XC tyre recommendations

arod

XC tyre recommendations

Postby arod » Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:14 pm

Appreciate recommendations for tyres on my XC bike, width 2.1”- 2.25”.

Usage is ~60% tarmac with the rest on hardpack or rough gravel.

Despite predominant tarmac usage, I’m happy to compromise on rolling resistance a little for a bit of extra hardpack/gravel grip.

Puncture resistance is very important to me (e.g. always used Schwalbe Marathon Plus for commuting).

Any recommendations on tyres? Generally I’ve stuck to Continental or Schwalbe, but can’t decide amongst their various models.

ForkinGreat

Re: XC tyre recommendations

Postby ForkinGreat » Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:09 am

Is your XC bike a 27.5 or 29er ?

Maxxis crossmark II for more grip
Maxxis Ikon for faster rolling.

If you have a 29er, you could use a 700c gravel tyre. Maxxis Rambler EXO/TR in 700c x 50mm could work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krrINXCwdM8

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:42 am

Tubeless with sealant for puncture protection.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:03 pm

ForkinGreat wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:09 am

If you have a 29er, you could use a 700c gravel tyre. Maxxis Rambler EXO/TR in 700c x 50mm could work.
+1. I use Crossmark II as my general-purpose tyres; roll pretty well, and handle a decent range of conditions, but aren't great in really wet muk or big loose rocks (Ikon won't like this stuff either). The Ikon is better-rolling on hard surfaces, but can get sketchy when loose stuff comes into play, and doesn't give a lot of warning when running out of grip.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

ForkinGreat

Postby ForkinGreat » Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:32 pm

hey Duck, I've got an Onza svelte 2.25 front and maxxis pace 2.1 rear on my 29er hardtail gravel frankenbike.

Figures as you say with the Ikon tyre. I don't really trust the pace to grip that much either, when push comes to shove, but it rolls well.

I'm running tubes and Mr Tuffy strips for the extra puncture resistance.

Crossmark II for the front when the Onza wears out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krrINXCwdM8

arod

Postby arod » Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:27 pm

ForkinGreat wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:09 am

29er

Thanks for the suggestions so far

nescius

Postby nescius » Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:18 pm

My XC tyre combination is the Maxxis combo of Ikon on the rear and Ardent Race on the front, both 2.25 wide, both tubeless. I haven't had any trouble with grip, I have been happy with the combination. I don't know how well they would wear with more tarmac usage though.
Scott Spark 900 RC | Yeti Arc | Yeti SB130 | Trek Madone 4.5 | Look 695 SR ipack

owly

Postby owly » Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:36 am

Tubolito have recently come out with a City/Tour? tube which is supposed to be good for puncture resistance but I think specs mention to50mm. Not sure how much more they'd stretch beyond that use. On CyclingTips.

If not tubeless I'd go something like that route, with a lighter & faster rolling tyre. Conti SpeedKing Racesport (new versions) would be my first choice for your riding mix, if you're not doing much offroad in wet conditions.

If you do at times crank it offroad, a RaceKing Racesport in the front may be a more suitable setup. Agree with the notes of JustRideIt's post at the top of page:- https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 9&start=15
MUFC :twisted:

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sat Aug 21, 2021 7:51 pm

I'm using a Schwalbe Rocket Ron on the front and Racing Ralph on the rear 29x2.25. I typically run those at 20F and 25R (psi).

I will be upping that to 2.35 once I lace up some wider rims. The bigger bag size means I can run lower pressures for more grip, and the improved compliance is actually faster on the trail. A combination of not having to slow down as much in the corners and keeping up speed with less effort is a what all the cool kids are looking for. .

Bentnose

Postby Bentnose » Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:45 am

For what it’s worth I run Schwalbe Racing Ray front and Racing Ralph rear 2.1 on my XC hardtail As another poster said you might be better off with gravel tyres if you are doing 60% tarmac, I’m getting Strava segment times not too far off my MTB on the less intense trails with my 40mm gravel tyres on the CX bike. I’ve been using WTB Nano, they come in a 2.1 and just bought a Schwalbe G One, they come in 2.25, both come in tubeless versions. Just be aware with knobby tyres, wet tarmac grip is sketchy, but you probably already know that.
No signature

chriso_29er

Postby chriso_29er » Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:54 pm

I loved Maxxis Icons, but stock was hard to come by so I have just purchased Maxxis Ardent Race.
So far seem just as fast as the Icon's but seem to have quite good grip for an XC tyre.
Even on paved surfaces seem quite good to be honest. These are a 29 x 2.2 on a XC hardtail.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:10 pm

Panaracer Gravel King are a pretty standard recommendation.
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

RonK

Postby RonK » Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:20 pm

Hard to beat Vittoria Mezcal TNT - excellent fast-rolling XC tyre for mixed surfaces. I have them on my bikepacking bike and my e-mtb.

https://www.vittoria.com/us/en/tires/mtb-xc/mezcal
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...