Questions: torque wrench bits & cheap Chinese carbon frame

psycodiver1

Questions: torque wrench bits & cheap Chinese carbon frame

Postby psycodiver1 » Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:56 am

Hey guys :D

Just recently I got a Park Tool PCS-10.2 Repair Stand, Cost = $400 (crazy price): https://imgur.com/a/k0WUWve
The stand is so strong it can support a heavy MTB suspended upside down from the seat post.

1ST QUESTION:
I would like to buy a Park Tool TW-5.2 torque wrench but I encountered a problem, none of the hex bits sold for it come in the sizes I require. Some of the bits I require come in the 'half size' e.g. 2.5, 3.5, etc.
I contacted Truman Purdy at Park Tool about it and he said they don't offer any of those obscure 'half sizes' in their socket and bits set, the best suggestion he had was to purchase the SBS-3 hex bit set: https://www.parktool.com/product/socket ... -set-sbs-3
I'm just wondering if anyone can recommend me a good hex bit and socket set that will work with the Park Tool torque wrench and the required hex bit sizes.
I'm new to torque wrenches so I will need some guidance. All I know is that they will need to be a 3/8" drive to fit the torque wrench.

2ND QUESTION:
I'd like to purchase a cheap 29" Chinese carbon MTB frame before Christmas (that's why I'm buying all this stuff.)
It's basically going to be a project; a slow build.
I plan to be doing a lot of trail riding so I'm pretty sure I would want to build a Trail MTB. That is to say; one with front suspension and rear suspension.
Now, I don't know anything about sizing, can anyone teach me about how to size the frame correctly?
Also, can anyone recommend a good Chinese seller/brand? I've been doing my own research into this and people seem to be wary of getting low-quality frames. Obviously, I would like one that's not going to break immediately. Links to webpages will help here.
Something like this: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/T1000-29ER- ... SwVO5d7bki
But, I'm not sure if I can add rear suspension to that one.

Any help/advice will be appreciated, thanks!!!

Duck!
Expert

Re: Questions: torque wrench bits & cheap Chinese carbon frame

Postby Duck! » Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:31 pm

Any slightly decent tool shop should have suitable bit sets. As long as you get the correct size for the driver there's nothing that makes them spcific to particular wrenches.

I wouldn't be too worried about .5 sizes; 2.5 is the only one occasionally used on bikes, and nothing that is torque-sensitive.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

psycodiver1

Postby psycodiver1 » Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:46 am

Duck! wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:31 pm
I wouldn't be too worried about .5 sizes; 2.5 is the only one occasionally used on bikes, and nothing that is torque-sensitive.
I think you might be right about the 2.5mm being the only one really used on bikes. I'll check my bike soon and find out exactly what hex bit sizes it takes to confirm that.

Duck, do you have any advice regarding the Chinese carbon frame?

BTW, it appears that my forum avatar is not showing correctly. Can anyone confirm that?
It was appearing correctly for the first week or so when I uploaded it.

Halfamillion

Postby Halfamillion » Sun Sep 20, 2020 3:53 pm

Twitter Overlord/ Lexon Genius/Seraph, BXT, ICAN or Sunpeed Leader seem to be the leading XC/AM MTB carbon frames from my China Alibaba/Aliexpress research. The Sunspeed Leader or ICAN seems to be available as a 29er in Sydney as the TWE full suspension 27.5/29er frame? Guess where I'm going? They also stock some of the carbon wheels hubs and carbon components. Full race TWE XC is $4200 (Ref Bike exchange TWE Brand). Seems not too different to Aliexpress, although the complete bikes prices vary somewhat, but I will inspect and ride before purchase. I do like the 2020 T1000 Twitter Overlord/ Lexon Genius frame but the TWE supplied frame also comes with the forward derailleur mount (not visible on the Sunpeed Leader or ICAN XC/AM frame on Aliexpress). This allows 2 x 12 groupset (faster).

The next direction in XC dual suspension Mountain Bikes is Aero components as is the road bikes. This means you go faster for longer, eg flat spokes, carbon aero rims, internal cables, carbon aero stem/handlebars all on mountain bikes.

The Sunpeed dual suspension frames has similar external characteristics to Specialized Epic etc. However, it is Commercial in Confidence who builds American branded bikes in China (super secret). I will visit TWE Alexandra very soon in Sydney and inspect the goodies available.

(P.S. Airwolf manufactures and sells all sort of frames. Search on Ebay, Alibaba or Aliexpress for the Airwolf home page. Ebay Amazon simply sells Aliexpress with markup on china supplied parts. Look on MTB forums for someone who has experience building a bike and riding them. Note Electrek Australia has some Seraph & Twitter MTB & Road bikes & frame available!)
Last edited by Halfamillion on Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:25 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Peugeot PBN10, Cell Victor 2, Graycross Special 27", Merida Mission 2000, Trek 4900, Cell Stinger.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:06 pm

You can’t ADD rear suspension to a frame. It is either hardtail (no rear sus) or has rear suspension from factory.

It sounds as though you need to do a LOT more research before commuting to a Chinese carbon frame. There is a big range of frame types to suit XC racing to downhill. typically divided into at least 4 categories, and then the in betweeners.

Depends on what you call trail riding might mean a significant difference in geometry for a dual suspension bike. It’s not as simple as more travel for tougher terrain. The geometry plays a big part. Typically a TRAIL oriented bike will be reasonably slack in geometry and suited to 120-140mm travel front and back. They are all round bikes for reasonable pedal efficiency, climbing with a lean toward descending.

If you just want to beat along single track without climbing or tackling large obstacles an XC bike will likely be better suited. They are more efficient at pedalling and climbing but a bit compromised for descending and obstacles.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

DenoMTB

Postby DenoMTB » Sat Jan 09, 2021 6:42 pm

Hi

Good luck with your Chinese frame. I have almost built my second one this year. I firstly bought a alloy XT1 hard tail, I bought it through wiggle. I put all the lowest spec, except bought a 32 Fox 120mm fork that was more expensive than the frame, 27.5 wheels, (2.3 inch were the widest I could fit). Apart from a few building errors on my part ( I have been a long term road cyclist), and the fact I was learning about Mountain biking on the run, the frame was fantastic. I have however started to learn about ride position and travel issues, but the seat dropper post XC fusion was easily the best value for money. I had taken it all around Sydney, but it sits too high on the trails. So I decided to get a dual suspension

I was happy with the Chinese frame so started to do some research which really wasn’t that much. I settled on a P9 ICAN dual suspension frame. At the end of November there was a sale on Ali express. I had discussions with Doris on line, but the language barrier was an issue. goggle translate isn’t perfect. I ordered a grey carbon frame, i paid by pay pal. The minute I paid Doris asked me if I could extend the delivery date which concerned me slightly. After a month they asked me again to extend and I said no, five days later the frame was complete.I was sent a low res phot of the completed frame, which looked good. I was a little frustrated at the length of time so I asked them to post it DHL express instead of Ali express. That cost an extra $200. When it arrived I bolt from the frame was missing. On questioning Say What they said the bolt was on the photo, so I must have lost it (I tried to tell them that that is pretty dodgy a bolt falling off but goggle translate is not great). I look at the photo again and sure enough it was missing on the photo also! But I had enough, So another $60 for the missing bolt later all the parts had arrive. Total cost $1400.

The frame however is excellent. The finished paint is very good. It has integrated headset and rear axle supplied. I got a crane creek double barrel coil rear shock and with a bearings kit at 210mm to 55mm it fir perfectly. I am almost finished, but can keep you posted.