MTB shoes

malcs

MTB shoes

Postby malcs » Sun Dec 13, 2020 5:29 pm

Hi - recommendation for MTB shoes. Do a bit of riding that involves hike a bike so need something I can walk ok in too. Used SIDI for years and love them but open to ideas?

bychosis

Re: MTB shoes

Postby bychosis » Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:09 pm

Clipless or flats?
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

Trevtassie

Postby Trevtassie » Sun Dec 13, 2020 10:10 pm

Clipless and if you actually want to do some serious walking, Shimano XM7 or XM9. The 7 is a shoe style, the 9 a boot. Both have Vibram soles and are great walking boots, even considering they have a cleat in the middle of the sole, you just need to watch your foot placement when boulder hopping.

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Sun Dec 13, 2020 10:32 pm

Pick what fits best.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

chriso_29er

Postby chriso_29er » Thu Dec 17, 2020 1:45 pm

I've recently purchased some Giro Chamber 2 enduro shoes.
Very impressed with how comfy they are and easy to walk in compared to my previous very stiff soled XC race type shoe.
Also very strong in case of any foot strikes, which is a problem I've also had in the past with light weight XC shoes.

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Fri Dec 18, 2020 12:18 pm

I use Five Ten Kestrel, have spent hours pushing a loaded bike up some pretty steep hills, some where you push the bike a bit, grab the brakes and use the bike to pull up the next bit... good grip, comfortable on long rides and can use on flats and spd's. Have even spent a day in the office in them once. They look big and are a bit ugly... but end of day they work extremely well for me,
“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sat Dec 19, 2020 10:22 am

I was going to suggest Sidi. :lol: My bike fitter reckons they're good for 5 years.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:23 pm

Here's a question.............How do people find the shoes that are not stiff in the soles, treat your feet for hot foot? If I have to soft a shoe in the sole, I suffer from hot foot. :?:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

chriso_29er

Postby chriso_29er » Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:34 am

foo on patrol wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:23 pm
Here's a question.............How do people find the shoes that are not stiff in the soles, treat your feet for hot foot? If I have to soft a shoe in the sole, I suffer from hot foot. :?:

Foo
I have done 5 hours in my shoes posted above, no problem at all. Actually more comfortable that my stiff soled XC shoes.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:59 am

chriso_29er wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:34 am
foo on patrol wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:23 pm

Foo
I have done 5 hours in my shoes posted above, no problem at all. Actually more comfortable that my stiff soled XC shoes.

Okay, that's interesting, because I get the problem with flex in any road shoe on the road or track. :shock:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Thu Dec 31, 2020 7:44 pm

foo on patrol wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:59 am

Okay, that's interesting, because I get the problem with flex in any road shoe on the road or track. :shock:

Foo

Normally, that's me too. However, if the last doesn't properly accommodate my varus forefoot, the ball of my foot under metatarsal 4 and 5 get quite uncomfortable even with carbon soles. How that I have an arch support and varus wedge courtesy of Aaron at Fusion Peak, it's been much better the last couple of years.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Fri Jan 01, 2021 8:10 am

Interesting, thanks. :wink:

Foo
Goal 6000km

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:49 am

You can always look at flat pedals... I have wide feet and took ages to find shoes that I can wear for 12hr plus rides without being in agony... went to flats and solved all my problems.. wore five ten access shoes.. great on bike, hiking, pub outings only issue is I climb better with spd's and went to bunny hop one ride and confirmed I cant have kids... so went back to spd's but the Five Tens... have had no issues with all day riding but lately started getting sore where they clip in... thinking I may change the inner as they are a few years old now
“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:03 pm

cancan64 wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:49 am
You can always look at flat pedals... I have wide feet and took ages to find shoes that I can wear for 12hr plus rides without being in agony... went to flats and solved all my problems.. wore five ten access shoes.. great on bike, hiking, pub outings only issue is I climb better with spd's and went to bunny hop one ride and confirmed I cant have kids... so went back to spd's but the Five Tens... have had no issues with all day riding but lately started getting sore where they clip in... thinking I may change the inner as they are a few years old now

Five Tens, I can't find the ones that you're talking about with the cleats? :?

Foo
Goal 6000km

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:04 pm

foo on patrol wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:03 pm

Five Tens, I can't find the ones that you're talking about with the cleats? :?

