RedWhite bibs

Retrobyte

RedWhite bibs

Postby Retrobyte » Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:35 pm

After buying lower priced bibs and shorts for years I've decided to lash out and buy something better (and hopefully more comfortable on longer rides), so after reading some independent reviews and some forum comments I've got some RedWhite bibs on the way - I've ordered both the less padded "Entry" model and the endurance model. Website says free 5-8 day express shipping from Singapore, so let's see how that goes.

MichaelB

Re: RedWhite bibs

Postby MichaelB » Mon Jan 04, 2021 4:05 pm

Am a proud user of RedWhite for a few years now.

Have also recently tried the Entry versions and they are pretty good. The 'The Bib' are even better again, and are better value now that the AUD is much stronger against the US

Retrobyte

Postby Retrobyte » Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:19 pm

MichaelB wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 4:05 pm
Am a proud user of RedWhite for a few years now.

Have also recently tried the Entry versions and they are pretty good. The 'The Bib' are even better again, and are better value now that the AUD is much stronger against the US
Good to hear! I rolled the dice and bought 2 of each which meant I got 30% off by buying a "team bundle". That brings the price per pair down to roughly AUD100, which makes it more palatable.

m@

Postby m@ » Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:24 am

Another long-term RedWhite fan here; I also just picked up a pair of the basic bibs and have about 10 hours on them so far. I'd say they sit somewhere between the classic The Bibs and the now-defunct The Race which had a much thinner and more perforated chamoix.

The bundle discount really makes them very good value.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:01 am

My review for BNA on 'The Entry' version will be coming out soon.

Stay tuned.

AndrewCowley

Postby AndrewCowley » Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:17 pm

I have a pair of XXL Red White bib shorts that are unworn. Will sell cheap. Message me if interested. Reason for selling is they don’t fit properly.
Last edited by AndrewCowley on Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:31 pm

MichaelB wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:01 am

Stay tuned.
Spotted https://www.bicycles.net.au/2021/01/tes ... t-as-good/
Good review, thanks.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

Peter A

Postby Peter A » Thu Jan 07, 2021 7:54 am

Thanks Andrew, will take those.
Posted for info of anyone else pondering :D

Retrobyte

Postby Retrobyte » Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:16 am

Thanks for the review, Michael - makes me feel more comfortable about buying 4 pairs in one hit!

Amazingly, tracking is showing my order is out for delivery today - Singapore to Sydney in 3 days

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:19 am

warthog1 wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:31 pm
MichaelB wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:01 am

Stay tuned.
Spotted https://www.bicycles.net.au/2021/01/tes ... t-as-good/
Good review, thanks.
Cheers.

Was just about to add the link. :D

Peter A

Postby Peter A » Thu Jan 07, 2021 2:38 pm

[/quote]
Good to hear! I rolled the dice and bought 2 of each which meant I got 30% off by buying a "team bundle". That brings the price per pair down to roughly AUD100, which makes it more palatable.
[/quote]

Interested in how you find the difference in the two models of red/white bibs Retrobyte?

ie are the dearer THE BIBS much, if any, better than the THE ENTRY model bib IYO ?

Yr overall thoughts on the red/whites?

Thanks for yr review MichaelB :D

Retrobyte

Postby Retrobyte » Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:26 am

Did a 2 hour ride in The Bib yesterday evening and I can understand now why these bibs get such great reviews. I'm kicking myself for not getting onto these earlier. The size suggested by Yuva based on my height, waist, and weight is spot on - XL (I'm 180cm/90kg with a 36" waist). I found myself not having to adjust my riding position for comfort reasons at all during the ride. Will be interesting to see how the less padded model The Entry compares, when I give them a spin tomorrow on a longer ride.

My other bibs are Pearl Izumi, Tinelli and Dhb, and the fit and comfort versus The Bib is chalk and cheese.

Peter A

Postby Peter A » Sat Jan 09, 2021 2:38 pm

Thanks Retrobyte, nice to hear you are happy with the red/whites.

My older gear is wearing out, (you know it when rider drafting drops the hint
you have suspected after last couple of washes.) - ie transparency r's end lol.

Hope to find them as you do and pick up some extras also.

Retrobyte

Postby Retrobyte » Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:41 am

Retrobyte wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:26 am
Did a 2 hour ride in The Bib yesterday evening and I can understand now why these bibs get such great reviews. I'm kicking myself for not getting onto these earlier. The size suggested by Yuva based on my height, waist, and weight is spot on - XL (I'm 180cm/90kg with a 36" waist). I found myself not having to adjust my riding position for comfort reasons at all during the ride. Will be interesting to see how the less padded model The Entry compares, when I give them a spin tomorrow on a longer ride.

