2020 QLD State Titles

foo on patrol

2020 QLD State Titles

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Oct 31, 2020 6:21 pm

Decided after some prompting from friends, to have a go at the Masters 7 States and see how lacking in fitness I am. :shock: Anyone else on here going to have a crack at Masters this year? :?:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

10speedsemiracer

Re: 2020 QLD State Titles

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Wed Nov 04, 2020 4:00 am

Good stuff Foo, good luck.

Maybe worthy of a few posts on here about your training and race day..?

Am a bit envious, would love to do something like that..
Campagnolo for show, SunTour for go

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Wed Nov 04, 2020 7:06 am

My training at the moment is pretty crappy. I'm working on my glutes and hammies, so that I can strengthen them up a bit more for in the seat power when digging deep. Haven't been on the Track since December due to a heap of things going wrong but am looking forward to starting back and then building towards next years racing. :wink:

I lashed out ordered some new Titanium Oil Slick Coated rear cogs (14t 15t 16t) and a Bespoke Stealth Rose Black 56t last night, so I need to get back to top fitness over the next few years, to justify that outlay. :mrgreen: After riding a Sugino Zen front and Asia Imports rear at the last States at the beginning of last year, the difference in roll quality is amazing with the super smooth gear and hence why, I lashed out for the Bespoke gear. :idea:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Wed Nov 04, 2020 6:08 pm

foo on patrol wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 7:06 am
My training at the moment is pretty crappy. I'm working on my glutes and hammies, so that I can strengthen them up a bit more for in the seat power when digging deep. Haven't been on the Track since December due to a heap of things going wrong but am looking forward to starting back and then building towards next years racing. :wink:

I lashed out ordered some new Titanium Oil Slick Coated rear cogs (14t 15t 16t) and a Bespoke Stealth Rose Black 56t last night, so I need to get back to top fitness over the next few years, to justify that outlay. :mrgreen: After riding a Sugino Zen front and Asia Imports rear at the last States at the beginning of last year, the difference in roll quality is amazing with the super smooth gear and hence why, I lashed out for the Bespoke gear. :idea:

Foo
How long is the track on which you'll be racing ? 56>14 is a properly large combo, you will be but a speedy blur to spectators.

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Wed Nov 04, 2020 7:41 pm

10speedsemiracer wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 6:08 pm
How long is the track on which you'll be racing ? 56>14 is a properly large combo, you will be but a speedy blur to spectators.
Im assuming 56-14 is for the flying 200?
Its too big for an Individual pursuit, or even a Team pursuit. And way too big for points or scratch. Even 56-15 is too big.
Must be a sprint thing. Secret sprint gears :D

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:27 pm

10speedsemiracer wrote:
foo on patrol wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 7:06 am

Foo

Track is 250mtr inside board track and yeah, the big gear will be for the fly.

Foo
Goal 6000km

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:33 pm

Derny Driver wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 7:41 pm
10speedsemiracer wrote:
Im assuming 56-14 is for the flying 200?
Its too big for an Individual pursuit, or even a Team pursuit. And way too big for points or scratch. Even 56-15 is too big.
Must be a sprint thing. Secret sprint gears :D

Yeah it will be but will probably be the 15t for fly this year. :mrgreen: The Team Sprint last year, I used 97 for the first round and then 104 for the ride off for gold n silver and rode a quicker lap and I was the starter. :P

Foo
Goal 6000km

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:57 pm

My Bespoke gear turned up today. :mrgreen:

Foo
Goal 6000km

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:09 pm

Those are some nice lookin' sprockets

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Nov 14, 2020 8:04 pm

10speedsemiracer wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:09 pm
Those are some nice lookin' sprockets

I would have loved a front the same but at $350, I couldn't justify it at my age but would have in my early years. The Oil Slick is super smooth but there is another level above these.

Foo
Goal 6000km

Peter A

Postby Peter A » Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:26 pm

Just seen this Foo,sounds like a perfect motivator to get fit, look forward to
how yr going.
Local Velodrome has sat basically unused for year, bit of a push to get it up and
running atm.
It's an open air concrete thing, had first ever laps on it the other week, kept thinking the
outside pedal would touch the surface on the bends, enjoyed it non the less :oops: :D

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:37 pm

Good chance this is a silly question (I've never ridden track) but could a cheap chainring/cog be improved by running an old chain full of polishing grit over them for a bit?
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:25 pm

ldrcycles wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:37 pm
Good chance this is a silly question (I've never ridden track) but could a cheap chainring/cog be improved by running an old chain full of polishing grit over them for a bit?

