Feeling Old and Decrepit

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
brumby33

Re: Feeling Old and Decrepit

Postby brumby33 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 1:39 pm

CmdrBiggles wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:04 pm
brumby33 wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:45 pm
Hi LS, yes I'm very interested in the Brooks saddle so if you're heading to Holbrook in May, might get on the Motorcycle and zoom up and meet you.

The saddle that I'm using now is one from Specialized that I got the sit bone measurement for and cost me $143 which I was hoping would make this bike more comfy but it feels like I'm sitting on a fence post.

I'm not sure if cut outs really make a difference or not.....I mean what is their main aim? Is it mostly beneficial to blokes only or do women get benefits as well?

Yeah As I get a trifle fitter, i want to do the Tallangatta ride but it goes on to Shelley and you can ride down as far as Corryong but i heard that out there you're on and off paths. Maybe by next Spring/Summer, I'd also like to try the Wangaratta to Bright via Myrtleford and Beechworth. Maybe camp or stay over somewhere.
But even some of the local wetlands rides are relaxing and super quiet.

Brooks saddles gradually form themselves to the rider's bone structure; you may need to try out any second-hand one on offer; it is not the same thing to swap over these saddles freely like the synthetic jobs that are now so common. In bicycle touring, having a Brooks B52 was the very, very last word in long-term comfort (and prestige), and they can still be seen on long-haul bikes: we all used one, despite the horrendous expense in our poverty-stricken student days!

Not sure what you mean by being on and off paths on the section of path toward Corryong? It is a very up and down journey from Tallan' and quite scenic in places. The paths are often speckled with walkers, runners and locals walking their woofers. There were some rough/broken patches around Clack-Clack (aka Colac Colac); no such troubles if you take the very long route (and climb) around Cudgewa with a screaming downhill heading toward Corryong.

Wang to Bright is a gem whatever way it is done, just a bit exposed to hot sun and winds. There are water stops and shelters along the route, along with locals getting their walks and runs in on the paths too in many places.
Thanks for that Information Biggles......very handy to know. Yeah about that on/off path bit, only what i was told but I've never ridden it.....I was told that some of the path meets up and some doesn't and that you need to take a bit of road and rejoin path but as I said, I've yet to venture out that far except on the Motorcycle.

I watched a YT video this morning between Myrtleford to Beechworth and it's a bit of a long uphill ride but you're rewarded with a nice long decline on the way back...but for me, it'll be reverse :D

I'll get there eventually.

Cheers

brumby33
"ya gotta hold ya mouth right"

VWR Patagonia 2017
2003 Diamondback Sorrento Sport MTB

CmdrBiggles

Postby CmdrBiggles » Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:20 pm

CmdrBiggles wrote:

Thanks for that Information Biggles......very handy to know. Yeah about that on/off path bit, only what i was told but I've never ridden it.....I was told that some of the path meets up and some doesn't and that you need to take a bit of road and rejoin path but as I said, I've yet to venture out that far except on the Motorcycle.

I watched a YT video this morning between Myrtleford to Beechworth and it's a bit of a long uphill ride but you're rewarded with a nice long decline on the way back...but for me, it'll be reverse :D

Cheers

brumby33
[...]' I watched a YT video this morning between Myrtleford to Beechworth and it's a bit of a long uphill ride...'

A bit...of an uphill ride... :o
Ah, you don't say!? :lol:
From Beechworth it's all downhill and thrilling speeds (if not thrilling drivers behind you...) are guaranteed.

Beechy and Bright are long, long, long time favourites, destinations that I first visited in the early 1980ss in my early bicycle touring days.

Other rides to try out:
• Bright to Harrietville, c. 27km
• Bright to Buckland River Bridge (c.26km); if you've got a gravel-grinder, continue on to Abbeyard ( :shock: ) beautiful river views
• Bright to Wandiligong, 7.4km — 'cause there's an historic, you-bewt pub there, that's why! :lol:

Bright is my base for skiing in winter.
GIANT 2024 TCR Advanced Pro Disc 0 AR | GT 2014 Zaskar 29er | 2022 Dragon Raptor e-scooter [Yellow Peril]

brumby33

Postby brumby33 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:24 pm

CmdrBiggles wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:20 pm
CmdrBiggles wrote:

Cheers

brumby33
[...]' I watched a YT video this morning between Myrtleford to Beechworth and it's a bit of a long uphill ride...'

A bit...of an uphill ride... :o
Ah, you don't say!? :lol:
From Beechworth it's all downhill and thrilling speeds (if not thrilling drivers behind you...) are guaranteed.

Beechy and Bright are long, long, long time favourites, destinations that I first visited in the early 1980ss in my early bicycle touring days.

Other rides to try out:
• Bright to Harrietville, c. 27km
• Bright to Buckland River Bridge (c.26km); if you've got a gravel-grinder, continue on to Abbeyard ( :shock: ) beautiful river views
• Bright to Wandiligong, 7.4km — 'cause there's an historic, you-bewt pub there, that's why! :lol:

Bright is my base for skiing in winter.
Hehe.....sounds like you know this area like the back of your hand.

I've ridden around some of it with my Motorcycle but not yet with the bicycle, still need to get myself a bit more fitter. At 64, it's a slow progress, but i'm getting a bit better.

I'm wanting to get into bike camping, bicycle and motorcycle and thought if I could buy myself quality gear for camping, it'll save me a fair bit down the track. I've always wanted to do bike camping but never had the opportunity but looking at going back into retirement again soon and want to do a bit of touring, even if it's not far down the road. I've got good waterproof panniers on both the Suzuki V-Strom (I'm hoping the Give hard case panniers are waterproof lol) and the Vivente all Ortliebs front and back. One never knows what's down the track with health and I've seen too many mates on my line of work die before they've gotten to enjoy retirement and while i might not be the fittest blokes around nor the most agile, I want to do this before I can't. I may not be able to do year long expeditions but i could probably do week long jaunts. On motorcycle tours, I can save myself a heap of money on accommodation by using a good tent and sleeping gear.
"ya gotta hold ya mouth right"

VWR Patagonia 2017
2003 Diamondback Sorrento Sport MTB

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:44 am

I've had both a B17 with and a B17 without the cutout. While I haven't noticed a big difference the saddle with the cutout does seem a little more comfy. Make sure you use the laces to tie the bottom together as it does help it keep shape. They do mould to your own rear end and I find them very good although some people never find Brooks leather saddles comfortable.

Not sure what a B52 is though, haven't heard of that one.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)