Which Bike Lock Where?

johnbrennan

Which Bike Lock Where?

Postby johnbrennan » Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:42 pm

Front Wheel or Rear Wheel?

The Abus U-Bolt is the stronger than the Abus Cobra Loop Cable.

Shall the Abus U-Bolt secure the Rear Wheel and the Abus Cobra Loop Cable secure the Front Wheel
OR
The other way round?

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Which Bike Lock Where?

Postby AUbicycles » Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:22 pm

I typically use the D-lock or U-Lock on the front wheel but (important) it also threads through the frame, typically the downtube and around the fixed pole or bike rack.

This means that the weaker cable can thread through the back wheel + frame + pole/rack. In the best case they are also setup at least partially independently so that if one lock is cut, the other is still providing a secure hold (but I understand that the D-Lock holds everything together but you can get creative).

So why the front wheel? Because it goes missing more often than the rear and is often easier for thieves to remove. The rear wheel with cassette is not as easily compatible with any other bike if a thief takes that and it a bit harder and maybe dirtier to remove.

However... for security I have installed and recommend installing axles that are harder to remove. No quick releases.
Cycling is in my BNA

johnbrennan

Postby johnbrennan » Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:11 pm

So why the front wheel? Because it goes missing more often than the rear and is often easier for thieves to remove.
Thank you kindly for your response.

Your comments were exactly what I wanted to hear. I was unsure whether the U-Bolt would be more suited to the front wheel, frame and rack combination, but you verified it for me thank you.

Kind Regards
John Brennan
Perth Australia.

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:57 pm

I 'Sheldon lock' my rear wheel, don't usually use a cable, but if I did I'd just loop it through the front wheel.

johnbrennan

Postby johnbrennan » Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:53 pm

Oh my gosh.

I can see two things that you may want to consider.

1. Lock the frame as well as the rear wheel.
2. Place your gear and chain assembly to the outside.

Kind Regards
John Brennan

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:55 am

johnbrennan wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:53 pm
1. Lock the frame as well as the rear wheel.
2. Place your gear and chain assembly to the outside.

1. No need. See here: https://www.sheldonbrown.com/lock-strategy.html

A U-lock can go around the rear rim and tire, somewhere inside the rear triangle of the frame without looping it around the seat tube: the wheel cannot be pulled through the rear triangle. A lock which passes around a rim makes the bicycle unrideable even if the object it is locked to can be broken or disassembled.

2. What difference does that make?

johnbrennan

Postby johnbrennan » Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:21 am

1. Granted. Within the triangle is satisfactory. My mistake.

Even though that is secure in itself, I would consider incorporating the frame. Your D-Lock or U-Lock seems large enough to do this. It's just another level of security that could keep prying eyes off your bike.

2. Your derailleur is protected from hitting against the rack or pole. (Contrary to what is stated in the link that you sent)

If you have time take a look at this clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZkJP9D6fms

07:18 mentions derailleur protection.

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:53 am

johnbrennan wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:21 am
Your D-Lock or U-Lock seems large enough to do this.

Stock image only, not my bike or lock. Mini U/D locks are preferred as it provides less space to insert a leveraging device.

Anyway, the best lock is the one you've got.

piledhigher

Postby piledhigher » Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:36 pm

P!N20 wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:53 am
johnbrennan wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:21 am
Your D-Lock or U-Lock seems large enough to do this.

Stock image only, not my bike or lock. Mini U/D locks are preferred as it provides less space to insert a leveraging device.

Anyway, the best lock is the one you've got.
The best lock is a slightly better one than the one next to you and a slightly worse bike.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:13 am

P!N20 wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:57 pm
I 'Sheldon lock' my rear wheel, don't usually use a cable, but if I did I'd just loop it through the front wheel.
It's a good idea... but in the stock photo there is clearly space for the lock to go around the frame and I would do this.

This type of locking is a bit tricky as a glance suggests the frame can be removed and I am certain bike thieves would try it... so you have vile people fiddling around and maybe damaging the bike.

@JohnBrennan, I would consider getting a padlock for the cable and then this is truely two independent locks that each have to be cut. For thieves it makes it look much harder and time consuming to steal. If thieves are setup to break a D-Lock, the cable-lock is annoying as a different technique or tools are needed.
Cycling is in my BNA

BritniPepper

Postby BritniPepper » Sun May 30, 2021 10:16 am

AUbicycles wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:22 pm
So why the front wheel? Because it goes missing more often than the rear and is often easier for thieves to remove. The rear wheel with cassette is not as easily compatible with any other bike if a thief takes that and it a bit harder and maybe dirtier to remove.

However... for security I have installed and recommend installing axles that are harder to remove. No quick releases.
If your D-Lock goes through the front wheel, surely nobody's going to bother removing it. What would be the point?

Britni

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Sun May 30, 2021 5:57 pm

BritniPepper wrote:
Sun May 30, 2021 10:16 am
If your D-Lock goes through the front wheel, surely nobody's going to bother removing it. What would be the point?
Nup, never happens
Image (wiki commons)

Like anything else it's a question of exposure vs opportunity and then applying the hierarchy of controls.

If you have to leave your bike outside, on the street, overnight, every night, then there's a bloody good chance that someone will try to pinch it. And will bring the right tools to defeat any lock. Especially if it looks saleable.

OTH, if you're stopping for an hour or two and park J-random-bike alongside a range of other bikes, then any old lock, used sensibly, will stop the lazy ***s from "riding it home". I have a small padlock and the baby kryptonite cable which serves this purpose.

For non-race bikes I like frame locks, but it is worth adding a bit of lightweight cable to make it look locked (otherwise Mr Would-be will attempt to roll it away) and can stop your front wheel going for a walk on it's own.

In high theft areas (or if you have to park the commuter outside) then going "full Dutch" with a framelock/chain combo is appropriate (e.g. ABUS 4850 LH KR + cable/chain accessory).

p.s. if you get a frame lock, make sure you get one with key retention. That is, you can only take the key out when it is locked.
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

BritniPepper

Postby BritniPepper » Mon May 31, 2021 2:37 am

Thoglette wrote:
Sun May 30, 2021 5:57 pm
BritniPepper wrote:
Sun May 30, 2021 10:16 am
Nup, never happens
Image (wiki commons)
Yeeees, but where's the frame? Here's the quote from the post I responded to:
AUbicycles wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:22 pm
I typically use the D-lock or U-Lock on the front wheel but (important) it also threads through the frame, typically the downtube and around the fixed pole or bike rack.
This is what I currently do, but with a cable combo lock. After watching a bunch of videos yesterday and visiting the LBS I've upgraded to kryptonite.