Not a silly question at all, as I had toyed with the idea of using a dremel with a polishing head but the though of doing it and stuffing up a ring put me off. Maybe try it on and old ring, that way it doesn't matter? :idea:

Foo
Goal 6000km

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:34 pm

Peter A wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:26 pm
how yr going.
Local Velodrome has sat basically unused for year, bit of a push to get it up and
running atm.
It's an open air concrete thing, had first ever laps on it the other week, kept thinking the
outside pedal would touch the surface on the bends, enjoyed it non the less :oops: :D

Steepness of the track would be the only real factor in clipping but most old Tracks aren't anymore than 33deg banking and your crank length unless they were 180mm+ would be the only thing. Concrete and asphalt Tracks you can ride real slow on, when you're experienced and not worry about slipping. :mrgreen:

Foo
Goal 6000km

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:07 am

Peter A wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:26 pm
how yr going.
running atm.
Your location of Nth Gippsland sounds like you were at Warragul rather than Leongatha, however neither is remarkably steep by velodrome standards I'm told. There are a few trackies in Melbourne who remember the Gippsland carnivals fondly, including those with influence at some of the clubs. There have been murmurings here of trying to get some racing back there again as part of the interclub series. Last year at least 4 of the clubs in Melbourne have been racing together as a way of having better sized fields. It was a success but this year is a little different...

On a banked track you are only likely to touch a pedal when you are going slow. A bit of speed puts that fear to rest. Much more frightening are the flat tracks like Preston, Castlemaine etc where you can touch your left pedal when you are going fast. (Happened in front of me in a motorpace at Preston once).
foo on patrol wrote:
ldrcycles wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:37 pm

Not a silly question at all, as I had toyed with the idea of using a dremel with a polishing head but the though of doing it and stuffing up a ring put me off. Maybe try it on and old ring, that way it doesn't matter? :idea:

Foo
I'm always amazed by how difficult it seems to be to make chainrings and cogs round. The technology to make metal round cheaply is hardly new, yet it seems that it is really rare to find a track chain that doesn't vary markedly in tension when the cranks are turned. As a consequence people are asked to pay insane prices for really simple bits of engineering (even if they are nicely finished) mostly on the basis that they are 'more round'. As for smooth engagement with the chain, that was solved with geared bikes decades ago, yet somehow it is different for the track...

At least looking pretty is different, paying more for something with more visual appeal is part of the human condition. I don't see the new fangled non-roller chains catching on any time soon, because they don't look pretty enough... at least until a shiny anodised version comes out.

Cheers,

Cameron

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:33 am

I've used the high end Sugino Zen rings and Asia Imports rears and they by far, run smoother than normal stuff. :wink: I don't buy for looks, I buy for quality and function and if you have ever used this stuff, you would understand my opinion and why I have lashed out. I used the quality stuff in the Team Sprint qualifying and ride off for gold/silver and then gave it back and used my normal stuff the next day. The rolling feel was totally different and I couldn't work out why, the bike didn't roll as nicely and then I remembered that I didn't have the good gear on this day and I'm not one for placebo thinking. :idea:

The cut in between the teeth is different and doesn't allow for chain grab or drag and that makes a huge difference, plus I use a quality chain also. :mrgreen:

Foo
Goal 6000km

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:21 pm

I do love my Black Beauty and this is it in Sprint mode with the new 56t front and chain made to measure for 108" 100" and 94". 8) It may not be lite at 7.9kg but I don't care, it's nice to ride and it's stiff. :mrgreen:

Foo
Goal 6000km

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:41 pm

That thing will do the job just nicely Foo
Love to hook up with you and hang out at Nationals next time they are on mate.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:52 pm

Derny Driver wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:41 pm

Saw something last weekend about the Nationals. Let me know and I'll make sure that I get there for the catch up. I'm thinking of having a go at the Masters Nationals in April I think they are. :) Hoping to get some decent training in and a bit more speed in the legs. :mrgreen:

Foo
Goal 6000km

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:06 pm

foo on patrol wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:21 pm

Foo
That's a stealth bike. What a weapon.

Me likey.
Last edited by 10speedsemiracer on Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:07 pm

foo on patrol wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:52 pm
Derny Driver wrote:

Saw something last weekend about the Nationals. Let me know and I'll make sure that I get there for the catch up. I'm thinking of having a go at the Masters Nationals in April I think they are. :) Hoping to get some decent training in and a bit more speed in the legs. :mrgreen:

Foo
March 31 to April 3 at the AnnaDome.
Your backyard.
End of school term in NSW is April 1. If I take a couple of days leave, that should work.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:10 pm

10speedsemiracer wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:06 pm
foo on patrol wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:21 pm

Foo
That's a stealth bike. What a weapon.

Me likey.

Yeah, I think it looks goodly and with those wheels, it just sets it off. 8) Wouldn't like to replace it with new gear though, it would be frightening. :shock:

Foo
Goal 6000km

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:11 pm

Derny Driver wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:07 pm
foo on patrol wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:52 pm
Derny Driver wrote:

Foo
March 31 to April 3 at the AnnaDome.
Your backyard.
End of school term in NSW is April 1. If I take a couple of days leave, that should work.

Sounds good mate.

Foo
Goal 6000km

ft_critical

Postby ft_critical » Sat Dec 05, 2020 3:16 pm

I will be doing NSW. Trying to make up for my set of 4ths last year. Though I discovered that my back wheel was partially jammed (hub) most of the season. This year I have 80mm carbon wheels on durace hubs and Vitoria singles - that has to be worth a place. Downside is I haven’t ridden track all year.

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Sat Dec 05, 2020 3:40 pm

ft_critical wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 3:16 pm

<snipped>

This year I have 80mm carbon wheels on durace hubs and Vitoria singles - that has to be worth a place.

Noice ... 8)