New road bike. What's your desire ?

warthog1

Re: New road bike. What's your desire ?

Postby warthog1 » Sat Sep 17, 2022 10:09 am

DavidS wrote:
Fri Sep 16, 2022 8:44 pm
Well I finally stopped procrastinating and had a good look around a few of the companies that put together titanium bikes. After looking around I figured I need mounting for a rack (I use a panier) and I would like mudguards.

Most of my cycling is commuting but I figure I will retire in maybe 5 years and I want a bike to ride when I retire.

So, I have been in contact with Auren bikes, got a quote, made a few changes which added to the price, and am looking at getting one of their bikes. I'm going fancy and looking at Campag Record mechanical gears and hydraulic discs. Time to go and get sized up and order :D

DS
I hadn't heard of them either. In your home town though :)
https://aurenbikes.com.au/

The peregrine disc?

It looks and sounds very good! 8)
Dogs are the best people :wink:

blizzard

Postby blizzard » Sat Sep 17, 2022 1:51 pm

DavidS wrote:
Fri Sep 16, 2022 8:44 pm
Well I finally stopped procrastinating and had a good look around a few of the companies that put together titanium bikes. After looking around I figured I need mounting for a rack (I use a panier) and I would like mudguards.

Most of my cycling is commuting but I figure I will retire in maybe 5 years and I want a bike to ride when I retire.

So, I have been in contact with Auren bikes, got a quote, made a few changes which added to the price, and am looking at getting one of their bikes. I'm going fancy and looking at Campag Record mechanical gears and hydraulic discs. Time to go and get sized up and order :D

DS
Checked out their website, its not entirely clear do they make the frames in house or are they produced overseas? The prices seem good for a custom Ti bike.

I would love a Prova Ti bike, as they look great but are expensive. I would have you win the lotto first.

Tim

Postby Tim » Sat Sep 17, 2022 2:39 pm

blizzard wrote: Checked out their website, its not entirely clear do they make the frames in house or are they produced overseas?

The frames are made on spec in China ie. Auren take the customer's measurements and individual requirements, have the frame built in China, transport it back here then build the bike.

Scroll down;
https://flowmountainbike.com/features/t ... show-2021/

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Sat Sep 17, 2022 4:22 pm

I’m not a fan of a site that doesn’t have pricing easily available or their location.

Seems to have good options and will be interesting to see it built.
Last edited by MichaelB on Sat Sep 17, 2022 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sat Sep 17, 2022 4:22 pm

I wouldn't mind one of these;

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/au/prope ... 0-di2-2023

Ultegra DI2
Disc brakes
30mm tyre clearance
Aero wheels
Good warranty.

Around $8k though.
I don't see it being appreciably faster than either of these

So nup, the desire is nowhere near enough to make me spend that sort of coin.

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Sun Sep 18, 2022 11:20 pm

Yeah, Auren are in Melbourne, in his mum's shed!

They get the frames made overseas, China or Taiwan presumably, and you spec what you want which suits me as I need mounting points for mudguards and a rack. My main cycling is commuting 40KM a day. Will be the peregrine frame as far as I can tell.

I think I'll need to add the mudguards and rack but we'll see. I am thinking I might take half a day off on Wed and go and get sized up.

Yes, a custom Ti bike is expensive but I figure it will last me the rest of my life. Ti frames last a long time and I haven't managed to wear out a groupset - the 105 on my flat bar is 50,000KM and still works fine.

For me a touring bike is basically what I need, something like the Allegro T1 I have but a lot lighter. I'll continue to run the Allegro and retire my Cannondale. Once you put a panier, and then my heavy frame, on the bike weight becomes less of an issue, but I want a fancy bike.

A lot of this will be new to me. I have never had a bike with brifters, disc brakes etc. Should be fun, and that's what cycling should be!

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Sep 19, 2022 9:19 am

warthog1 wrote:
Sat Sep 17, 2022 4:22 pm
I wouldn't mind one of these;

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/au/prope ... 0-di2-2023

Ultegra DI2
Disc brakes
30mm tyre clearance
Aero wheels
Good warranty.

