The 2021 Tokyo Olympic Thread

familyguy

Re: The 2021 Tokyo Olympic Thread

Postby familyguy » Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:00 pm

You could pretty much tell Borghini knew she was 3rd when she finished. So someone was counting bodies coming back from the breaks. Surely with all the broadcasts and comms available someone in Holland could have called the team car and let them know!

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:37 am

A brilliant ride by Anna - a break-away can be a gamble but it paid off. She self-coaches and has taken a very methodical approach to her training. She was with the women's Lotto Soudal team but quite that to study and is also the current women's ITT champ.. not sure of the official status but she was the only Austrian rider in the race while many other riders had teams of 3 or 4.

I think that van Vleuten is naturally disappointed and it was an error. Her team-mate knew there was a rider ahead and it was noted that the Motos showed time-gaps and other team cars came up (or riders dropped back) for information but the Dutch team didn't send any riders back. I wouldn't criticise the missing race radios and while it is different, other grades don't get race radios and it was well known that they were not in the race. It was an oversight by van Vleuten and the team and she is such a great rider, but it is also fantastic to see a different result.
Cycling is in my BNA

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:55 am

I didn't like the demeanour or attitude of the riders in the main bunch. They all seemed to be chatting and smiling to much and not taking it seriously. Yeah enjoy the experience but stay focused on what is going on around you and yes, we'll done to the Austrian girl for her win. She backed herself and stuck it to everyone else. :mrgreen:

Foo
Last edited by foo on patrol on Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

caneye

Postby caneye » Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:37 am

perhaps some tension in the dutch camp .. too many potential winners
https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/dutch- ... gen-didnt/

stevenaaus

Postby stevenaaus » Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:08 pm

How good is that :)

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:40 am

Very! :mrgreen:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

RobertL

Postby RobertL » Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:52 am

RobertL wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:38 pm
I predict that a Dutch woman will win the road race. (I'm a risk taker, I am.)
Good job I'm not a betting man!

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:17 pm

RobertL wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:52 am
RobertL wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:38 pm
I predict that a Dutch woman will win the road race. (I'm a risk taker, I am.)
Good job I'm not a betting man!
:lol: same here!
Dogs are the best people :wink:

stevenaaus

Postby stevenaaus » Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:06 pm

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:04 pm

Amazing by Roglic in the time trial, huge winning margin. Nice to see Rohan Dennis getting the bronze but you have to think no-one was beating Roglic today.

Tough course.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:24 pm

Roglic was very smart with how he rode it and Rohan Dennis was smooth but just lacked that little bit of extra punch but still it was a good ride by him. :wink:

Foo
Goal 6000km

rapunzel

Postby rapunzel » Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:07 pm

RobertL wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:35 pm
DavidS wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:46 pm
Retrobyte wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:57 am
I suppose as usual we won't see much cycling live because Seven will prefer to show gymnastics and hours and hours of swimming.
More like hours and hours of talking heads, puff pieces on the host country, replays of Aussie glory etc ad nauseum.

I just want them to show sport. They have half a dozen channels and you can barely find any sport even with 20 events happening at once.

I just don't understand why they do this, it is a sporting event, if I want to watch a talk show I'll watch a talk show.

DS
I attended the Sydney Olympics as a (badminton) official. We stayed in one of the Uni accommodation colleges. In the main lounge room area they had a dozen or so big screens showing the live feed from each of the sports. Just the TV feed from the site, no commentary, no breaks, but with all the action replays etc.

It was like I had died and gone to heaven.
This. This is pretty close to my desire, too.
I want to see people at the top of their game, doing their thing. When I first arrived in Aus and saw my first first Olympic coverage by local tv here.... little coverage of sports Aus not involved in, little reporting on overall performances of various levels or even reporting things like, shock horror, the silver and bronze placings in a sport.
So disappoint.
So expected now after living here for a while.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:14 pm

Beach volleyball on now :)

rapunzel

Postby rapunzel » Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:24 pm

warthog1 wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:14 pm
Beach volleyball on now :)
I hope they all start wearing shorts.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:26 pm

The Aussies are winning! :)

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:29 pm

If they want to wear shorts it is ridiculous that they should be fined for doing so.

rapunzel

Postby rapunzel » Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:43 pm

warthog1 wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:29 pm
If they want to wear shorts it is ridiculous that they should be fined for doing so.
Imagine the loss of income if you choose not to. Imagine how women in sport are actually paid **cough** sponsored **cough**
Hopefully not...
Imagine.
I know many of these sports are not viewed in between Olympics games. So money from sponsors is even more important when the Games are on. Not sure how many are influenced by forced uniform indications as now, vs competition for sponsors, etc.

