MTB night lighting - Recommendations

MichaelB

Re: MTB night lighting - Recommendations

Postby MichaelB » Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:23 pm

You are quite right there, but again, different people have different standards, and also usage patterns.

I'll happily accept a shorter life and less than optimal pattern for $56 delivered vs a Gloworm (that is similar in many aspects) but 4x the price. Not the same (actually far from it), but for what I do/ride, it's pretty close. And I'm sure some of the Lupine lights at 16x the price are way better. But $800, NFW.

As with many things, requirements and price sensitivity differs :-)

Cardy George

Postby Cardy George » Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:45 pm

foo on patrol wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:28 pm
I have not paid more than $45 for some head lights and get up to 4hrs riding with them, with multiple beam settings. So what is the so called "advantage" of paying mega $$$$ for lights? :? The light spread that I have from these cheapies, is brilliant. :mrgreen:

Foo
Reliability. I don't know what you ride, and make no judgements, but for me I need a robust light for true rough and tumble MTB, that has a usable run time, and can be charged and discharged daily without worrying about battery damage. The key here being daily use, all year long

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:54 am

Cardy George wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:45 pm
Reliability. I don't know what you ride, and make no judgements, but for me I need a robust light for true rough and tumble MTB, that has a usable run time, and can be charged and discharged daily without worrying about battery damage. The key here being daily use, all year long
Agree with that too.

I've had a good run previously with my "Magic Shine MJ800", but others haven't.

For me, I'll do the occasional night ride, on familiar trails (atm anyway) once a week over winter. Also, starting with a cheaper unit gets me to sample whether i want to keep doing it without a huge investment.

The input from many in this thread has been brilliant and much appreciated :D

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:07 am

Reliability is very important in a front light agreed, particularly if you only have one.
Wouldn't run cheapies as a single light based on my experience with them.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:09 am

warthog1 wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:07 am
Reliability is very important in a front light agreed, particularly if you only have one.

All of my cheapies are over 2yrs old and only one has given up the ghost on me but can't remember when I got that one, because I put a new one on every bike that I ride in the dark. Waiting on a new light that has the cut off on the beam, just like a car headlight but with this beer virus, it has/is taking it's time. I can't justify 100s of dollars for a single light so I'm way ahead with my $$$$$$s with the three of four cheapies that I have. :mrgreen:
'

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:24 am

foo on patrol wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:09 am
warthog1 wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:07 am

All of my cheapies are over 2yrs old and only one has given up the ghost on me but can't remember when I got that one, because I put a new one on every bike that I ride in the dark. Waiting on a new light that has the cut off on the beam, just like a car headlight but with this beer virus, it has/is taking it's time. I can't justify 100s of dollars for a single light so I'm way ahead with my $$$$$$s with the three of four cheapies that I have. :mrgreen:
'

Foo
It depends on what you do with them
If you are a heavy user and commute daily in all conditions you want reliability.
That was me.
When the commute can be an hour a 30 buck cheapie aint cutting it. Dangerous and very inconvenient when they die.

Now I use them rarely so have cheapies.
Hub powered lights no more.
2 aldi goers.
Would never commute just relying on one though.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:52 am

Finally, yes FINALLY got to try out the Cleanskin Duo last night.

BRIGHT ! Even during low light, the flashing mode was a bit distracting. Much brighter than the Ayups, but I reckon mine are closer to the older 400 Lumen versions, so that's to be expected. Light spread was similar, but much brighter. Still doesn't give me everything I need, but more expensive lights probably would be similar for the descent. Riding up may be different.

Think the end solution of the Cleanskin Duo on the bike and Ayup on the helmet is the way to go for when I get a bit more carries away (and fitter !)

Thanks all for the input, advice and experioences.

Much appreciated

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:27 am

Time for a thread revival or sorts.

The Cleanskin Duo that I used did well and especially what I needed for the price, but a few months ago, the powerboard with the charger on it committed hari-kari and threw itself on the floor. The really 'budget' construction revealed itself, so the decision was taken to bin it and invest properly come next winter season.