My other bibs are Pearl Izumi, Tinelli and Dhb, and the fit and comfort versus The Bib is chalk and cheese.
Only had time yesterday for a 2 hour ride but that gave me a perfect opportunity to compare The Entry with The Bib. For the first 90 minutes The Entry felt almost identical to The Bib in terms of comfort, although towards the end of the ride I had to adjust position a couple of times to stay comfy, but nothing untoward, and much better than the other bibs I own. So, the extra padding on The Bib will definitely provide a benefit on longer rides, but nevertheless The Entry is a really comfortable bibshort for general riding.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:04 pm

Retrobyte wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:41 am
Retrobyte wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:26 am

Only had time yesterday for a 2 hour ride but that gave me a perfect opportunity to compare The Entry with The Bib. For the first 90 minutes The Entry felt almost identical to The Bib in terms of comfort, although towards the end of the ride I had to adjust position a couple of times to stay comfy, but nothing untoward, and much better than the other bibs I own. So, the extra padding on The Bib will definitely provide a benefit on longer rides, but nevertheless The Entry is a really comfortable bibshort for general riding.
Pretty much what I found during my review.

I use The Entry now primarily for the commute to work and majority of gravel rides (a stack wont cost as much), and The Bib are used for longer w/end rides.

Peter A

Postby Peter A » Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:23 am

Thanks gents for the info, have three pair old bibs U/s in last fortnight & looking fwd to
trying THE BIBS out.
Yuva can expect an order if suitable. A conversation while riding y'day revealed acquaintance
was wearing r/w's The Bib, gave very good reports also.

Edit added - the XXL's arrived and tried on today, on my 183cm 101kg they are certainly race
tight, reckon they'll be OK on the road. Will find out tomorrow :D

By comparison, are a little tighter than my XXXL Castelli bibs.

And - quite long in the leg, would be 30-40mm longer than my average bib shorts,
at an approximation.

Peter A

Postby Peter A » Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:50 pm

So on the roadie today, 65km at Av 27.1kph, high 20's temps and humid - the new THE BIBS
were worn and would probably be the best I've used. A sore R/H side of r's over last week
remained comfortable = Very impressed, the tight fit was spot on when riding and the apparent
longish leg length yesterday was seen to be closer to about 15 to 20mm longer compared to
other bibs = no probs. Like 'em, will buy more, won't bother with ENTRY BIBS, THE BIBS are
the ducks nuts :D
(600km+ this year)

Retrobyte

Postby Retrobyte » Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:06 am

105km wearing The BIb yesterday, and although I was buggered at the end of the ride from a poor sleep the night before, the hot temperature and headwind, my nether regions felt good. I think I might have quit after 70km if I'd been wearing my old bibs

Peter A

Postby Peter A » Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:46 pm

Agree retro', gr8 shorts :D
Will try to get a local (riding mates) team order together, four pair or more for 30%
discount is my understanding, makes the bibs even better (more affordable).
Been handwashing/drying daily for last three days, the "go to" bibs now.
ps...Email yesterday, Red/White has just added a XXXL sizing in their bibs, until that
the XXL was largest fitting I saw.

vbplease

Postby vbplease » Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:16 pm

From reading these reviews it sounds like 'The Bib' is on par with the top of the line bibs e.g. rapha, assos etc which are approx. $300 for the top quality ones.
If 'The Bib' can be bought for $120 (factoring in the 30% off bundle), this sounds like a bargain??

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:40 pm

vbplease wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:16 pm
From reading these reviews it sounds like 'The Bib' is on par with the top of the line bibs e.g. rapha, assos etc which are approx. $300 for the top quality ones.
If 'The Bib' can be bought for $120 (factoring in the 30% off bundle), this sounds like a bargain??
How does one get the 30% off?

vbplease

Postby vbplease » Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:51 pm

warthog1 wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:40 pm
If you buy 4 or more bibs you get 30% off as a team bundle
https://www.redwhite.cc/apps/bundles/bundle/22079

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:54 pm

vbplease wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:51 pm
warthog1 wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:40 pm
If you buy 4 or more bibs you get 30% off as a team bundle
https://www.redwhite.cc/apps/bundles/bundle/22079
Thanks. :)
Might have to leave it for a while though.
Just bought a smart trainer. Don't think I'd survive that too. :oops:

vbplease

Postby vbplease » Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:13 pm

warthog1 wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:54 pm
You don't have a money tree too?
I've been hanging out for a smart trainer for a while and wouldn't mind 4 x new pairs of redwhite bibs..
I'm currently riding a $100 exercise bike on rainy days until we finish our house renovation :oops:

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:43 pm

vbplease wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:13 pm
warthog1 wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:54 pm
You don't have a money tree too?
I've been hanging out for a smart trainer for a while and wouldn't mind 4 x new pairs of redwhite bibs..
I'm currently riding a $100 exercise bike on rainy days until we finish our house renovation :oops:
Bugger! :(
Yeah not doing any better here either.
Going to be working away on call for 8 days at a time. It's that or no riding.