I wonder how many of the men’s sports have the guys waxing up to their anus. Swimming ?

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:06 am

Fair enough.
Hadn't considered any of that tbh.
I just enjoyed watching it and thought others might to.
That took the edge off it I guess.

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:25 am

rapunzel wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:07 pm
RobertL wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:35 pm
DavidS wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:46 pm

More like hours and hours of talking heads, puff pieces on the host country, replays of Aussie glory etc ad nauseum.

I just want them to show sport. They have half a dozen channels and you can barely find any sport even with 20 events happening at once.

I just don't understand why they do this, it is a sporting event, if I want to watch a talk show I'll watch a talk show.

DS
I attended the Sydney Olympics as a (badminton) official. We stayed in one of the Uni accommodation colleges. In the main lounge room area they had a dozen or so big screens showing the live feed from each of the sports. Just the TV feed from the site, no commentary, no breaks, but with all the action replays etc.

It was like I had died and gone to heaven.
This. This is pretty close to my desire, too.
I want to see people at the top of their game, doing their thing. When I first arrived in Aus and saw my first first Olympic coverage by local tv here.... little coverage of sports Aus not involved in, little reporting on overall performances of various levels or even reporting things like, shock horror, the silver and bronze placings in a sport.
So disappoint.
So expected now after living here for a while.
Yep, this is Australian sports TV, almost nationilistic. There are multiple sports we are not taking part in that are well worth watching. But hey, let's show every swimming heat while the every other sport gets ignored. It was worse when we didn't have the ability to stream multiple feeds, when they would cut something for a swimming heat for a 200m event and all the lead-in and post-swim interviews, thereby missing a lot of good action.

I reckon we could get a great handball team going with our talents in basketball, AFL and most codes of football who might switch over.

Jim

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:31 pm

7Plus is helping, just a pity the NBN relies on 19th century technology from the node to my house (HFC). Sometimes it is ok, other times it freezes and the resolution is blurry.

Watched some of the team fencing today (sabre I think) which was Italy v France and very exciting. Wish I understood more but nice to see a sport we never see.

DS

JPB

Postby JPB » Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:30 pm

DavidS wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:31 pm
7Plus is helping, just a pity the NBN relies on 19th century technology from the node to my house (HFC). Sometimes it is ok, other times it freezes and the resolution is blurry.

Watched some of the team fencing today (sabre I think) which was Italy v France and very exciting. Wish I understood more but nice to see a sport we never see.

DS
I gave up watching the fencing and other small scale, fast action sports via the internet as the clarity and pixalation made it too hard to see what was really going on.
But I am loving being able to use the 7plus app and getting a range of sports to watch, I love watching handball and hockey and the scale of the action is big enough that pixalation does not impact it too badly.

Plus the canoeing as that was the sport I was best at and I know the intricacies of what they are doing.

caneye

Postby caneye » Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:49 pm

I'm very impressed with the 7Plus app. Been glitch-free so far.
The only issue I've encountered was last week - table tennis channel - showing the stadium feed (bird's eye view) instead of the match feed.

I've been able to catch most of the kookaburras and olyroos games so I'm stoked. Don't get to watch much field hockey on free-to-air channels, not even the Champions Trophy tournament, so being able to pick and choose your match is a big bonus!

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:50 pm

BMX - how dumb are the rules. Its just pure luck who wins the medals. Our girl Saya was well ahead in first position in the semi run. First 4 to final. On the last bend a US girl in second place tries to overtake (why?) and just annihilates Saya and they both come off. Saya gets taken off on a stretcher and gets listed as last on the results.
Apparently that's fine and within the rules. Saya is out, doesnt get another chance, the US girl says sorry and everything is sweet.
What the actual ****

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:03 pm

I Haven't gotten into the Olympics in any real way apart from catching the odd bit here and there. The 'catch-up' on 7+ is behind the actual dates of events and isn't comprehensive, and hasn't been the most stable.

Can't say I'm a fan of many of the modern events like skateboarding, tennis, golf, surfing etc etc.

Meh.

Exit: Just caught the 2nd Half of the Matildas winning over GB. Bloody brilliant

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:08 am

I don't mind things like skateboarding, tennis, golf, surfing - they are sports.

But breakdancing? Really? That is not a sport and just should not be there.

DS