of which have a fairly fast rolling centre section, and pronounced shoulder knobs.
Campagnolo for show, SunTour for go

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Tue Aug 10, 2021 7:59 pm

10speedsemiracer wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 7:32 pm

Actually, this sounds like the ideal mix (i.e. typical Vic gravel roads etc) for the Terreno Dry or the Panaracer Gravel King, both of which have a fairly fast rolling centre section, and pronounced shoulder knobs.
Thanks.
I like the look of the panaracer gravel king more but no experience.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Wed Aug 11, 2021 5:46 am

Not used any but I do like the look of the Tufo's and Vittoria's for what you described Warty. :idea:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

baabaa

Postby baabaa » Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:01 am

I put 3 tyres up in my first post I think suit those conditions but I have never used any.

sorry missed the three links

Tried G One, while ok on very hard dry well graded dirt but the side walls didn't like the stones so went with Donnelly X'Plor USH which are better all rounder for around here. Oddly have Schwalbe Pro One on my sportive which sees a far bit of dirt and these have been very good.
Had a good run with conti light touring in Sth America on rubbish roads so the brand would be a safe bet - not used any of the newer gravel branded spp
Panaracer are just too soft on tar and off and while my bikes are not light weight I am less than 80 kg - had years of life out of Ritchey speedmax vs months of Panaracer cx, not a fan
Would also look at IRC Boken or Ritchey Alpine, both are on my next list

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:05 am

Waiting for my current WTB Riddler to wear out, and when that gets close, will start looking.

Many of the tempting options are out of stock atm !

Currently run the 45mm wide in 700C, and that is more of a function related to the rocky single track routes I ride. 40mm is probably the narrowest I’d go.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:43 am

foo on patrol wrote:
Wed Aug 11, 2021 5:46 am
Not used any but I do like the look of the Tufo's and Vittoria's for what you described Warty. :idea:

Foo
A mate I ride road bunches with has the tufo tyres on his revolt.
I'll see what he says when I catch up with him.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:49 am

baabaa wrote:
Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:01 am

sorry missed the three links

Tried G One, while ok on very hard dry well graded dirt but the side walls didn't like the stones so went with Donnelly X'Plor USH which are better all rounder for around here. Oddly have Schwalbe Pro One on my sportive which sees a far bit of dirt and these have been very good.
Had a good run with conti light touring in Sth America on rubbish roads so the brand would be a safe bet - not used any of the newer gravel branded spp
Panaracer are just too soft on tar and off and while my bikes are not light weight I am less than 80 kg - had years of life out of Ritchey speedmax vs months of Panaracer cx, not a fan
Would also look at IRC Boken or Ritchey Alpine, both are on my next list
Cheers
I am loving my GP5KTL on my TCR.
So am partial to giving their terra speeds a go too.
Anyway, more options than I can poke a stick at now. :)

RonK

Postby RonK » Wed Aug 11, 2021 12:15 pm

You can find comprehensive reviews of gravel tyres and gear by Guitar Ted at Riding Gravel
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Aug 11, 2021 3:56 pm

baabaa wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 5:32 pm
That said, do think a second wheel set helps if you do take to it - summer and winter riding can be very different.....
Agree 100% there.

My Dry/Drier weather set are currently the WTB Riddler 700x45, and then the wet weather set are a pair of Wolfpack MTB tyres.

The dry weather tyres need to roll reasonably well on the road as there is normally 40-50% riding on the road to get to the dirt, but I need the larger size to help with some of the rocky single tracks that I ride.
The Wolfpack tyres were part of a review pair and are the most gravelish MTB tyre they had (2.1" and chunky tread). They roll OK on the road, but are great when it has been raining a bit an the mud just sits on top of the hard packed clay. Initially had then setup as tubeless, but due to reduced riding time, will just run them with tubes.