Well, in a fit of boredom waiting for the ladies of the household to get ready for a wedding, did some browsing for a decent front light. Browsed the FB market place as a starter, and found an Exposure Diablo Mk11. Read some reviews and despite the price, it got great feedback.

So browsed the new price, and managed to find the Mk14 version for $25 less than what was being offered on farceberk, so promptly placed the order.

Just waiting for winter onset !!

CmdrBiggles

Postby CmdrBiggles » Mon Feb 19, 2024 2:57 pm

Sounds like a good find. EXPOSURE lights are the bees' knees — I've been fascinated by their design and impressive credentials, but you pay a huge price for the technology and somewhat rudimentary/industrial design that I believe has caused a few issues, specifically the rear-light mounts. My MTB has been using Gemini DuoLite since 2015; I swear by them (and I swear a lot!! :lol: ); never once let me down and I get a good 3.5 hours on low beam from the 2AA cell battery pack. Same light is also installed on my beastly RAPTOR e-scooter (in strobe mode for city scootering). Something that puzzles and annoys me is that cyclists — roadies chiefly among, have some of the weakest "afterthought" front/rear light combos; if you're going to spend $8,000+++ on a road bike, surely the bike and you are worth a cuppla hundred more for top-notch lights that will last the distance? Or is it, God forbid, "too sissy" to ride with lights that will make you be seen??So what's with roadies dressing all in black, with p-poor lights at night? I have Bontrager Flare (R) and ION (F) lights on my GIANT, but generally avoid riding at dusk when hazards on the road become a serious concern in low light; I don't have options really if I am caught out in darkness from home being semi-rural.
GIANT 2024 TCR Advanced Pro Disc 0 AR | GT 2014 Zaskar 29er | 2022 Dragon Raptor e-scooter [Yellow Peril]

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Tue Feb 20, 2024 1:55 pm

CmdrBiggles wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 2:57 pm
Sounds like a good find. EXPOSURE lights are the bees' knees —...
The delivered price was $352 (yep, you read right) vs many sites having the same thing for $439.

And further to Cmdr Biggles comment, yep, I invest in potentially life saving devices (despite riding push bikes on the road) according to the value of 'me' within reason ***

*** = excessive amounts have been known to be spent on non-lifesaving devices in the past ....

CmdrBiggles

Postby CmdrBiggles » Tue Feb 20, 2024 2:45 pm

MichaelB wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 1:55 pm
CmdrBiggles wrote:
The delivered price was $352 (yep, you read right) vs many sites having the same thing for $439.

And further to Cmdr Biggles comment, yep, I invest in potentially life saving devices (despite riding push bikes on the road) according to the value of 'me' within reason ***

*** = excessive amounts have been known to be spent on non-lifesaving devices in the past ....

I think from observation with buying bikes and accessories, there is active discounting taking place across the floor: Trek, GIANT being two marques that have knocked prices down on bikes with dealers then also making further (salivating!) discounts. EXPOSURE lights were out of my financial reach until around 2-3 years ago; I made-do with that I could find and could correctly judge without walking into a shop during the dark, lonely days of long COVID lockdowns. Nothing has changed since then, now in substantially more prosperous times.

...excessive amounts have been known to be spent on non-lifesaving devices in the past[/quote]

But of course! No shame! :lol:
It is the norm in cycling to set a budget, blow it, extend it again, come back and smash it to pieces in order to get what you want.
GIANT 2024 TCR Advanced Pro Disc 0 AR | GT 2014 Zaskar 29er | 2022 Dragon Raptor e-scooter [Yellow Peril]

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:15 pm

MichaelB wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 1:55 pm
CmdrBiggles wrote:
Now that DLS has stopped and darkness arrives early, the refettling/repair of the ICAN also prompted me to get the Diablo out of the case and onto the bike to replace the trusty Trace front light.

It has so many different modes and options, it's almost a bit too complicated, but dayum, its BRIGHT !!!

Not cheap, but my life is worth a bit, so some items are not worth penny pinching !!