Rear Wheel Conversions

Dawj1er

Rear Wheel Conversions

Postby Dawj1er » Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:50 pm

Extremely noob and needing help!

Recently picked up an old Kona paddy wagon, 2009 I believe (grey/yellow). Basically want to get a new wheelset, not a fan of the yellow rims.

So I’m looking for a cheap option, doesn’t need to be high end etc. but I’m finding across the board single speed specific wheelsets to be more expensive. And a lot of decent looking second had road wheel sets going around at great prices, sub $150 etc.

Spoke with a local bike workshop and he has assured me that to me the rider I wouldn’t feel the difference between a converted road wheel vs single speed specific hub. Although the specific is always going to be better etc etc. I’m not too serious and it just a commuter/pub bike for me.

So this leads me to the reason I post. Can just about any road wheel be converted to work for me? And all id need to use is a conversion kit?

For the sake of the question let’s use the below as the example

Wheels- https://www.this link is broken.au/prime-stagiaire-road-wheelset

Conversion kit- https://www.cyclingdeal.com.au/buy/conv ... -ada/FK-02

Any help greatly appreciated!

P!N20

Re: Rear Wheel Conversions

Postby P!N20 » Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:20 am

It's not that easy I don't think. The Paddywagon has 120mm rear spacing while the wheels require 130mm.

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:55 am

Yeah, as above, the spacing is a big issue.

Also, for some reason, "single speed" is often confused with "track," and as with any other form of racing, track parts = $$$.

If it's just the colour that puts you off, perhaps you could hit 'em with a rattle can? That'll probably be the cheapest way out.

Dawj1er

Postby Dawj1er » Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:00 am

Yeah ok that all makes sense.

Perhaps painting is my best option until i find some second hand single speed wheels, just worried the finish will look horrible haha

Thanks everyone!