Beyond 24"...?

MattyK

Beyond 24"...?

Postby MattyK » Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:48 pm

So my daughter is 11, and too big for the 24" bike she's had for a couple of years. (And my 8 year old son is big enough for it).

It's a shame because it's a great bike otherwise - a Scott Contessa, MTB with rigid fork and 1x7 drivetrain with a good wide 11-34 cassette. She doesn't offroad, I just want an allrounder that can go anywhere (paths, trails, grass) with comfort and ease.

I haven't seen anything similar in 26", does such a beast exist? An entry level MTB is the closest, but most appear to be 3x (which we don't need for just general cruising) and have suspension forks (which I also don't want for the same reason).

Thoglette

Re: Beyond 24"...?

Postby Thoglette » Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:41 pm

Yes and no. The easy answer is the Tokyobike CS or Bisou.
The utopian answer is a Rivbike Clem L (or H, depending on where you want the top tube.
ImageImage
Both are excuses to ask the important question - what is her stand over height? (or PBH)

This determines how low the seat needs to be. Which, if you've got a horizontal top tube, determines the top of the steerer tube, which sets the max wheel size.

Sensible bikes, like a typical Dutch Omafiets, and some mixtes, have the top of the steerer tube higher than the seat. Note that the Tokyo bikes Bisou fits this mold.

Here's a mixte from Linusbikes. I include it as, despite being 700C, and only coming in one size, it has a pretty low seat.

The damned-hard-work answer is that there's both a stash of old hard tail/fixed fork 26"MTBs out there. And 26" compatible mixtes. The danger is that they are now becoming "collectible"
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

jaseyjase

Postby jaseyjase » Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:05 pm

id consider a retro mtb, 26 inch wheels in a small size.

then just upgrade to modern components!

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:08 pm

Yeah an XS 26" frame seems the sensible choice, if something can be found in good condition. Then rebuild with a basic groupset. Hoping to not go full custom though...

Thanks Thog for the options, but those tyres mostly look a bit skinny.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:27 pm

I have been through two small frame 26” mountain bikes for my boys, both cheap second hand. Was able to upgrade the drivetrain and brakes on each to decent quality from the parts bin. Also have nice light (but older) air forks on the one we still have. Son 1 outgrew his small 26” too quickly, had him on 24” for a lot longer than the 26”. Glad I didn’t pay for a new one for him.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

Trevtassie

Postby Trevtassie » Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:21 am

I'd be looking for an old rigid 26" MTB. Take the front derailuer and smaller rings off. Something like an old Shogun, Giant or whatever.
Or one of these? https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/concord ... 1240699592

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:39 am

Trevtassie wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:21 am
I'd be looking for an old rigid 26" MTB. Take the front derailuer and smaller rings off. Something like an old Shogun, Giant or whatever.
Or one of these? https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/concord ... 1240699592
That Haro looks pretty spot on what I'm after. Thanks.

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:39 pm

My daughter has zero interest in offroading (anything bumpy or really loose stuff), so when she outgrew her 24" bike I got her a Giant Cross City sized XS with 32C tyres, which are okay to cut through grassy parks and hard packed gravel or limestone paths, as long as she dodges the really soft/sandy sections. 3x8 gearing so she can get up anything an 11 year old might attempt, and she LOVES how the 700c wheels ride.

My son will outgrow his 24" MTB within a year and he definitely likes trail riding, so I'll be cruising the local sites for an XS 27.5" bike that someone's kid grew out of, or they bought for their wife but she never got into the sport.
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:15 pm

Cool, I have pondered the Liv equivalent of that also, pushing the budget a bit hard though. Also still recommended for slightly taller than she is (currently 145) , and maybe I should cast aside my aversion of 1x (though I'm still not the biggest fan of the typical 3x7). Also tempted by MTBs just because they're so upright and she usually complains about sore wrists/hands.

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:03 pm

She went from 1x7 on a Reid Viper (24" x 1.75" I think) to 3x8 and 700 x 32c, and she's taken to the gearing really well with some coaching. Realistically she keeps it in the smallest front ring and uses half the cassette and only rarely pushes it into the middle front ring.

I got her the 2017 Alight 2 City with step through frame, about $500 on sale I think (being their last XS), it's very upright and comfy for her so no problems being too weight-forward, and not too heavy either. Mudguards and rear rack so it looks like her mum's bike :)
I've squeezed my 189cm onto the XS frame for some test rides and it's damn impressive and smooth. Considering it's pretty basic stuff, the gearing is really slick. "Entry level" gear has come a long way!

Her biggest "thumbs up" go to the trigger shifter vs the Reid's grip shifter, and the 700c wheels with narrower rubber.

When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:22 pm

So I found an extra small Marin Fairfax SC3 (flat bar roadie) in near new condition on FB, will give plenty of growing room, hydro brakes, 3x9, 700x32c.
A bit more than I wanted to spend but looks good, included a helmet, pump, lock, bike stand. Should be able to get the saddle low enough but the 170 cranks aren't optimum... a big jump from the current 140s.

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:17 pm

Spent a couple of hours going over the bike today, mostly degreasing because OMGosh it was covered in a good layer of grime. Not sure how because it's otherwise like new and was stored indoors. But unless it's just Tektro, the brakes seem pretty average I am hoping because of the pads and rotors getting contaminated. Wiped down with metho and tried to bed them in a bit, maybe fractionally better but not hugely so. Might need new pads. Otherwise it was great fun for atest ride.

Rider didn't fare so well, she smacked her foot very painfully this morning and has been crawling around all day...