Settling off without a strict plan

Mofra

Settling off without a strict plan

Postby Mofra » Fri Dec 18, 2020 2:01 pm

It seems common for tourers/gravel grinders to set off with a specific campsite in mind.
Have people here just set off with a loose itinerary and just camped where they end up on the end of day 1 or 2? I'm planning a few rides in coming months in the Latrobe Valley and the GVRT and am wondering how easy it is just to 'park and camp' for the night anywhere that seems ok/legal.

Leaf T

Re: Settling off without a strict plan

Postby Leaf T » Sat Dec 19, 2020 12:21 pm

It's quite easy to do that but finding a spot out of sight could be difficult in places especially between Traralgon and Stratford. Further east past Bairnsdale it would be easier. You would also need to carry enough water for cooking and for the next day.

australiantourer

Postby australiantourer » Sat Dec 19, 2020 10:12 pm

It’s the best way to cycle tour! It can be a rollercoaster — sometimes you land on great spots, sometimes not — lucky dip! I find it liberating. If you have 3 litres of water, tent, stove — you’re self-contained and laughing.

Mofra

Postby Mofra » Tue Dec 22, 2020 8:03 am

australiantourer wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 10:12 pm
It’s the best way to cycle tour! It can be a rollercoaster — sometimes you land on great spots, sometimes not — lucky dip! I find it liberating. If you have 3 litres of water, tent, stove — you’re self-contained and laughing.
I'm hoping so. Will stick to common trails to start with (GVRT, Latrobe Valley trails) but looking at a few routes people are putting online for later in the summer