Around $8k though.
I don't see it being appreciably faster than either of these

So nup, the desire is nowhere near enough to make me spend that sort of coin.
A Giant with a reasonable colour scheme! Nice.

elantra

Postby elantra » Tue Sep 20, 2022 7:26 am

DavidS wrote:
Sun Sep 18, 2022 11:20 pm
…….
For me a touring bike is basically what I need, something like the Allegro T1 I have but a lot lighter. I'll continue to run the Allegro and retire my Cannondale. Once you put a panier, and then my heavy frame, on the bike weight becomes less of an issue, but I want a fancy bike.

A lot of this will be new to me. I have never had a bike with brifters, disc brakes etc. Should be fun, and that's what cycling should be!

DS
You probably know about this issue already, but if getting a disc brake bike make sure it has through-axle wheel securing technology.
I have a 2017 hydraulic disc brake mountain bike with traditional style quick release wheels.
The disc rub with QR wheels is a PITA.

And maybe I’m a bit of a dinosaur but I reckon that 9 cogs on the cassette is more than enough.
9 speed cassettes and chains tend to be cheaper to replace than 10 or 11 speed.
But that may change with time.

mikgit

Postby mikgit » Tue Sep 20, 2022 5:42 pm

elantra wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 7:26 am

You probably know about this issue already, but if getting a disc brake bike make sure it has through-axle wheel securing technology.
I have a 2017 hydraulic disc brake mountain bike with traditional style quick release wheels.
I have a 2004 and 2008 mtb, both with 2012 forks that are both quick release and disc...and neither rub, not fork or frame... so it can't be just that they are quick release.
Fat Chance Yo Eddy 2.2, Intense Sniper XC Pro, Look 675, Cervelo R3, GT Xizang, GT Zaskar, Yeti ARC, DiamondBack Apex

Andy01

Postby Andy01 » Tue Sep 20, 2022 6:36 pm

Yeah, I don't think it is a QR thing.

I have had 2 MTBs with mechanical discs & QRs - neither rubbed - unless I didn't seat the axle properly in the dropouts when tightening the QR.

My current Giant Roam 1 has hydraulic discs & QRs - never had a problem with it either.

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Tue Sep 20, 2022 9:19 pm

elantra wrote:
DavidS wrote:
Sun Sep 18, 2022 11:20 pm
…….

DS

And maybe I’m a bit of a dinosaur but I reckon that 9 cogs on the cassette is more than enough.
9 speed cassettes and chains tend to be cheaper to replace than 10 or 11 speed.
But that may change with time.
Mate, I knew none of this! Just looked up what a through axle is.

Where does the disc rub? On the frame I presume.

I will get 2x12 speed because I always figure go with what is common now and what is common now will be available for a long time. Current bikes are both 2x10, yeah, I never use all the gears but the parts are easy to get. I will likely get Campy Record mechanical groupset, always wanted campy and the reviews are good. Will need to buy some tools to fit all of this but that's fine.

Thanks for the advice, the Allegro I ride is very old school. I still have trouble with threadless headsets, never had to fix one so not familiar.

DS

elantra

Postby elantra » Wed Sep 21, 2022 12:16 am

^^^
The disc tends to rub on the pads.

Bike frames designed for traditional-style quick release wheels (but with disc brakes) are prone to this because with disc brake pads are very close to the disc. And the wheels are not always secured by the QR cam in the exact correct alignment.
Obviously varies a bit between different brands/types of disc brake, and how worn the pads are etc.

I have friends with Campag 11 speed transmission. Agree, it’s nice gear, and I believe that the sprocket spacing is the same for 11 speed Campag and Shimano, so theoretically can run Shimano freehub wheels with Campag transmission and vice versa.

I also know someone with Campag 12 sp.
I’m sure it runs well, but the derailleur looks very bulky. And I suspect it would be rather exy.

