Recommendations for road bike pedals, please

barkbomes9

Recommendations for road bike pedals, please

Postby barkbomes9 » Thu May 14, 2020 3:42 am

Admin Note - this is a spam post.
It was created with content taken from elsewhere and designed to deceive and the author (spammer) edits to include dubious links.

If you spot any of these, please report it.

Hello,

I am currently riding a Reid Elite Falco 2013 model which I have no issues with, I originally bought it second hand as a commuter bike however recently I've been using it more especially as a form of exercise. I am still a novice and figured that new pedals would help me with inclines due to the force being able to be generated on the upward stroke of a cycle.

I did some research online and understand the differences between SPD and SPD-SL (I think). I think SPD is the system I would be more interested in as I am looking for a hybrid pedal like the Shimano A530 because I figure that if I was just commuting and not wearing my SPD cleats that it would still be comfortable.

I also have quite wide feet as well. I'm a US9.5 4E so I'm a bit hesitant on one of the hybrid pedals as they seem quite narrow. Another issue that I have is that my right leg is 2-3cm longer than my right so when pedaling on my current regular flat pedals I've noticed that my right leg tends to angle in (right heel sometimes making contact with my chain). Is this something that can be fixed with bike fitting? or can it be compensated with pedals i.e. having the right side at a different height from the ground in comparison to the left pedal?

Does anyone have any comments on choosing pedals for my bike?

Thanks
Last edited by barkbomes9 on Thu May 14, 2020 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gee

Re: Recommendations for road bike pedals, please

Postby Gee » Thu May 14, 2020 6:57 am

No help on the pedals but worth knowing, if you didn't already, that pedal cranks come in different lengths, so you could have say 172.5mm on one side and 175mm on the other. No idea if it would solve your problem and someone more qualified could advise

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Thu May 14, 2020 2:43 pm

I'll throw another type of pedal into the equation for you. Speedplay light action (or zero).
I wouldn't use anything else now days.
2013 BMC TM SLR01;2013/14 Bianchi Inf CV
2013 Lynskey Helix;2013 XACD Ti Di2
2013 Giant TCR Adv SL1;2014 Giant Defy Adv SL

stevenaaus

Postby stevenaaus » Thu May 14, 2020 9:40 pm

Shimano MTB pedals like the 530 are defintely the go for commuters imho, as you can wear normal shoes if desired, but more importantly walk around in your bike shoes without too much trouble.

I race around on MTB pedals - PD-M520 and PD-A520 . Probably not much diff in them really, but i prefer the expensive A model.
But, like you say, one flat-sided pedals are handy too.

cyclotaur

Postby cyclotaur » Thu May 14, 2020 10:38 pm

stevenaaus wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 9:40 pm
Shimano MTB pedals like the 530 are defintely the go for commuters imho, as you can wear normal shoes if desired, but more importantly walk around in your bike shoes without too much trouble.

I race around on MTB pedals - PD-M520 and PD-A520 . Probably not much diff in them really, but i prefer the expensive A model.
But, like you say, one flat-sided pedals are handy too.
^^^ Totally agree. :wink:
2023 Target: 9.500kms/100,000m
My old blog - A bit of fun :)
"Riding, not racing...completing, not competing"