Foo
Something like below. I use them for just about everything but initially purchased them for Bikepacking until my bunnyhop incident and went back to spd's but I have ridden multi days rides in them, along with rafting, hiking, bouldering and indoor rock climbing and worn them to work, shops and pubs. I use Pedaling innovation pedals and they grip well. My spd shoes have the same sole, I have a hill to climb on Wednesday which has 1000mtr of elevation over 5km, average 20% climb with the bike loaded with bikepacking kit and a packraft and the shoes are not on my worry list.

https://www.catch.com.au/product/five-t ... GDEALw_wcB

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:05 pm

Okay, that was all that I could find also. I don't need anymore skin of my shins as I stripped plenty off after a ladder went out from under me. :(

Foo
Goal 6000km

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:11 pm

I have just received a pair of Giro Empire VR90's. They have a Vibram rubber tread so plenty of grip, but have a carbon sole so very stiff. I'm planning to use these for gravel bike rides where it's predictable that I need to dismount at times but not walking for any real distance.
For bikepacking I'm wearing Northwave Escape Evo. I wear them everywhere when on bikepacking tours, don't brake any other shoes except camp sandals. They are roomy and comfortable with just enough flex to wear them even on short hiking excursions.
Last edited by RonK on Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

m@

Postby m@ » Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:12 am

RonK wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:11 pm
I have just received a pair of Giro Empire VR90's. They have a Vibram rubber tread do plenty of grip, but have a carbon sole so very stiff. I'm planning to use these for gravel bike rides where it's predictable that I need to dismount at times but not walking for any real distance.
For bikepacking I'm wearing Northwave Escaoe Evo. I wear them everywhere when on bikepacking tours, don't brake any other shoes except camp sandals. They are roomy and comfortable with just enough flex to wear them even on short hiking excursions.
Giro make some great shoes. My VR90s were the most comfortable bike shoes I'd owned, until I picked up a pair of Privateer Laces for bikepacking (mostly to avoid trashing the Empires on the Hunt 1000's notorious hike-a-bike sections, and to avoid standing out too much in town). I've found I prefer the extra flex in the sole of the Privateers even on shorter rides!
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe

RonK

Postby RonK » Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:54 am

m@ wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:12 am
RonK wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:11 pm
I have just received a pair of Giro Empire VR90's. They have a Vibram rubber tread do plenty of grip, but have a carbon sole so very stiff. I'm planning to use these for gravel bike rides where it's predictable that I need to dismount at times but not walking for any real distance.
For bikepacking I'm wearing Northwave Escaoe Evo. I wear them everywhere when on bikepacking tours, don't brake any other shoes except camp sandals. They are roomy and comfortable with just enough flex to wear them even on short hiking excursions.
Giro make some great shoes. My VR90s were the most comfortable bike shoes I'd owned, until I picked up a pair of Privateer Laces for bikepacking (mostly to avoid trashing the Empires on the Hunt 1000's notorious hike-a-bike sections, and to avoid standing out too much in town). I've found I prefer the extra flex in the sole of the Privateers even on shorter rides!
For the Hunt 1000 I’d be choosing the Northwave Escape Evo without hesitation.
I did consider the Privateers, but they still look like cycling shoes. The VR90’s are very discreet in black - the branding is barely discernible and with laces they look like ordinary street shoes.
The gravel bike is going to be my allrounder, and will spend a lot of its life on the urban grind, with occasional gravel adventures and so credit card touring. So I wanted stiff soles like a road shoe but still be able to walk into the coffee shop without the usual roadie waddle.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:06 pm

For the 2019 Hunt1000 I used the Fiveten Kestrals and I picked up the strava KOM by 20min on the Billy Goat Bluff Track which was the hardest hike a bike section .. there was just one little pinch that I struggled for grip, otherwise was a walk in the park...sort of.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:21 am

I have a pair of these coming from Pushy's, so I will be interested in how they go and at $89 on special, down from $379 if that's right, I couldn't not try them. :mrgreen:

Foo
Goal 6000km

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:07 pm

Shoes turned up today and wow, they are very stiff. :shock:

Foo
Goal 6000km

stevenaaus

Postby stevenaaus » Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:59 pm

Vibram soles :) lace ups :?
I might have been tempted, but only lime in 42.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:36 am

Bugger.

Foo
Last edited by foo on patrol on Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Goal 6000km

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:25 pm

how is the width, I have wide feet being of an age that never wore shoes until high school, reviews are good on them..