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Wed Sep 21, 2022 10:33 pm

Yeah, I went and got sized up today for the frame size and I looked at the through axle and the guy said that was the reason. Makes sense really because disc pads are very close.

The Campy Record 12 speed is expensive, but a titanium bike is expensive and this is planned to be a very long term bike. I just have to pay the deposit and it should be ready about late Jan early Feb.

Woohoo, never had a bike anywhere near this good, should be fun.

DS

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Thu Sep 22, 2022 7:54 am

Happy days ahead! :D

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:51 am

Awesome

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Fri Sep 23, 2022 10:30 pm

Very much looking forward to this. Will be a totally new experience - never had a titanium bike, never had brifters, never had discs!

Time for this luddite to enter the 21st century :D

DS

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sat Sep 24, 2022 1:38 pm

elantra wrote:

Interesting. I have had multiple MTBs with QR rear axles (Cannondale Lefty bolt-up fronts) and never experienced this issue. My current wet weather bike is a Jamis carbon CX bike I have upgraded to 105 hydraulic with XT post-mount calipers from the dreadful cable-to-hydraulic TRP Hy/Rds. It has traditional QR axles using the MTB 100/135 axle standard and doesn't have the disc rub issue at either end. Centering the calipers on the rotors helped. The Ashima rotors didn't need truing, which was nice for a change.

When finalising fitment, I place the bike on its wheels and weight the frame with my body, releasing and re-securing the levers to make sure the axle is fully home in the dropouts. When I don't do that, yeah, I can have issues, but that practice has always worked for me.

That said, like you I much prefer thru-axles. They feel more secure in the bike, and seem to improve lateral stiffness in the rear triangle so the bike is less prone to self-steer.

I can't say for sure that sensation is not in part due to differences in carbon layup between my and my mates bikes, or even carbon vs alloy wheels, but other riders I know have made the same comment, and the consensus seems to be your bike's handling is more predictable and assured with TAs.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:23 am

^^^ I do the same thing when doing up any quick release axles. ^^^ :mrgreen:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:47 am

My S5 has these:

https://www.excelsports.com/cervelo-rat-through-axle

Despite all things they say, you still have to be very precise with putting them in otherwise the pads will rub against the disc.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Sat Oct 08, 2022 10:52 pm

foo on patrol wrote:
Sun Jul 03, 2022 8:01 pm
jasonc wrote:
Sun Jul 03, 2022 10:49 am
Tg I'm a 58 also and feel your pain

Try finding a Track frame in this size. :wink:

Foo
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1482080 ... 1318342633

hunch

Postby hunch » Sun Oct 09, 2022 9:49 am

DavidS wrote:Yes, a custom Ti bike is expensive but I figure it will last me the rest of my life. Ti frames last a long time
Surprised to see a premium US maker's vid recently. Welded up just using a gas lens in air - do wonder about the longevity.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Oct 10, 2022 7:32 pm

jasonc wrote:
Sat Oct 08, 2022 10:52 pm
foo on patrol wrote:
jasonc wrote:
Sun Jul 03, 2022 10:49 am
Tg I'm a 58 also and feel your pain

Foo
Found another
https://www.facebook.com/groups/Bicycle ... 8584600083

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Mon Oct 10, 2022 7:40 pm

jasonc wrote:
Mon Oct 10, 2022 7:32 pm
jasonc wrote:
Sat Oct 08, 2022 10:52 pm
foo on patrol wrote:

Foo
Found another
https://www.facebook.com/groups/Bicycle ... 8584600083
You are just stirring the Foomeister now :mrgreen: :P

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Oct 10, 2022 8:24 pm

Happy to help

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Mon Oct 10, 2022 9:43 pm

jasonc wrote:
Mon Oct 10, 2022 8:24 pm
Happy to help
Happy to stir Foo here. :lol:
He's in Qld and I'm in Vic so I should be safe.

You helped me with the vector pedals too, so thanks. :)